Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

wheaterbix and white bread

Search this Thread

Old 22-02-2006, 06:33 PM
harps
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheaterbix and white bread

This is what i eat quiet a lot of and wonderd if they are good for putting on weight?

cheers
Old 23-02-2006, 09:00 AM
PICPower

Yeh, just increase your weetabix intake by 2 a day, dont bother training and by the end of the month you'll have put on 1/2 an ounce.
Old 23-02-2006, 11:03 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not so good for your spelling though so it seems!
Old 23-02-2006, 12:43 PM
DaveMCMkIII
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

There carbohydrates and both high in glycemic value which means they cause a large increase in your bodies blood sugar levels.

Have brown bread instead of white and if your doing any endurance/cv stuff have shreaded wheat after a workout

However you sound like you wish to gain weight, therefore focus more on consuming proteins as you dont sound like you seem to be. Proteins are the key to muscle growth and shuold be taken throughout the day in adequate quantities. The rule is no more than 1.7g of protein per kg of body wight and to help reach your caloris and protein requirements id reccomend a whey protein or more of a mass whey (e.g. pro mass, instant mass etc).
Old 23-02-2006, 01:21 PM
FAST AS FORD
PassionFord Regular

If you want to put on WEIGHT then you need a high carb diet
Old 23-02-2006, 01:25 PM
harps

Originally Posted by DaveEscos
not so good for your spelling though so it seems!
What the way i spelt weetabix (wheaterbix) well im from somerset

Cheers for your help.
Old 23-02-2006, 02:11 PM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

there are plenty of other foods out there to help you gain weight, you can't live on weetabix and white bread.

What else do you eat throughout the day, give us some info and we could give you some ideas.

The following would help also;
M or F
Your Age
Your current Weight
How many meals a day do you have
& Do you train and what kind, weights/cardio/swimming/nothing? all this helps and will give us all something to work with .
Old 23-02-2006, 02:53 PM
AndyBlackFRST
Advanced PassionFord User

Sorry to jump in.. but saves me putting a new post up.

My details..

M or F - Male
Your Age - 27
Your current Weight - 13stone 2
How many meals a day do you have - 3 maybe 4
& Do you train and what kind, weights/cardio/swimming/nothing? - weights 3 times a week for approx 2 hours each time. Also ice skate/ hockey twice a week for 2 hours at a time.

Need to bulk up big time
Old 23-02-2006, 03:19 PM
harps

M or F :male
Your Age :18
Your current Weight: 11 stone

How many meals a day do you have :
Breakfast:4 silces of toast or bowl of weetabix
brunch:chocolate,crisps 2x banans
lunch:4 ham rolls apple (at work)if not then cooked diner
tea:always cooked meal, roast, fry up ,bolanase,etc

Do you train and what kind, weights 2x a week
Old 23-02-2006, 03:45 PM
DaveMCMkIII

Originally Posted by FAST AS FORD
Not at all! if your just training for strength your carb intake doesnt need to be big at all as your calorie intake wont be mega. However if your an endurance athlete (i.e lance armstrong, you do require mega high amounts of carbs to forfill calorie requirements and energy demands)

Andy- if your wanting to gain weight and are quite skinny just focus on strength training, cv will inhibit your muscle growth otherwise via the accumilation of coritsol, a stress hormone released during intense exercise that inhibits protein synthesis. Also many studies show that concurrent strength and endurance training results in less greater gains in strength compared to doing strength training alone.
Old 23-02-2006, 04:31 PM
dexterc
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Also, whats your weight routine?
Old 23-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

A good split for your diet is approx 50% carbs, 35% protein and 15% good fats

I personally favour more protein than 1.7gms per Kg, I use 1.5gms per lb of bodyweight.

Look at the sticky at the top of the page as this explains how to work out the amount of calories you need. It won't take you long. You can then assess what you need to eat to meet these needs.

Try that first and then come back with any questions

Paul.
Old 24-02-2006, 08:22 AM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by harps
M or F :male
Your Age :18
Your current Weight: 11 stone

How many meals a day do you have :
Breakfast:4 silces of toast or bowl of weetabix
brunch:chocolate,crisps 2x banans
lunch:4 ham rolls apple (at work)if not then cooked diner
tea:always cooked meal, roast, fry up ,bolanase,etc

Do you train and what kind, weights 2x a week
OK matey...to get you started...

I would start at the following and see how it goes and if you are not gaining up it by 300calories until you do.

You want to gain quality mass not to much fat so start of slow at first then gradually increase.

11stx14=154lbsx15=2310 calories per day. split as follows;

30% Protein =173g per day (1g protein is 4calories)
50% Carbs =289g per day (1g carbs is 4calories)
20% Fat =51g per day (1g fat is 9calories)

All food items come with a nutritional label attached so you can workout how much to consume of that item. If your not sure ask ya mum....she will know!

Good Protein; Chicken, Turkey, Lean Meat, Fish, Cheese, Skim Milk, Cottage Cheese, Eggs "if you have 6-only 2 yokes", Weigh Gainer, Yoghurt.

Good Carbs; Brown Rice, Brown Pasta, Wholemeal Pitta, Burgen Bread, Oats, Shredded Wheat, "Your Weetabix will be ok ", Apples, Banana, Blueberrys, Oranges, Kiwi "But only 2 peices of fruit a day. "due to the fructose"

Good Fats; Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Oil Blends, Nuts, Peanut Butter, Fish,

As much veg as you like.

