Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

training for fighting

Search this Thread

Old 29-06-2006, 06:25 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default training for fighting

when your training for say, increasing your punching power for pub brawls, is it best that you try to get the biggest biceps possible, ie doing loads of pushups and bar work, so that you have massive muscles and then a heavy punch, or is there a better training program for doing so, at home ?
Old 29-06-2006, 07:14 AM
lamb chops
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 29-06-2006, 05:34 PM
chris^si
PassionFord Regular

punching is more than just muscle mate, you could be massively strong and just break your wrist at the first punch. you want dynamic power if your looking to fight, but why in the hell would you want to bulk up just for fighting?

my advice is to find a nicer pub..
Old 29-06-2006, 06:20 PM
Rs1
Advanced PassionFord User

Some folk
Old 29-06-2006, 06:55 PM
OvaBoost
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

LMAO!
learn to punch properly first...aint just about muscles as chris said.
Explosive power - if using weights, push/pull in a fast explosive action, thats part of my boxing training
Learn to box tbh
Old 30-06-2006, 12:33 AM
Steve200+

Agreed... it's about explosive power, and the more bulk and mass there is to shift, the slower you get, the harder you have to train to combat that, it's a never-ending circle. Look at heavyweight boxers compared to bantamweights, and the speed comparison for the size.

There's a happy medium, being comfortably with your own bodyweight, knowing how to throw a punch, and where to hit, and how to do it responsibly.

If you want to get big purely to fight, take up a self-defence-based Martial Art, Judo, Shukokai Karate, Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, a good flavour of Kung Fu (e.g. Wing Chun) Jiu-jitsu, etc. You'll be far more effectively equipped to defend yourself mate, against people twice your size. At pub-brawl level, knowing what to do, not how hard you do it, is everything.

Edit : In particular one of the kickboxers I know is 6'2", built like a twig, and can knock a hanging heavybag horizontal with one well-laid punch, I can't, and I'm twice his size Most of the self-defence-based instructors I know aren't big at all, and can, and have put me on my arse more than once without even a crease in their clothing. (eg, 5'10", 10.5st 7th Dan Grandmaster, against me, 6'1", 13st, I throw a punch, half a second, bit blurred, and I regularly hit the deck like a sack of shit, bit extreme, but you get the idea)
Old 30-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Martinshuter
Regular Contributor

like ovaboost says. Probably best to learn how to box or do martial arts. Its a discipline so you wont tend to want to raise your hands at any chance you get. Its not all about the size. When i boxed i was cruiserweight and sparred against a much smaller guy, middleweight i believe. He hit me 3 or 4 times and i hardly saw the punches coming. All about technique and accuracy if you ask me. Now im 6ft 3 and 18st because i gave up boxing and took up powerlifting, but my speed has gone. viscious circle
Old 01-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Retro Al
RWD IS KING

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just learn how to use pub objects like chairs, plates, handbags and if your in the car park rip a cars wiper off it stings quite a lot

failing that learn how to run
Old 02-07-2006, 10:12 PM
Matt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Default Re: training for fighting

Originally Posted by Porsche911r101
when your training for say, increasing your punching power for pub brawls
training for pub brawls pmsl
have a word

learn to punch
better still learn to avoid pub brawls
Old 03-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Tigran
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Perhaps learn communicative skills? Seriously this is the daftest question I have heard in a while.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:54 PM
juss 1

joking as side wanna improve the power of your punch a good punch comes from the legs so when your gonna through one bend you knees slightly and spring you torso forward as you throw the punch the power comes up from you the legs especially the one you have placed to the rear also good deltoids improve the punch sorry but biceps have nothing to do with extending your arm as you do when throwing a punch if anything you wanna work on your triceps helping to snap your arm out quicker.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:29 PM
Matt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by juss 1
a good punch comes from the legs so when your gonna through one bend you knees slightly and spring you torso forward as you throw the punch the power comes up from you the legs especially the one you have placed to the rear
boxers may say diofferent but ime.....

your knee on your rear leg should ALWAYS be bent and on the ball of your foot, as said it aids any punch thrown with proper body movement but more importantly it gives you means dodge back out of range by bending your rear leg and then "snap back" into a counter. dont just spring the torso, 9 times out of 10 an upwards body movement isnt nearly as effective as horizontal, twist your hips and shoulders through it too

better still if you want to learn to pub brawl quit fucking about and go stand in a car park and smash yourself in the face with a pint glass
Old 03-07-2006, 10:34 PM
Matt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

off another thread...

