Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

How Many People Eat Fish?

Search this Thread

Old 26-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Many People Eat Fish?

I am fancying a change... Can't really ask Google as there's always some twat who thinks anything but water is the devil's food, which leaves you unsure. I'm sure it's good? I used to have tuna, but I am on chicken. Have been eating over 400grams of it a day for months. I need a desperate change.

What's more expensive?

Benni.
Old 26-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fish is a great source of protein, essential oils, omega 3 etc

It can be quite pricey to buy, and it stinks the house out, but i love smoked cod
Old 26-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Smelly food isn't for me... But I'll give some Cod a try!!

Benni.
Old 26-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Smoked haddock's mucho nicer! As is haddock in general really.
Old 26-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Kieron
Advanced PassionFord User

Skate is the meatiest fish, its like steak but I doubt as cheap as some of the other more abundant popular types of fish. I have no idea as to its nutritional value though.

I love fish, was raised in a fishing town so it was a massive part of my diet as a kid. I really miss it now tbh and should eat more.

I do eat 2 tins of Tuna a day during the week though. Not quite fresh fish but is high in protein. 36g from a 185g tin IIRC. It is expensive but I try the own brands. Some are shite but some are really good. I found the Tesco Blue Stripe stuff to be really really good for about 35p a tin, lots of chunks and not the flakey shit that most other cheapo tins offer. I don't think Tesco do the value range anymore?? I normally have Morrisons own and its OK. Sometimes get the princess stuff when its on offer and I can find that to be low quality at times too. Still not as expensive as Chicken.
Old 26-03-2010, 12:24 PM
stevenebm
post whore

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i have a tin of tuna per day.also have cans of mackeral and sardines in olive oil that i have as a change now and again.got tuna steaks from morrisons last nite for 50p each as they had to be used by last night.the fuckers were Ł4 eah before being reduced
Old 26-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I like it, Tuna, salmon and mackrel usually.

Nice change from chicken sometimes.
Old 26-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Another good thing, Tuna and the likes doesn't shrink once cooked. Damn my best is loosing 50+ of weight on a 130gram piece. Pisses me off a bit, lol.

Benni.
Old 26-03-2010, 09:30 PM
kiddie

fish is lovely....
tuna at work, but for dinner I love rainbow trout, sea bass or smoked haddock/cod.
I eat it at least 3 times a week, I love fish.

I eat tesco's own brand tuna aswell, it's good value.
Old 26-03-2010, 09:33 PM
P412KER
PassionFord Regular

Plenty of tuna for me too, but love any smoked fish, and i am extremely fussy about it been skinned and boned.
Old 26-03-2010, 10:44 PM
mackers
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I`m quite partial to swordfish.
Old 26-03-2010, 11:03 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Love fish,smoked cod etc is lovely,mackerel too
Old 26-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I am gonna' go on the own brand tuna... Had enough of paying through the nose for something I dislike anyway!
Old 27-03-2010, 02:46 AM
twoblacklines

I love smoked salmon. But only from M&S, so dont eat it often (as i dont live near an M&S).

As to olive oil someone mentioned, a few people have told me its healthy to consume this, and others tell me its full of bad fats, carbs, and will kill you over time.

Which is the myth ?
Old 27-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Turbosimpsons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we own a chippy so fish always on the menu. deep fryed with chips. mmmmm.
Old 27-03-2010, 10:50 AM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by twoblacklines
I love smoked salmon. But only from M&S, so dont eat it often (as i dont live near an M&S).

As to olive oil someone mentioned, a few people have told me its healthy to consume this, and others tell me its full of bad fats, carbs, and will kill you over time.

Which is the myth ?

LOL.

That olive oil will definately kill you, stay clear.

Like anything, too much of it is a bad thing, it will do you no good. However, every diet should have a good quantity of healthy fats in it, olive oil is a good way to get some in but don't over do it that's all.
Old 31-03-2010, 07:10 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Just had some lovely smoked haddock or tea with roasted cherry tomotoes on the vine.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:04 PM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I eat a tin of tuna every day. Lucky my ASDA always has it on sale. 5 tin John West packs buy one get one free lol. I'm not a fish lover apart from that though although I do like Salmon.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by muz
I eat a tin of tuna every day. Lucky my ASDA always has it on sale. 5 tin John West packs buy one get one free lol. I'm not a fish lover apart from that though although I do like Salmon.
Damn, that's a good offer.