The above are just a few ideas to give you an idea.

Split the meals evenly into 6 or 7 and see how you get on, you could also add a weight gainer if you find it a struggle to eat all the above.
A good weight gainer would be Chemical Nutrition Pro Mass, take this after you weight session. Meals spaced 2.5 to 3 hours apart as follows;

Meal1. Breakfast "very important meal" and a multi Vit-mineral tablet.

Meal2. Snack

Meal3. Lunch

Meal4. Pre workout meal

Meal.5 Post workout meal (Pro Mass) "the most important meal"
have your postworkout meal within 45min after you weight session.

Meal6. Dinner

Make sure you consume protein, carbs and fats with every meal.

Cut out most of your cv work apart from the odd bit here and there but only light and short sessions.

Drink 1 pint of water with every meal.

Do weight 3xper week instead of twice and get yourself a good programme if you haven't already.

And remember if you are not gaining by two weeks up the calories, the above is a starting point!
Also cut down on the Alkahol if you consume any.

Follow the above mate and you should do ok.

Take time to work out a meal plan for three days and then just follow it....easy once you have done this....may take some time, but you need a plan it's no good just grabbing anything and eating it when you are hungry because you will not have any idea of the total calories you are consuming.

Good luck mate, hope this will help you out.
Old 24-02-2006, 08:42 AM
JimRS
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

How long does it take for Pro-mass to kick in to the body system? i have taken it for 4 weeks now and i dunno if its me but i think i can notice a bit of difference in muscel and bulk.

also, im 11st 5pd size 32'' waist and play rugby, need to bulk up and build strength and mucsel ready for next season (sept 06)

How many meals would i need to have to get to a reasonable weight and look good? 13? 14st maybe?

Jim
Old 24-02-2006, 09:53 AM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by JimRS
1. How long does it take for Pro-mass to kick in to the body system? i have taken it for 4 weeks now and i dunno if its me but i think i can notice a bit of difference in muscel and bulk.

also, im 11st 5pd size 32'' waist and play rugby, need to bulk up and build strength and mucsel ready for next season (sept 06)

2. How many meals would i need to have to get to a reasonable weight and look good? 13? 14st maybe?

Jim
Hi Jim,

1. If your daily calories allow, you could also include 2 tablespoons of honey approx 30g of simple carbs to the pro mass to elevate your insulin level, only after your workout which would increase the transportation. The good thing about pro mass is it includes casein so it's anti-catabolic, not like if you took whey on it's own the uptake is much quicker, so this is a good thing if you are trying to gain mass or a hard gainer, it will keep you in a state of feed untill your next meal.

Remember supplements are not magic pills, they are there to assist you and make life a little bit easier to get the quality proteins. Eat right and train hard and take your pro mass and the results will come. As above work out a 3day meal plan and rotate it and then follow it by making most of you meals the night before and the rest in the morning, then you are set up for that day with no excuses to cheat.

2. All about quality calories Jim 2415cals per day, use this and the above post to workout your meals and increase slowly to assess your weight, too much too soon and you will be gaining more fat. Number of meals will depend on your training for that day, training times and personal time scales. Just follow the food advise above in the same ratios and that should be effective, and up the cals if needed.
Old 24-02-2006, 03:33 PM
harps

Thanks alot RSPTG that a great help.
Old 25-02-2006, 05:50 AM
FAST AS FORD
PassionFord Regular

FAST AS FORD wrote:

Not at all! if your just training for strength your carb intake doesnt need to be big at all as your calorie intake wont be mega. However if your an endurance athlete (i.e lance armstrong, you do require mega high amounts of carbs to forfill calorie requirements and energy demands)

Andy- if your wanting to gain weight and are quite skinny just focus on strength training, cv will inhibit your muscle growth otherwise via the accumilation of coritsol, a stress hormone released during intense exercise that inhibits protein synthesis. Also many studies show that concurrent strength and endurance training results in less greater gains in strength compared to doing strength training alone.
As all he asked was about putting on "weight", no other goals were mentioned, hence my reply.
Old 25-02-2006, 10:34 AM
mackers
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

"But only 2 peices of fruit a day. "due to the fructose"
why is that?
Old 25-02-2006, 01:29 PM
fords4fun

my guide is 3995 calories i think but i need to loose body fat im at 30% at the moment how many less should i take if im trying to build muscle
Old 27-02-2006, 09:06 AM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by mackers
"But only 2 peices of fruit a day. "due to the fructose"
why is that?
Hi Mackers,

Let me make this clear, fruit is very good for you and contains many vit-and minerals your body can use, along with some being low on the glycemic index.

But if you are critical to the exact calories you consume then you are aware of Fructose. This is why people talk about consuming complex carbs, brown rice, brown pasta, oats etc.

Fructose is a simple sugar found in most fruits.

When you eat fruit, If your glycogen levels are full then the fructose will leave the liver and be stored as adipose tissue "FAT".
So to put on quality mass limit the amount of fruit to 2 a day or consume after your weight session when it is less likely to be stored.

So fruit is ok, just be aware of the fructose, so don't panic....you could consume one apple with breakfast and then say a banana after your weights session....along with your protein of course!

Hope that sounds clear.