Originally Posted by Porsche911r101
im 19 6ft 8 whiegh 19 stone
Old 03-07-2006, 11:20 PM
Tigran

Lanky jesse
Old 04-07-2006, 12:44 AM
Steve200+

Originally Posted by Matt
a good punch comes from the legs so when your gonna through one bend you knees slightly and spring you torso forward as you throw the punch the power comes up from you the legs especially the one you have placed to the rear
boxers may say diofferent but ime.....

your knee on your rear leg should ALWAYS be bent and on the ball of your foot, as said it aids any punch thrown with proper body movement but more importantly it gives you means dodge back out of range by bending your rear leg and then "snap back" into a counter. dont just spring the torso, 9 times out of 10 an upwards body movement isnt nearly as effective as horizontal, twist your hips and shoulders through it too

better still if you want to learn to pub brawl quit fucking about and go stand in a car park and smash yourself in the face with a pint glass
Depends on the punch mate...

(if you're right handed)

As well, your knees should *always* be slightly bent, never have them locked, restricts movement massively.

A right hook (arguably most useful I reckon ) the power doesn't come from your legs at all, it comes from the waist/hips, the twist, and using your weight.

Standing in a nice stance, legs slightly bent, 'lock' your right arm/elbow into position before you even move, keep the wrist and hand free of tension, bring your right arm up to height using mainly your shoulder, and twist your torso from the waist, to the left, pivoting on the ball of your right foot (if that makes sense).. aim 'through' the target, and just before impact, tense your wrist and make a fist, about 8" before impact or so.

The key is to use your hips to swing, 'lock' the arm completely, don't waste energy before you need to, aim 12" past the target, and turn the right foot 'through'.

Best I can do as an explanation :/ Didn't want to debunk anyone's posts, but that's how you'll find most people do it.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:45 AM
juss 1

some good points but believe me it is all coming from the legs you cant just twist your torso with out using the legs to force the toso around but this will go on for ever ive boxed for coming on 20 years now and thats how i throw punchs works for me but realistically wanna throw a good punch then get some form of fighting taught to yourself then youll know its no good asking on a forum in reality. incidently best knock out punch to throw is an upper cut traps the nerves in the neck no signal to legs BOOM on the floor.well is im my opinion and also as this is a pub fight punch he is asking about id say practise that how many times do you see that in a pub fight nice lil upper cut on the button NEVER people wind mill (sort of hook) nerarly always miss to much distance see it coming a mile of you want a short sharp movement in the blink of an eye its over
Old 04-07-2006, 10:12 PM
Matt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Steve200+

A right hook (arguably most useful I reckon )
each to their own really, i aint a boxer my any means and dont favour hooks although they are the most "powerful", a right cross (im right handed) is WAY more useful imo steve, tbh id be more inclined to using my legs to strike first far less unsuspecting and way more destructive and powerful as they say....if they cant stand up they aint shit lol

as said and seen many times "pub brawls" 99% of the time result in in pissed up people windmilling at each other for 20 secs thinking they are iron mike lol
Old 05-07-2006, 09:07 PM
Steve200+

Originally Posted by Steve200+

A right hook (arguably most useful I reckon )
each to their own really, i aint a boxer my any means and dont favour hooks although they are the most "powerful", a right cross (im right handed) is WAY more useful imo Steve, tbh id be more inclined to using my legs to strike first far less unsuspecting and way more destructive and powerful as they say....if they cant stand up they aint shit lol

as said and seen many times "pub brawls" 99% of the time result in in pissed up people windmilling at each other for 20 secs thinking they are iron mike lol

You're right mate, I guess everyone has their favourite combinations... (excuse my pissed-ness on last post ) articulating myself correctly, what I meant was It's probably the easiest and most powerful to chuck in a pub fight. A cross can easily miss contact if you're a bit pished, and it's easily blocked. A full-on hook has the full bodyweight behind it (handy when pissed, as I tend to fall over anyway ) and can go anywhere down the right side and do damage.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:10 PM
Steve200+

some good points but believe me it is all coming from the legs you cant just twist your torso with out using the legs to force the toso around but this will go on for ever
Sorry mate, NOW I get you Apologies if I was a bit brusque.. thought you were trying to say it was a forward driving motion, hence the bloody story
Old 09-07-2006, 09:49 AM
Rolls
PassionFord Post Troll

sooooo true!
Old 09-07-2006, 11:43 AM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RETRO_AL
just learn how to use pub objects like chairs, plates, handbags and if your in the car park rip a cars wiper off it stings quite a lot

failing that learn how to run
fmpsl

what a fucking stupid thread
Old 10-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks

i know how to punch, all im asking is if im training will bigger biceps = harder punch, and is there a point where resistance training wont make it any better ?
Old 10-07-2006, 11:48 PM
Steve200+

As we've mentioned, the power in a punch is all about practice.