Benni.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by a rs licker
we own a chippy so fish always on the menu. deep fryed with chips. mmmmm.
Wheres ya chippy? Your gonna get sampled

Love my fish now I have stopped working with it, never ate the stuff when I worked at the fish market and it was free

Mackerel fillets, Salmon, Haddock, Halibut, Tuna steaks
Rarely do the tinned stuff, only in a jacket spud or mixed with rice
Old 02-04-2010, 06:46 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by muz
What do you have with it m8 ? I usually have tuna and onion or tai sweet chilli tuna.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Pete frst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

gotta eat fish pal,try finding a fresh fish shop,get there on sat,near closeing and should be able to do a deal,bag up the portions and freeze.........
Old 02-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Every tuesday on the way home from t'pub with plenty o salt n vinegahh
Old 03-04-2010, 07:41 AM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by KSA-Cossie
What do you have with it m8 ? I usually have tuna and onion or tai sweet chilli tuna.
I'm quite lucky thatn I like boring foods. I can just sit there at lunch time, open a can and just eat it. But sometimes I boil up some rice and mix it in with rice, or just out of the tin with some sort of sauce. Splash of Worcester, Tobasco etc or just some ground black pepper.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:59 AM
NonCustom
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Fresh fish not is never fresh, its usually between 2-3 days old due to transport, distribution centers and fish markets etc...thats why it has that characteristic fishy smell which is actually trethylamine which is produced when the protein in the flesh starts to denature, not the best IMO.

Frozen fish, like veg is frozen on day of catching/collection, usually within 30-60 mins, therefore it keeps its nutritional content and freezing does not change any component of the food.

Tuna can be very high in heavy metal and PCB/organic chemicals which can cause things like pancreatic cancer. This is because they are at the top of the food chain and so concentrate these pollutants from the thousands of prey items they consume.

I go for frozen Hoki or Pollock, preferably from North Sea.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Kieron

Originally Posted by NonCustom
Tuna can be very high in heavy metal and PCB/organic chemicals which can cause things like pancreatic cancer. This is because they are at the top of the food chain and so concentrate these pollutants from the thousands of prey items they consume.

I go for frozen Hoki or Pollock, preferably from North Sea.
Its actually regulated by the aurthorities upon entry into the country. If its not packaged by a registered factory, fiashed in the correct way, marked up correctly on the tin, complimented by its relevant health cert etc etc then it goes to landfill. Its also tested for the aflotoxins you mention so as to not let any in that has high contents.

Same as some nuts, dates and figs and various other fruits.

You would have to eat more than humanly possible for it to effect you the levels are that low. Whereas you fish caught in the north sea are not restricted to any manditory tests that I know of. I wouldn't wash my feet in the north sea let alone brag about the quality of the food that comes from it.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:46 PM
NonCustom

Originally Posted by Kieron
Its actually regulated by the aurthorities upon entry into the country. If its not packaged by a registered factory, fiashed in the correct way, marked up correctly on the tin, complimented by its relevant health cert etc etc then it goes to landfill. Its also tested for the aflotoxins you mention so as to not let any in that has high contents.

Same as some nuts, dates and figs and various other fruits.

You would have to eat more than humanly possible for it to effect you the levels are that low. Whereas you fish caught in the north sea are not restricted to any manditory tests that I know of. I wouldn't wash my feet in the north sea let alone brag about the quality of the food that comes from it.
Doh, didnt know you worked fot he WHO, so PCB, PCDD, PCDF, organophosphates/chlorates/chlorides, heavy metals HG/PB and teragenics are all measued by who? Didnt know I mentioned Aflatoxins as well, must have missed something, although they are only really an issue for imported dates, which unless your fairly foreign, shouldnt be that much of an issue.

North Sea aint too bad, its all to do with bioaccumulation, turnover rates, pollution indexes and lest not forget, processing.

But hey, you obviously know all that, like the North Sea is particularly shallow (it used to be a land bridge until 13K years ago), has a high oceanic turnover and far less industrial discharges from the west costs of Europe due to their increased environmental controls, over sya the North of Scotland or the East coast of Britain....

hey its Easter and the king has returned, long live the King.....
Old 04-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Kieron

You had me interested until mentioning the King as a poor attempt to insult me. Although I see from your drivel on the other post though that its not worth getting roped into a discussion with you as you can't seem to do it without looking down your nose at everyone else.

Enjoy your ramblings, I'm off to find the ignore button.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:56 PM
kiddie

You had me interested until mentioning the King as a poor attempt to insult me. Although I see from your drivel on the other post though that its not worth getting roped into a discussion with you as you can't seem to do it without looking down your nose at everyone else.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:41 AM
NonCustom

Think youre getting confused there buddy, it is Easter, then again if you want to think youre JC, go ahead, I dont mind.