Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Too old to train...

Search this Thread

Old 19-09-2009, 08:01 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Too old to train...

well im 34 now, 35 next year. Im 5ft 12 and weigh 10 stone just over. Ive never ever been happy with my physique at all.More so now at the age im at...

When i was 19 i did train but lost weight when i trained but gained great tonal (cut is the word i think?)features (which i still have) and stupidly went on steroids (dinabol and methatestoserone) It sent me a bit mad lol, but did put weight on but jacked it in cos of the cost of steroids.

I have a very fast metabolism and given my job never get chance to eat when i should.

Thing is, am i too old now to "bulk" up, and if it isnt what plan should i be usingor can anyone recomend for a hard gainer like me???

Just fed up about it now and want to do it as a last chance. Realistically what would i could i look like in 12 months??

Any any help really appreciated please.
Old 19-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

All i know is... youre never too old honey!
Old 19-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

What u gonna lose? At worse u will have spent some more time down the gym and feel better for it

At 10 stone I can't see u losing weight surely just get defenition

By the way are u 5'12 or 6'
Old 19-09-2009, 09:23 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lol your 6 foot then
Old 19-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lad in my gym only started 4 years ago and he came second in a bodybuilding competition and was aiming for first in a recent competition he missed out on. He's 38. You're never too old.

Benni.
Old 19-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Never too old.

Forget roids this time though, certainly at the start anyway.

Focus on eating alot more. Good foods, high in protein, eggs, fish, chicken, steak etc... then get down the gym with a structured routine, hitting all bodyparts approx once a week.

First 6 weeks you should notice alot of change, then it gets slower but this is when you gotta keep plugging away at it. few years down the line if you are still there, you should have a decent physique then maybe steroids are the next step. Ive never done it so wouldn't like to comment, all i know is they aint something to take now, when you are just getting into training.

Diet is very important though, without nutrients your body cant grow, simple.
Old 20-09-2009, 05:13 AM
The Sludge
garibaldi

Originally Posted by Benni
A lad in my gym only started 4 years ago and he came second in a bodybuilding competition and was aiming for first in a recent competition he missed out on. He's 38. You're never too old.

Benni.
wow-thats given me a bit more inspiration to do it
Old 20-09-2009, 05:14 AM
The Sludge
garibaldi

Originally Posted by Coldo
Never too old.

Forget roids this time though, certainly at the start anyway.

Focus on eating alot more. Good foods, high in protein, eggs, fish, chicken, steak etc... then get down the gym with a structured routine, hitting all bodyparts approx once a week.

First 6 weeks you should notice alot of change, then it gets slower but this is when you gotta keep plugging away at it. few years down the line if you are still there, you should have a decent physique then maybe steroids are the next step. Ive never done it so wouldn't like to comment, all i know is they aint something to take now, when you are just getting into training.

Diet is very important though, without nutrients your body cant grow, simple.

cheers fella Any kind of routine you could recomend?
Old 20-09-2009, 07:54 AM
smudgerz
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Your never to old mate, im 38 and still train most days. The only thing ive found is that i seem to get injured easyer and it takes longer to recover!!

Smudge
Old 20-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by The Sludge
cheers fella Any kind of routine you could recomend?

It depends how much time you have to be at the gym each week? Everyday? once a week, 3 times a week etc?

A push/pull/legs routine is always raved about - something like below, 3 sessions a week. 3 sets of 10 for each excersise.

push:

flat bench
inline bench
close grip bench
military press
skull crushers
laterals
cuban rotations

pull:

deadlifts
pull ups
bent over rows
shrugs
bb curl
hammer curls
side laterals

legs:

squats
hamstring curls
leg extensions
calf raises
Or you could go for an upper body/lower body split, or you could split all bodyparts over 4 days etc... different things work for different people. Also try and mix it up every 6/8weeks.

(All above is only imo!)
Old 20-09-2009, 10:19 AM
arch
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

well im 34 now, 35 next year. Im 5ft 12 and weigh 10 stone just over. Ive never ever been happy with my physique at all.More so now at the age im at...