Sure, a bigger bicep will arguably equal a harder punch, just as a bigger shoulders and triceps will, just as any arm muscle development will.

If you practice on a bag, you'll work the muslces involved, and at the same time get more instinctive about throwing one.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:02 AM
juss 1

think this should answer your question

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQTze...elated&search=
Old 05-10-2006, 06:05 PM
RonnyD

@ Porsche911r101

it isn't so easy to only train muscles an then win an pub prawl. I am an Martial Artist in the Chinese WING TSUN System - Leung Ting Style - and won over 100 streetfights and only lost 2. The first I lost, was against an Brasilian Grappler, the second against an black guy from the US, he was an excellent Boxer, he had a body like Roy Jones jr., anyway.
Remember Bruce Lee, he was the total package for fighting, enough muscle mass, but not too much, too much makes you "laggy" and an enormous speed in hitting his fist.
Every day I do 2500 chain punches in the air, this gives me speed and condition, i do a moderate weight training some workout at the "sandsack" who is mounted on the wall ( for more back pressure ) and many many sparring against fighters from various fighting stiles. ( Boxer, Grappler, Karate, Jiu Jitsu, Pencak Silat, Muai Thai, Wrestler aso. ) Last but not least if you want to know if your good or even the best you must test in on the street - but thats illegal and you can get in contact with the law.
Back to fighting, if your interested in it, don't forget it's an lifestile, you have to train very hard, take the best nutrition you can get, train your body fat free, sleep a lot and always believe in yourself.
Without fullcontact sparring you can win in an street or pub prawl only against some boys or chickens, but never against an fighter who has done his homework.
Another major rule plays the deffence, against an excellent streetfighter you must protect yourself, if not you can find yourself during 1 or 2 seconds on the ground by spending half a gallon blood through your nose. If an fighter is as good as you you must protect yourself at every time, searching the unprotected points in his deffence an hit into them. From this point of view you must have a good deffence, a murder punch an "air" to come over the "rounds".
Stay hungry and believe in yourself like an Hulligan.
If you have any questions, let me know.

Best

Yours

Ronny
Old 05-10-2006, 07:20 PM
juss 1

you doing ultimate fighting ronny?? or do you know of it if so take royce gracy exactly what you described really little fella but knew what he has doing but didnt exactly punch.But it is as you say and certainly to a degree its gotta be in you to be aggressive you can train so much but if you dont have the agression it aint gonna work

remember micky in rocky "eye of the tiger"!!! some truth there...
Old 06-10-2006, 11:45 AM
RonnyD

@ juss 1

totaly right, it's the agression, without it you haven't the"killerinstinct" like a PIT BULL to become victory in an "real fight". "Normal" people didn't understand this.
I am now at the age of 43 - a "grandfather" in fighting - retired from challenging and still in my WT gym to give lesson's to my todai's.
In the past I did many ultimate fighting championships but at a time the UFC wasn't born or in public, the fights were all still in underground in Russia and China because of the law that allowed this in this country's.
There you have to sign a contract that you can die during a fight and nobody can "catch" them by law.
I know Royce Gracie and his brothers Rickson and Royler even so his father Helio who are all classic Groundfighters in Jiu Jitsu Style in the Gracie Academie in Brasil.
Some years ago Royce want a challenge fight against my WING TSUN Sihing Emin Boztepe who was to that time Chieftrainer of the AWTO ( American Wing Tsun Organisation ) with it's board in Grey Hill's Santa Monica, California.
Emin told him to fight against him at any time, any place all over the world but Royce had more and more "wishes", told Emin he has to fight with glooves, next "wish" was not to fight in the streets, he want's to fight in a gymnastic gym near the locker room of the police department and so on. Even of more and more "wishes" from Royce they didn't fight against each other. I think it was only of public relation reason's of Gracie to challenge against Emin because of his pobularity in the US.
Watch the modern UFC, more than 90% of the fighter's get to the ground and stay there, hope to get a chance to smash the opponents head to the ground, hit the opp. in the face or grap the opp. and take 'em the "air".
In WT you are fighting upright against your opp. with legs, arms, fist's, ellbow's, knee's, spate hands to the throat, fingers in the eye's aso. never get to the ground to your opp. "livingroom", but if so you have the WT groundfighting technics to make out of the situation your own livingroom.

