Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Worried about running.......

Old 09-03-2009, 11:43 AM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worried about running.......

Well as you all know I've been back at the gym since I had Bethany and I'm getting back to my usual gym routine when I'm there. But I'm worried.

My son's GF's dad collapsed and died of a massive heart attack while he was out running. He was a fit bloke who enjoyed jogging and from what I can gather he didn't live a dodgy lifestyle and was pretty healthy, well obviously apart from his heart.

What I'm worried about is what if something similar happens to me. I know it sounds crazy but it really is worrying me. I still smoke and I love to have a few glasses of wine every week so my lifestyle isn't exactly the best it could be. I can hear you all now saying, 'well give up smoking and stop drinking the wine' but it isn't as simple as that. Even if I do give up smoking and go tee total I have still damaged my heart. Realistically what are the chances of it happening to me?
Old 09-03-2009, 11:50 AM
pa_sjo
Colossal Pervert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not go to the gym and have an introductary session with a personal trainer, who will give you some light CV work and measure your heart rate/bp etc? It'll give you at least some idea.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:56 AM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

I think your right, I haven't had a physical assessment since I went back to the gym and I've basically just went straight back into the routine I used to do before I had Bethany.

I'll make an appointment with my trainer so he can do a fitness assessment. Will that give me an idea of whether I'm likely to keel over from a heart attack? Will it tell me how weak/strong my heart is?
Old 09-03-2009, 12:07 PM
pa_sjo
Colossal Pervert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't be so paranoid about it.. if it was a history in YOUR family tree, then sure get checked over... but it's not, so just go get a basic check and gradually ramp up until you get fit and healthy.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:38 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

Both of my grandfathers had heart attacks, my mams dad didn't have a serious one and he was OK after it but my dads dad died from his so you could say that heart disease is in my family.

I'm going to the gym this afternoon so if my trainer is in I'll have a word and see what he says. I know I'm probably worrying about nothing but since what's happened I just can't help it.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:37 PM
godzilla
BANNED
BANNED

Hi Claire

Heart disease is carried through the genes but very very rarely to the females.

What you really dont want to do is think about it whilst jogging, it will be bloody hard but try and focus on something else like Bethany when she startrs School, where you can take your Mi-16 for a good Country blast, anything but heart attacks. The reason for this is once you start thinking about it your brain will go into overdrive and the next thing you know you will be having chest pains and shortness of breath, of course the first thing that will come to mind is 'heart attack' but really it will be a panic attack. The mind can mimic it as you have led yourself to believe 'Will I have a heart attack?'

You can always see the GP and ask for a cholestrol test, insist it is done as majority of GP's are only to quick to say 'Oh.....you dont need one of those' But you have every right to have one. When results come back make sure the levels are not over 5.2.

Before your jog make sure you have had a decent amount of fluids, none of these special energy drinks, they are all hype and full of caffeine. Stick to water. Also make sure you have a decent amount of complex carbs like otta, brown bread, bit of pasta or rice......this should be consumed within 45 mins before your jog.

Any worries give me a call, Scott has my number.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:39 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

Thank you

I have to admit that it does go through my head when I'm on the treadmill and like you said the more I think about it the more paranoid I get when I get any kind of little niggly pain

I normally set myself distance goals instead of time goals as it helps me concentrate on something when I'm running. I normally do 5km, and each session I try and beat my previous time
Old 09-03-2009, 06:47 PM
godzilla
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by **Claire**
Thank you

I have to admit that it does go through my head when I'm on the treadmill and like you said the more I think about it the more paranoid I get when I get any kind of little niggly pain

Sooooo common!! A mate of mine was taking a very strong Anabloic Steroid. He read that this certain one had caused strokes in some. Well I got a call from him in the early hours of the morning with him in a total state saying the right side of his body had gone numb. I rushed round to see him and got him to A+E, after many tests etc it turned out he had a huge panic attack that mimic'd a stroke, amazing how the brain works!!