When i was 19 i did train but lost weight when i trained but gained great tonal (cut is the word i think?)features (which i still have) and stupidly went on steroids (dinabol and methatestoserone) It sent me a bit mad lol, but did put weight on but jacked it in cos of the cost of steroids.

I have a very fast metabolism and given my job never get chance to eat when i should.

Thing is, am i too old now to "bulk" up, and if it isnt what plan should i be usingor can anyone recomend for a hard gainer like me???

Just fed up about it now and want to do it as a last chance. Realistically what would i could i look like in 12 months??

Any any help really appreciated please.
What gym do you use mate? I'm 39 with the big 40 fast approaching. I'm still plugging away though. I never seem to get any bigger mind, I have reached that much talked about plateau and training alone it is very difficult to progress. I could give you a kick up the ass if you need it

Still, whenever I think of giving it up I take two weeks off, realise I miss the 'pump' and get back into it.
Old 20-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Dirty Harry
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Iam 42 and train in the gym 5 times a week plus marital arts twice a week,Iam 6.1 and 102.5 K with a 36 waist
Old 21-09-2009, 04:38 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

Originally Posted by arch
What gym do you use mate? I'm 39 with the big 40 fast approaching. I'm still plugging away though. I never seem to get any bigger mind, I have reached that much talked about plateau and training alone it is very difficult to progress. I could give you a kick up the ass if you need it

Still, whenever I think of giving it up I take two weeks off, realise I miss the 'pump' and get back into it.

i havnt started at a gym yet tbh. need to look for one
Old 21-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

My advice to you would be to join a proper weight lifting gym if you can find one. The people are usually friendlier and the atmosphere, general feel of the place is nicer. I've asked lots of people advice and even been given lots without asking.

They might not be as posh, clean as the bigger gyms, but I think they're better.

Benni.
Old 21-09-2009, 06:26 PM
arch

i havnt started at a gym yet tbh. need to look for one
I use the one on the BCR near to Fitness first (don't join FF, shite), called ChangeURShape (if you know it then spacehoppaz kids fun house used to be next door). Anyway, very basic gym, nothing fancy. Has a weights room that some may argue is not enough. Biggest dumbell is 45kg(which I still struggle to bench with, I feel it has become my nemesis) has a Smiths machine instead of flat bench/Olympic bar etc.

Run by nice friendly folks and quite cheap.

It's also not a spit n sawdust kinda place either. I have also tried the cricket ground/sports union gym, but clocked some undesirable folk in there.

Behind Brunswick Park is the iron man gym, near to the Queens Head pub. I went in there once, felt like a scene from American werewolf where everyone stared at the stranger, so did one. My puny physique was no match for some of the monsters in there
Old 21-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

If you eat the right things and lift heavy, i.e, to stimulate muscle growth, you will put on muscle and bulk up. That's a fact. The hardest bit is sticking to it! You need to be doing low reps with high weight(although I'm sure you know this). I used to do 3 or 4 sets of 6-8 reps for each exercise with the heaviest weight I could lift while maintaining form.

I have a light bone structure. I'm currently 10 stone(5ft 9). When I was doing physical work and lifting weights at night I was around 10 and a half stone and had a lot of muscle for my build. Even half a stone is a fair difference when you have a light build.
Old 22-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Kieron

Never too old! I have found the older I get the more I seem to be injured though. It might be part of getting old or it might be me pushing myself with heavier weights? Who knows but I do know that without training I would look like shit! I'm not far off that now tbh

I look at how my dad deteriorated in his 30's from poor diet, lack of exercise and drinking and I dont wish to go like that. Although I don't want to give up the drink either.
Old 22-09-2009, 04:53 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

I use the one on the BCR near to Fitness first (don't join FF, shite), called ChangeURShape (if you know it then spacehoppaz kids fun house used to be next door). Anyway, very basic gym, nothing fancy. Has a weights room that some may argue is not enough. Biggest dumbell is 45kg(which I still struggle to bench with, I feel it has become my nemesis) has a Smiths machine instead of flat bench/Olympic bar etc.