Best to all

Yours

Ronny
Old 06-10-2006, 03:21 PM
juss 1

WOW im impressed i remember back in 93 seeing this footage of the gracie brothers fighting in what was called cage fighting i think???and like you say some of the lads fighting had there arms broke shins broke and all sorts but still tried to carry on fighting i was like jeez these guys are really hard!!! like any thing where there is money to be made it becomes commercial tho,there is some hard men still in ufc but not compared to when it was under ground and probably not like your good self. but really the gracies were all bout strangle holds and pressure points that is correct isnt it... so really had very little to do with punching.

43 eh and stillgoing strong hope i dont ever come across you in a dark alley LOL.
any more stories its very intresting
Old 06-10-2006, 03:24 PM
juss 1

whoa just re read your post

fingers in eyes ..........ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2006, 04:04 PM
saphlover
PassionFord Post Troll

Whoever your fighting against no matter how big or hard a swift kick between the legs will bring them all down leaving you to do this
Old 06-10-2006, 05:13 PM
RonnyD

Yes and no, I am watching 2 or 3 times a year some cage fight's, can't post the country's and areas here, because of law.
This cf's hasn't anything to do with the fight's you can see on TV.
They are totaly realistic without an referee in the ring.
There are 3 ways: winning, loosing or giving up.
You think the winner's of the cf's are from the US or Brasil or Africa, no they come from Russia, Siberian and the Ural.
They come with nothing, only their fist's. Your most dirty prisson in the UK is for them like the Buckingham Palace. They want only one, to kill you.
To kick them between their legs has no result.
The reson is they have the eggs operated off by medical surgery and inject themselves testosteron by the exogen way.
The Russians are like an Pit Bull.
But don't be afraid, they are all cooking with water like you an I.
Train as long as you have an steelhammer fist, then "give" the Russians an steelhammer middle in thier faces, that they spent a gallon of blood through their noses an good is.

Best

Yours

Ronny
Old 06-10-2006, 05:57 PM
juss 1

yeah its rough in the old communist places im sure but having your testicals chopped off is to me going a bit to far to win a fight. do they win lots of money or is it just enough to survive?? i notice from your details you live in hokenhiem is that where you originated or did you come to west germany after the wall came down im just curious as to how and why (if you dont mind telling ) you got into cage fighting??
Old 06-10-2006, 07:58 PM
RonnyD

I am from Western Germany and still live in Hockenheim. My whole life long I had a fire in me burning to be the best in fighting and beat "them" all. This was my why.
The fire is not off, it is still in me but it did not rule my life anymore like in the past days.
Now I need silence.
The how I can declare with training every day and never stopped training until I was nearly going to collaps.
If my buddys in the boxing gym did 1 hour "sandsack" training I did nearly 2 hours. This gives me the advantage over the "others" and so I did in a fight. I roll over them like a tank.
First I was getting in touch with freefighting was in Hong Kong, China in the 80's. I stayed there in Hong Kong's Nathan Road in my sigung's WT gym. After getting privat lessons I was shipping over to Kowloon to take some meal where a chinese guy gave me a ticket for an underground freefight in Fatshan. He told me the chinese fighter's want to fight against an "Gwaillo" this means white devil in chinese language. I said yes and was winning the challenge against 5 chinese and 1 Thai boxer. So I was infected. That with the Russians is real, no bullshit I saw it with my own eyes. Your question about money; if some guys from the Mafia set their money on you and you became victory you can get as rich as you can.
If your loosing is it like the 50 cent song "get rich or die trying".
But the Russians nowadays did "earn" much money, so they do not only survive they can buy a farmhouse in the Ural and can live there with theire family with no sorrows. But don't forget after chopping the testes family plans are over.

Best

Yours

Ronny
Old 06-10-2006, 11:02 PM
Matt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ronny

why did you choose and why did you stick with wing tsun?

genuine question

matt
Old 07-10-2006, 03:49 PM
juss 1

You have my total respect

so do you own an RS as im just curious how you got to this forum if so what sort as i imagine if you have the same passion for your cars as you do your fighting it willbe an awsome motor
Old 07-10-2006, 03:56 PM
RonnyD

@Matt

Because WT is the most adanced and most complete martial art system in the world.
For me LEE XIAO LUNG ( BRUCE LEE ) was the best fighter in martial art history. He learnd WT under GREAT GRANDMASTER YIP MAN in Hong Kong before he creats his own system JEET KUNE DO. YIP MAN is my own's SIGUNG LEUNG TING SIFU.
My SIFU is KEITH R. KERNSPECHT who is the TODAI of LEUNG TING.
In the Martial Art World they say " if you are in a telephone box together with 3 men and the 3 men are pulling a knive to the same time, it's only the WT fighter who escape alive out of the box".
I think this tell's you all.
And by the way, WT, this is how self defense is spellt.
I stick by WT, because I want to follow the way of my SIGUNG and SIFU.
Try it, then you know what I mean.

