Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Am i wasting my time?

Search this Thread

Old 20-02-2006, 10:00 PM
steve0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am i wasting my time?

Firstly a bit about me...

I'm 21 years young, weigh 70kgs (11st!) and have a fairly active lifestyle. I'm 6ft and am a skinny fooker!! Don't have the broadest shoulders, and have a 31inch waist.

I'm looking to bulk up big time. I know its probably everyones plan, but i basically want to 'fit' into clothes better, an boost my confidence!

thing i want to know is with my high metabolism (i never put on any weight no matter what i eat!), am i ever going to be able to reach my goals?!

I'm already slightly (v. slightly!) toned, and have just started up a new routine at the gym. I'm happy to invest a lot of time in keeping up a good routine, and dont mind dieting on the right foods, but only if im confident they are going to produce results. As a lot of you are probably aware, training with such goals is a lot to do with having the right mental attitude, so i want to be able to say to myself "yer this is going to work", becuase i think this will give me the boost to push myself!

Are there any real life examples of people in a similar scenario as me, that have managed to put on a lot of bulk?

And more importantly, do the experts on here think im wasting my time??

cheers
/steve0
Old 20-02-2006, 10:59 PM
AndyBlackFRST
Advanced PassionFord User

Being a skinny fooker too.. I wasn't sure how i'd bulk up at the gym.. I go with a friend who is medium build and bulked up well.

I took creatine for the 1st 2 months and the muscle definition is alot better now. especially with the weight i'm now lifting.

I use supplaments from GNC... each one has different uses.
Old 20-02-2006, 11:24 PM
steve0

did you find that you gained muscle definition, but not muscle mass?!

Sounds odd, but im looking to put on pure bulk and size, which by the sound of it is quite hard unless you already have the larger frame to start with?!

Theres so much information out at the moment...i've been reading up about it the past two months and still get confused about it today! glad this forum is on now though, looks to be a great help with some good peeps!!
Old 20-02-2006, 11:31 PM
AndyBlackFRST

I have bulked up a bit from what i've taken, and now on Maximusle ProMax supplement..

I'm sure Paul and co will answer the questions though as i'm only a beginnner on this stuff
Old 20-02-2006, 11:39 PM
steve0

ah cool...look forward to hearing from them.

cheers for your input tho mate, good to hear im not the only 'slim' person trying to gain weight!
Old 20-02-2006, 11:56 PM
AndyBlackFRST

Might put a pic up of me now so I can look at it in a few months time
Old 20-02-2006, 11:58 PM
steve0

yea i was reading the other post and browsing through the pictures! put me on a bit of a downer because even the new starters on there are much bigger than me.

Might just do it anyway, nothing to lose. Put up a pic of myself now, and then cain the shakes and gym etc and see how i look in a few months.
Old 21-02-2006, 12:06 AM
AndyBlackFRST

The first few months you will progress really quickly.. then suddly hit a brick wall and not be able to lift much heavier.

I srated to bench 10kg's at first.. after nearly 2 months I am now pressing 22.5kg's easily.. and 25kg's with a spot.

Is easy to do.. even better if you have someone to go with
Old 21-02-2006, 12:30 AM
steve0

Well at the moment i'm doing the following (ignore my terminology, i dont know all the correct names of the machines etc)

Imagining a 7 day week...

Day one
Back and biceps

kneeling pull-down *back
seated row *back
bicep curl thing (sitting on machine pulling up weight to chin with elbows as pivot!)
standing bicep curls with free weights (back almost against a wall to maintain posture)

I do 2 - 3 sets of these and aim to fail on the last set (usually manage between 6 to 10 reps and if i manage more than 10, i go up a weight for the next set)

Always start with a warm up row for about 5-10 mins to get my arms and heart working!!

Day two
rest

Day three
Chest and Triceps

"Smith machine" bench press thing (getting about 55-60kgs max including weight of bar)
free weight flys (inclined going up from sides and into middle)
tricep pull downs (these really hurt which i actually like!) getting around 20kgs per arm and managing about 8 per set
tricep extensions (hate these and am only surrently on about 8kgs!)

again warm up with a row and do the same reps/sets as mentioned in day one.

Day Four
Rest

Day Five
Legs and abs

Started doing crunches etc on a ball, but havent got this into full swing yet as trying to master arms etc first.
leg extensions (sitting on machine and extending legs against a weight)
leg curl thing (laying face down and pulling legs up to 'bum')

normally warm up with a quick jog or similar.

need to really look into this routine more as its currently only very rough!

Day Six
rest

Day Seven
either C.V. or if im up to it, start day one over again.