Saying going numb down one side, I had this a few weeks ago, scared the life out out of me. I was admitted and tests came back and all was clear, phew!! Turned out with me it was stress and my body had coped with it by shutting down one side of my body HOOOOOOGE thanks to Sunny for being there for me......Top Man

Another great distraction is music! Get your fav' tunes on an Ipod and jog away whilst listening to them, good fast tracks really help! I listen to early 90's Dreamscape tunes when I do cardio, really helps, although not good when I try to start doing my rave moves and look a complete nerd
Old 09-03-2009, 06:56 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

I'd have shit myself if that was me, I'm the worlds worst pessimist so I would have thought my number was up

It's great that you've got mates who come to your rescue though

I have my MP3 player but I haven't used it for ages as I used to spend half my time with my fingers in my ears trying to keep the headphones in Not good when your trying to run through a stitch without using your arms. I wouldn't break out into dance though I'd just randomly start singing (I have Kylie on mine) which would get me some seriously dodgy looks
Old 09-03-2009, 07:19 PM
godzilla
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by **Claire**
I'd have shit myself if that was me, I'm the worlds worst pessimist so I would have thought my number was up

It's great that you've got mates who come to your rescue though

I have my MP3 player but I haven't used it for ages as I used to spend half my time with my fingers in my ears trying to keep the headphones in Not good when your trying to run through a stitch without using your arms. I wouldn't break out into dance though I'd just randomly start singing (I have Kylie on mine) which would get me some seriously dodgy looks

Sunny is a true mate......helped me out alot

Kylie..... Excellent!! I still have her original CD with 'I should be so lucky' 'Especially for you (Jason Donovan)' I know im sad Danni Minogue has some great tunes for cardio as some are fairly fast beat
Old 09-03-2009, 07:29 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

You know what, I used to love her stuff, I personally thought she was better looking when she had her blonde hair I'll have to put some of her music onto my MP3 player and try and get a better pair of headphones

To be honest I miss not having my music as it can be really distracting listening to everyone around you. Especially when you have loads of blokes behind you doing arm dips with a really heavy weight chained to their weight belt making noises that you would be proud of in the bedroom. Seriously I nearly fell off the back of the treadmill one night when I tried to turn round to see who it was making all the racket.

I have actually fell off the back of the treadmill once (not whilst running though thank god!!). It maybe subconsiously why I don't take my MP3 player anymore!! I dropped it and when I looked down to see where it went I lost my balance and fell onto the treadmill then went flying off the back. Luckily it wasn't busy at the time but I was truely mortified I nearly didn't go back after that
Old 09-03-2009, 07:30 PM
sunny
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by godzilla
Sunny is a true mate......helped me out alot

Kylie..... Excellent!! I still have her original CD with 'I should be so lucky' 'Especially for you (Jason Donovan)' I know im sad Danni Minogue has some great tunes for cardio as some are fairly fast beat
You've helped me out loads in the past tough guy.....thats exactly what mates are for. I know if I needed your help tommorow you'd be there....same goes...
Ahhh man this is too emotional for me now......off to the gym. LOL

btw - Claire you'll be fine mate. To put your mind at ease follow Paul's advise + get a health check.....you'll be fine though.

Sunny.

Last edited by sunny; 09-03-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:35 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by sunny
You've helped me out loads in the past tough guy.....thats exactly what mates are for. I know if I needed your help tommorow you'd be there....same goes...

Ahhh man this is too emotional for me now......off to the gym. LOL

Sunny.

Awww that's lovely, feel the love in the room, group
Old 09-03-2009, 07:43 PM
godzilla
BANNED
BANNED

Claire..... Check some of these out!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq_JO...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5GmZ...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FjDPMife_Y

(Try not to sing this one......I would, so wont listen to it whilst training!)

3 Tooooones to help with the cardio!!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:54 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by godzilla
Claire..... Check some of these out!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq_JO...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5GmZ...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FjDPMife_Y

(Try not to sing this one......I would, so wont listen to it whilst training!)

3 Tooooones to help with the cardio!!
Hahaha, the last one was on at the gym today funnily enough. Here's one of her's when she had blonde hair.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYZYy...eature=related