Best

Yours

Ronny
Old 07-10-2006, 05:05 PM
RonnyD

@ juss 1

I got to this forum because I own an RUSH COSSY that I want to rebuild and need some advise and help from specialists in the UK and maybe want to buy some parts in the UK ( Tuning, Performance ). In Germany we are so poor in tuning FORD'S especially the Cossy's, but here in the UK I can get , what I want.
Here are some pics of my Cossy:

Hope you enjoy.
And don't forget, I also came to this forum because of the love of the blue oval.

Best

Yours

Ronny

PS: RESPECT; I also have respect of the United Kingdom and the people living there. I want that our countries have a good relation- and partnership, without agressions. This makes for us all a good future.
Hope to see you in next years FORD shows at the isle of man or in the Netherlands at European Ford Event.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:27 PM
juss 1

yeah its a bit of a shame that people wont let the past lie.

i was stationed in germany whilst in the army i was in duisberg just outside dusseldorf i had german girlfriends and i know that as a people the majority are not proud of the past but unfortunatly some (on both sides are ) in this country we have BNP and National Front which still insist in acting ignorant and following the nazi way of life but it is a minority as it is in germany too.(i hope this is not to much of a sensitive subject if so i appologise) but i guess that is your reasoning behind you saying you wish both countries to be friends,i think you have a real good outlook on life as you seem to have used the fighting to release any negativity and now focus on the positive things which is good i too try my best to be positive in everything it is so much easier on the soul..

that car is gonna be a handful when its tuned up not much weight in there power to weight ratio will be high.... be sure to fit good brakes my friend!!!!

ive always fancied going to holland as there is a big show over there so possibly,, you should attempt if you can to get to ford fair that in my opinion is the best show of the year in the uk not only having RS's but allother fords
Old 07-10-2006, 06:28 PM
RonnyD

No not sensitiv, you have totally right, Nazi, what is Nazi, you can't say that blond and blue eyes are the best humans. No matter if you are white or black or red or yellow, anyway, we are all human beeing.
I am not rasistic or say German over all, thats so stupid.
I am not afraid, but I need and want no third world war.
I love English socker, Arsenal, Manchester, Chelsea aso., and I love Aston Martin, Bentley; Rolls Royce, MG, TVR, Morgan, Jensen, Lotus, Caterham aso., and I love Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill and Jenson Button and Williams, but I have a Killer Commando in me like the old Nazis, especially when an adult has intercorse with a 5 years old little girl and our law in Germany is doing nothing against this ashole but only give him hollidays in a psychiatric hospital. The same is with an thief who is after the money of an old 70 years old mother, hit the mother in her face and grap the money and away he is. This was not his only robery and he get only arrest at home for a year, not in a prisson.
If, for example a black guy is criminalistic, not all the black's are bad people. It's up to the law, to speak with him the language, he understands, in this case jale.
In the case of the little girl, I decided to kill him, hard words, but therefor I am an Nazi, but only therefor.
Yes I come to FORD FAIR and to EUR. FORD EVENT; I love it when the Great Britains come over to the Netherlands, this year I bought some parts for the Cossy by Woodford Garage in Holland. Good Prices. Last year A1 rallysport were there with their Fiesta Cossy, awesome, 656 BHP, + 100 of NOS to play with, the pop of valve noise of some RS 500's from the UK is also still in my ears. Thank you for the breaing advise, I take some AP's 4 pot, double AP cylinders I have. So thank you.

Best

Yours

Ronny
Old 14-10-2006, 02:37 PM
juss 1

yeah totally get where your coming from unfortunatly there is what we call in this country to many "do gooders" people who say ah this man is sick he needs help or he is very sorry we will let him off this time,there is a song by a group called frankie goes to hollywood called WAR!!! And it has a line that says "war what is it good for? absolutly nothing, brings only to the undertaker" this is very true..

Hey ronny you forgot a great great team out of your soccer list and that is NEWCASTLE UNITED there my team!!! hahaha

Wood ford and a1 ralley sport are both good people to deal with personally i think graeme goode racing is very good too i used them when i had an escort cosworth with no complaints.

Quick Reply: training for fighting