Im trying to add as much weight as i can to each workout. Really want to start on some supplements as this will give me the extra push to work harder. Obviously this is ony a rough outline of what i do down the gym. Often i add extra things into the workout if i think the muscle group can manage it.
Only been going for about a month so far, so need to fine tune the routine and then really start pushing it.
Old 21-02-2006, 06:03 AM
FAST AS FORD
PassionFord Regular

Steve0, tbh bud, you're better off dropping the c.v for now if your trying to gain size and have a lifting routine here instead. Its ok to lift 2 days in a row as long as you have at least 24 hours break till the following session.
Your training looks quite good you're using the right sets/reps for hypertrophy (size), whats your diet like tho?
If your a hard gainer you have to eat bigggggggggg!
Put up your current diet and what supps you use and when.
Old 21-02-2006, 09:03 AM
PICPower

Yep another skinny fooker here too !!

Cut out the c.v. - guys like us dont need it !
Creatine, glutamine and maximuscle progain are working well for me so far. Make sure you have a progain shake with your creatine and glutamine straight after you've trained as your muscles absorb all the nutrients at this point alot quicker, supposed to help with muscle growth, also take a big dose of vitamin c at this point which helps with muscle ache and reduces lactic acid build up which deffo doesn't help growth.
Need to eat small meals often, if you cant maximuscle does a great range of meal replacement bars. Just do a basic training routine for the first 4-6 weeks until your body gets used to it, its too easy for us skinny fookers to over train and just not see any fruits for our labour.
Best of luck mate, just keep at it.
Old 21-02-2006, 09:20 AM
AndyBlackFRST

I came off creatine.. was told best to do 1 month on then 1 off..

Think i'll get some meal replacement bars too.
Old 21-02-2006, 10:42 AM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

Steve, you will not be wasting your time mate,

get your diet sorted with the correct nutrition and work hard down the gym with plenty of rest and you will put on muscle, up the calories by 200-500 every week until your start gaining. Try and eat as clean as you can to put on quality mass and if you want to speed up the process use the following.

Without going to mad;

Good multi-vit & mineral
Vit C
Weight gainer/Whey
ZMA before bed
Glutamine

Would put creatine but depends how it works for you?

One bit of cardio a week shouldn't do to much damage as long as it is not to heavy but concentrate on the weights and rest and you should do fine.
Old 21-02-2006, 10:46 AM
steve0

ah cheers for the replies guys.

At the moment my diet isnt that great. I eat regularly...i'm always hungry no matter what i eat which is a good thing i guess. The only form of 'training foods' i eat is that when i get home from the gym, i usually try and gulp down a tin of tuna (normally in between two slices of white bread!!). Isnt that great, but makes me feel better lol.

I think im going to invest in some supplements come payday (8 days!), so can someone be kind enough to post a link of exactly what i should buy, but also the cheapest place that sells them if thats alright! i'll then follow the link and get on with trying them out

Concerning the C.V, would you lot recommend that for my type of body, i should be trying to cut out as much C.V as possible then? i'll stop it down the gym, but would you also recommend leaving my brothers to take my dog for a run rather than me burning myself out doing it?!

cheers
/steve

*EDIT* just posted this reply and seen the reply above mine. Didnt read this before i posted, so i guess thats already answered my question about the C.V
Old 21-02-2006, 11:04 AM
FAST AS FORD
PassionFord Regular

http://www.sports-nutrition.net/acat...-products.html
Unflavoured whey here, if your on a budget.

http://www.musclefinesse.com/protein.asp
Met rx supreme whey, if you want one which tastes nice!
I recommend starwb

http://www.sports-nutrition.net/acat...hyl_Ester.html
If your after some creatine.

These are all i use, except 1 x 1g vitc, 2 x 1g flaxseed oil tabs and 1 x 15mg zinc.
Old 21-02-2006, 11:07 AM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

CV can be catabolic..."muscle wasting" if doing to much while trying to add mass..... get a ball and throw it for the dog!
Old 21-02-2006, 11:07 AM
FAST AS FORD
PassionFord Regular

Forgot to mention, ditch the white bread and use w/meal or brown
Old 21-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Lemon S2
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I'm another skinny & am trying to bulk up / gain weight & size etc which so far seems to be doing ok.

After giving up smoking 6 months ago I've now put on around 2 stone so have gone from 9st to 11 & I've got another stone to go then I'll be happy.

Obviously giving up smoking has been a great help with putting on weight for me but I've also been using Nlarge2 which I've found really good although a few people have said it's not the best to use because of sugar content.

I've just started taking creatine today so I'm just starting the loading phase, hopefully this will make a nice difference.

As other people have said though, make sure you eat between 5 - 8 small meals a day, I seem to manage 5 fairly large meals Hey if I'm hungry I'll eat

Cut back on the cardio at the moment I normally do a 10 minutes jog / run on the treadmill just to raise my body temperature a bit, but I need to cut this back a bit as, as said above I seem to have stopped gaining for now.

Hope it all works out though and you'll always find someone on here for advice
Old 21-02-2006, 07:37 PM
Kieron

I was in the same position as you although not bothering didn't enter my head.

I was a lanky gangly teenager and started training at 16 ish. I am about 6ft 1". I could always eat what I wanted and never get fat but I did slowly put on a little muscle. Well I thought I had.

