Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Well I have finally joined the Gym- Help lol !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:59 AM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well I have finally joined the Gym- Help lol !!!

Well i have just joined Fitness First and as i have no football during the summer months i can really push and get fit for next season.

I am currently 15 st and about 6ft1...i dont look fat ( well i dont think i do) and im sure people on here who have met me will agree, but i would really like to trim down and start to build my arms and stomach muscles.

I have huge legs from playing football so much but i want to get a flat stomach back and also my arms have lost alot of definition so need to get them back.

Problem is i have no idea what to do in the gym or were to start.

Anyone got any ideas or workout plans for a beginner

Old 04-06-2009, 03:57 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

bttt lol

loads of people have looked but no one has replied lol
Old 04-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Diet is just as important as the gym is. If you want to shape up a bit you need to eat right. Lots of protein (chicken, eggs, fish), lowish amount of carbs (rice/pasta) and some good fats (olive oil/natural peanut butter) will all help bring your BF % down a bit and you will look more defined.

As for losing fat, get on the treadmill, keep your HR at 65-75% of its max. A fast walking pace with a slight incline does the trick. You should be able to hold a conversation when you are doing it - i.e. train in an aerobic state (with oxygen) as opposed to an anerobic state (without oxygen)

If possible train in the am, before eating - this burns reserves rather than the carbs in your last meal - that said, i can't/dont train am and i've done fine.

When lifting weights, go for reps over heavy weights, i.e. dont pickup the biggest weight you can lift, go for a manageable weight but lift it 12+ times each set.

Dont be a poser and neglect to train your legs, no matter how good you think they are - working legs uses more energy and therefor calories than working any other bodypart so get squatting and deadlifting.

I'll post back later if i think of anymore tips but those are what i was told when i started training and they have worked well so far.

Good luck.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:39 AM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Cheers Mate.

Will get back with results soon
Old 05-06-2009, 10:47 AM
godzilla
BANNED
BANNED

Keep with it bud!! The gym can get a bit boring as sometimes you wont see great results, but all in good time!!

As said above from Coldo.... Keep your diet clean and full of protien. Get yourself a good multi-vit and aim to be eating 220g of protien per day. You can get protien supp's from most health food shops. Eggs, chciken, steak, turkey, mince, peanuts, milk are all good sources of protien. Also eat every 3 hours.

Once in the gym stick to the basics!! Squats, deadlifts, bench press, dips, chins, rows....... These are the main builders. Dont be fooled by looking at some flash machine.....keep with the free weights. If you feel faint or slightly sick sit down for 5 mins and drink some water, fairly common to feel a bit yuk after going heavy on the basics.

Eat well, sleep 8-9 hours a night, train 3-4 times a week spending no more than 45 mins in the gym...... You get all these right and you will grow fast!! Most important though...... Keep eating as much protien as you can!!
Old 07-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Don't forget your shoulders, Dan. These will help a lot.

Benni.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:58 PM
godzilla
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Benni
Don't forget your shoulders, Dan. These will help a lot.

Benni.

True bud.

Behind the neck press's. A few trainers in gyms will tell you not to do these. Basically its because its an un-naturual movement and a few have had injuries from it. See how you get on with them. Start with just a barbell with no weights and do 1 set of 6 reps. In the end you will be pushing 60kg and be on the way to some ultra big and sculptured shoulders!
Old 07-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by godzilla
True bud.

Behind the neck press's. A few trainers in gyms will tell you not to do these. Basically its because its an un-naturual movement and a few have had injuries from it. See how you get on with them. Start with just a barbell with no weights and do 1 set of 6 reps. In the end you will be pushing 60kg and be on the way to some ultra big and sculptured shoulders!

Sorry to hi-jack slightly - but do you do these standing? or seated on the smith machine? Also, how low should you bring your elbows? 90degrees or bring the bar right down to touch your shoulders?
Old 08-06-2009, 01:01 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

My trainer has me doing them seated on a smith machine. I kinda' hate them but I can see they are good. When I get stronger I will be moved onto the seated bar I think. I have seen people do them standing also.

Benni.

Last edited by Benni; 08-06-2009 at 01:07 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:03 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Some videos for you, Coldo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5wF6...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZj0S...eature=related

Benni.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:07 AM
godzilla
BANNED
BANNED

I do them standing with barbell. Good to keep with Smith machine whilst seated until you feel comfortable, maybe 8-10 weeks then go for the barbell whilst standing. You should be able to feel your shoulders burn, always a good sign something is working!
Old 09-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honey if youre at fitness first, they 'should' sort out a proper program for you free of charge!
Old 15-06-2009, 10:51 PM
]cal[

im 17 and 6ft and 15st,
do all the big muscle groups once aweek n small ones twice aweek,and stay with 3-4 exercises per muscle group and 8-10 reps per exersize, this is wat i do..

monday: triceps - shoulders

tuesday: back

wednesday: biceps - forarms

thursday: chest

friday: triceps - biceps - forarms

saturday: legs

and just eat 7-9 meals a day with over 300g of protein and 600g of carbs a day and you will soon start building muscle.