Run by nice friendly folks and quite cheap.

It's also not a spit n sawdust kinda place either. I have also tried the cricket ground/sports union gym, but clocked some undesirable folk in there.

Behind Brunswick Park is the iron man gym, near to the Queens Head pub. I went in there once, felt like a scene from American werewolf where everyone stared at the stranger, so did one. My puny physique was no match for some of the monsters in there

i know it yes-i live on the new barratts estate by morrisons Thing is, as youve said im a bit concerned about me walking in and thers all these huge guys around not sure whether id feel comfortable going onmy own or whether to buy a multigym
Old 22-09-2009, 06:12 PM
arch

Multigym? Seems they never quite carry enough weight.

Changurshape has an offer on at the moment, I think Ł225 for the year. There are no 'big blokes in there mate, so no inferiority complex needed.

I will not be training this week, on a course at work (off road motor cycling on 400 huskies) and I am truly knackered at the end of the day.
Old 22-09-2009, 06:17 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

Multigym? Seems they never quite carry enough weight.

Changurshape has an offer on at the moment, I think Ł225 for the year. There are no 'big blokes in there mate, so no inferiority complex needed.

I will not be training this week, on a course at work (off road motor cycling on 400 huskies) and I am truly knackered at the end of the day.

true i guess, but may be worth using starting out again I may try it then. Lol bet you knackered.

Dare i ask and be cheeky and ask whether we could meet up so i could go in with you??
Old 22-09-2009, 08:07 PM
arch

true i guess, but may be worth using starting out again I may try it then. Lol bet you knackered.

Dare i ask and be cheeky and ask whether we could meet up so i could go in with you??

No worries mate, I will be going Saturday morning, about 8:30. PM me your number if this is any good to you.

I would just add that I only train for 25mins tops (one body part at a time) my interest level has gone by then. I find it works for me this way. Get in get out, job jobbed.
Old 22-09-2009, 08:12 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

No worries mate, I will be going Saturday morning, about 8:30. PM me your number if this is any good to you.

I would just add that I only train for 25mins tops (one body part at a time) my interest level has gone by then. I find it works for me this way. Get in get out, job jobbed.
ta pal. i cant do this sat as im at work (store manger for somerfield)

25 mins sounds good to me-thank you
Old 25-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Badman38
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

never too old http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5om6gbDwA8 puts a lot of people 1/4 of his age to shame

sean
Old 25-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i im a bit concerned about me walking in and thers all these huge guys around not sure whether id feel comfortable going onmy own or whether to buy a multigym
Don't buy a multigym, get yourself to the gym where these big guys are, it'll only be intimidating the first time you go, after that initial 'first day at a new school' feeling you'll be fine.

Those huge guys are only normal people who have lifted a few weights over the years, theyre probably the best ones to train with and around because they generally know what theyre doing and talking about with regards to diet, exercise routines and any other info you're after. In my experience they do look a bit intimidating/daunting at first but they're friendly enough once you get chatting
Old 25-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by Red16
Those huge guys are only normal people who have lifted a few weights over the years, theyre probably the best ones to train with and around because they generally know what theyre doing and talking about with regards to diet, exercise routines and any other info you're after. In my experience they do look a bit intimidating/daunting at first but they're friendly enough once you get chatting
I completely agree with this. I was like 'I'm skinny compared to all these' but you have to remember, they all started like we did and they are not up their own arse like I've found in some posher gyms. They'll tell you if you are doing it wrong because they are well into it, and are only to happy to give good advice. Last night in my gym I was struggling with flies and one came over and gave me some advice, did a few and I copied him which made it better. I've gone in before today and trained with a total stranger, and we helped each other out giving a touch. What more can you ask for?

Benni.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Minirotty
Lucifer II - 666

Received 303 Likes on 197 Posts

whats with the 5ft 12" Ian mate?