I could never afford all the suppliments at a young age and didn't really start to take them until a few years back (I am 30 now). It wasn't until mid to late 20's that the size slowly started to be put on, although I still see myself as that gangly kid. I will never look big like Paul Eggleton or shorter people do but then I prefer my shape. By being taller, I personally think you will look better when the muscle does come on. Like Arnie (6ft 2") or Lou (6ft 5").

Are you wasting you time? Well.. Do you enjoy training? Do you want to look bigger? Is it good for you? Do you like competition, bettering yourself? If the answer is yes to any of them then the answer is no.
Old 21-02-2006, 11:08 PM
steve0

nice replies guys

I've just come back from a hardcore session down the gym and my arms are killing me!! Glad i've found this forum, because it stuck in my mind while there tonight and gave me even more reason to push myself.

I'll keep you lot updated. Now that u've convinced me im not wasting my time, i have no excuses
Old 23-02-2006, 08:38 AM
PICPower

Thats the spirit mate, just like with anything in life a good attitude and movitvation are the key to success !!.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:12 PM
purplemonster
RWD PUMA :)

my little 2p worth here lol

i used to train many years ago ,2 hours a night 5 nights a week ,not always doing weights but some cardio and other sports and was fittish ,but not as fit as id like to be

i was approx 12/13stone and my weight stayed there for quite some time no matter what i did or how much i trained ,i progressed up to benching ( repping ) approx 75-80kgs on an olimpic bar and after each set chest section we did the max weight we could and i was doing 103-105kg just for the 1 rep and maybe with a very small spot sometimes

i was trainging with a very big american football player at the time and i was doing my best to catch him up and i was

after 2 years training and eating like a horse the weight just went bang from 13 to 16 stone almost over night ,and wasnt down to what i was eating or training,must have been i filled out to my normal size

I DID try many suppliments but in my opinion didnt do a great deal apart from leaving me skint

from what i have learnt is we are all so very different ,and not everyhting will work for every1 ,and they only thing people can do is find the best routine and diet for that person

sory if i have bored you all
Old 11-05-2008, 09:28 PM
m4ttyrs
Part of the Furniture

Default EAT!

been training for 5years now mate and ive learnt a lot, you can get a lot more from a good meal than you can get from any protein drink. think about it, on average they are about £30 after they have made the tub made the label put all the flavourings into it to make it taste ok how much of your £30 is actually good usable protein? if you have a fast matabalism you need to be eating like fook, basicly if you see something EAT IT! dont think well im not really hungry just eat it. I eat about 6000 calories a day and i belive that is still not enough, its not all crap though. for someone like yourself it probably doesnt matter to much about fat because you need something their to build musle with. dont bother with cv just do really heavy weights 6-8reps 3-4 sets, dont do weights you know you can do either if your aimin for 8 reps you should only be able to do 7 if you do 8 get a heavier weight. you have to push yourself aswell, if possible go with someone equally motivated and if possible a bit stronger than you this will help a lot. even at this rate to bulk up properly will still take years but everyone has to start somewhere. dont give up and you will be a couple of stone heavyer in a few years.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:03 AM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

im currently bulking up,ive put on 2 stone in around 4-6 months

heres my diet if your want to try it,now i start work at 6 so no time to make a proper meal in the morn,if u have time then id be eating instead of supplements,try and eat as much as u can instead of takin supplements,supplements are there to add to a diet for that little extra,not as a meal replacement

5am protein shake, 100g oats,glass of fresh orange

8.00am 3 slice brown bread with chicken and salad,banana

10am bag of roast chicken bites,yoghurt,oat bar

12pm tin of tuna,fruit,oat bar,couple of jaffa cakes

2pm pasta,protien shake,100g oats,5mg creapure

2.30pm gym workout followed by waxy maize starch and protein shake 20mins later

4pm 5-6 eggs and 1 peice of fish(usually haddock)

6pm 2 chicken breasts with salad or steak with new potatoes and pepper sauce,

8.30pm protein shake,fruit bowl,100g oats

my program,no fixed exrecises as i chop and change what i do at the gym,body can get used to doing the same old day in day out,mix it up,heres a link if your stuck

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

monday back and bi's ,usually 4 exercises for back and 3 for bi,5-6 reps for 4-5 sets

tuesday shoulders and abs again 4 exercisesd for shoulders,5-7 reps 4-5 sets

wednesday rest

thursday tri and chest 3 for tri 4 for chest,5-7 reps for 4-5 sets

friday legs and abs

saturday sauna/steam room

sunday rest

dont worry bout lifting heavy weight,get technique correct first,fed up seein guys liftin far to much weight and there technique is shocking,and get plenty of rest,we grow in our sleep not in the gym,meals every 3 hrs,eat big and youll get big,you should never feel hungry,just keep yourself topped up with food

Last edited by JamboRS; 12-05-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Old 14-05-2008, 09:19 AM
rstel1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

try 2 days on and 1 off also drop cv try to get more protien in your diet also if you digest food fast get a protein shake with a decent amount of carbs in it will help you gain mass do 4-5 sets of exersizes and pyramid your set (mre wight as you push less reps)