Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Few tips for me...

Search this Thread

Old 15-07-2009, 06:19 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Few tips for me...

Ok, I know this has been done before and I apologise for bringing it up again and asking the same stuff.

As some of you know I'm starting to get back into gym after a loooong time away from it and letting things (weight, diet, exercise etc) get out of control.. its hard work but find it rewarding after I've made the effort down the gym and have gotten that focus back again.

I go to gym 4 times a week, after my breakfast since I've read the body is more receptive in the morning and that its best to train on a reasonably empty stomach to burn off reserves rather than food you've eaten. Generally what I do down the gym just now is:

45 mins cardio stuff spread across rowing machine, bike and cross trainer.

45 mins in swimming pool, probably 30 of that swimming, with 15 spread across sauna, jacuzzi and steam room.

I've never been super clued up on correct diet etc, although I have a reasonable understanding about whats good and bad for you.. I'm not sure what I should be aiming for while I'm trying to achieve some level of fitness and a realistic waist size again.

What I have been eating main meal-wise is:

9am - Fruit (something like pears, oranges, bananas, apples) or if low on fruit then a bowl of muesli & ss milk, with cup of tea

1pm - Chicken on wholemeal roll/bread, with extra chicken on side and couple of pints of ice water

5pm - Baked Potato with Chicken

Through the day I'll have water and fruit here and there if I feel hungry/thirsty.

At the moment, I'm wanting to lose weight quickly, I'm really not fussed about gaining muscle size or lifting mega weights... I do fancy getting into a reasonable level of weights in the future though, but thats a LONG way off!!

I was just seeing if people 'in the know' could have a nosey over what I'm doing and see if theres bits to improve on, add in, or completely change!!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 16-07-2009, 02:52 PM
dp1958
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what your doing looks ok for reducing fat levels,i wouldnt worry about accidently pileing on muscle, i sometimes here the " i dont wont to get big!" statement at the gym,, .believe me it aint easy, but what i would say to you is if you want to gain and try for a bit of size,shape, in the future start now while you have a bit of weight on this will give you a bit of strength and energy and at the same time will burn off fat..kill two birds with one stone....
Old 16-07-2009, 03:16 PM
vroomtshh
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by dp1958
what your doing looks ok for reducing fat levels,i wouldnt worry about accidently pileing on muscle, i sometimes here the " i dont wont to get big!" statement at the gym,, .believe me it aint easy, but what i would say to you is if you want to gain and try for a bit of size,shape, in the future start now while you have a bit of weight on this will give you a bit of strength and energy and at the same time will burn off fat..kill two birds with one stone....

Actually thats the worst possible thing to do. Concentrate on one or the other. Either build muscle, or reduce fat.
To do both is a lot more difficult.

And dont ever expect to 'pile on muscle'. It just doesnt work that way. Muscle growth is a pretty slow process. Your body already has muscle. Cut your body fat, to show what you already have, then start to build it up.

Your current regime and diet will work well for losing fat. I'd prefer to see a more substantial breakfast though. Porridge, weetabix etc along with fruit.
Old 17-07-2009, 10:14 AM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Thanks for the info, thought I was gonna get zero replies there!!

I'll take on board the breakfast comment and do a bowl of porridge in addition to the fruit in the morning from now on, is that diet ok even on days that I'm not training?? Obviously I dont want to be taking backwards steps on the days that I'm not doing any proper exercise.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 17-07-2009, 10:29 AM
vroomtshh
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by RS Grant
Thanks for the info, thought I was gonna get zero replies there!!

I'll take on board the breakfast comment and do a bowl of porridge in addition to the fruit in the morning from now on, is that diet ok even on days that I'm not training?? Obviously I dont want to be taking backwards steps on the days that I'm not doing any proper exercise.

Cheers,
Grant
It all depends what you want from your diet. And how you are. Your diest would do nothing for me as the wholemeal roll and baked potato would take any benefits away. They are nto bad foods but do not suit my body.

To lose weight, i cut out carbs instantly other than breakfast. I would probably say if anything, your not eating enough.
Old 17-07-2009, 12:25 PM
dp1958
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

getting in to shape is,to be fair, all down to each individual, what i think is right and what the next man does might not be good for you, personally if i cut out too many carbs i feel my power drops a bit,the same with training everybody has their own ideas sets,reps and so on,you really have to suss it out for yourself.stay with it...its worth it....'D'
Old 17-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

That diet, although low calorie, isn't the greatest. Its ok/better than average though.

I'll post my weight loss diet below, however i would like to say that this is a diet i nicked/adapted from a bodybuilding website, it isn't the easiest to follow on a day to day basis if you work 9-5 etc but it done wonders for me - the idea of eating 6 times a day is to keep the metabolism ticking over, if you dont eat for 4hours etc... it slows down, becomes less effective at burning up the calories consumed.

Prepare to be very hungry for the first couple of weeks, then you will be fine.

08:00 - 3 egg ommelette and 40g oats in milk
10:00 - protein bar of sorts and 1 boiled egg
12:30 - 80g cous cous with 200g chicken
14:30 - Banana and tin of tuna
17:30 - Gym - 90-100mins cardio
19:30 - 200g chicken, boiled egg and loads of steamed veg

If i was feeling peckish, i would try and eat a boiled egg white. Not always possible though.

Chicken breasts, tuna/any fish and eggs are the 3 things you MUST include in your diet imo.

As for adding muscle while losing weight, if you are new to the gym/training, it can be done but nothing dramatic. Although if you want, have a few months on the weights, add some muscle - the more muscle you carry, the quicker your metabolism works, so in theory you will burn up any calories more easily. Personally i would just beast the cardio 4/5 times a week and do a full body workout once or twice if you fancy.

Good luck and stick in.

Last edited by Coldo; 17-07-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 20-07-2009, 03:01 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Thanks for the advice guys, and Coldo I appreciate the slightly more detailed run-down of what you were doing too.. since I'm coming from a very similar start position!!

Cheers,
Grant