Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Body fat content

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 10:42 AM
Muska
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body fat content

before i start i'd just like to say that this room has proved very usefull to me already, loads of good advice

I'm after lowering my body fat content so my stomach muscles show more. Currently its at 15%, i read i would need to get it to about 10-12%. I eat quite well, porridge for breakfast, lots of fruit throughout the day, probably more nuts than i should eat and i always try to eat chicken with something for tea. Other than that i currently take creatine and i always have a protein shake (made with milk) after training weights, which currently i do 4 times+ a week.

I'm not trying to hint for a diet plan, what im wondering is it down to diet or do i need to add more cardio to my workout? I only work cardio maybe 2hrs a week tops on days i don't do weights.

Any advice very gratefully received
Old 09-02-2006, 11:03 AM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

If you want to reduce BF%....80% is diet and keeping a close eye on the calories.

You say lots of fruit......this is good but go easy as fruit contains fructose a form of simple sugar...so only 2 aday and not heeped together.

Nuts are good as they are full of good fats and protein but can be high in calories.

Keep up the weight training and add in the cardio.....the most effective way of burning fat is cardio in the morning on an empty stomach. Due to your over night fasting which will force your body to use more fat as energy than any other time of day. If you are worried about muscle loss keep HIT training to 20mins or 45min @70-80% max HR....or take Glutamine to minimize the loss.

Assess your levels once a week and dial in more cardio or short and sharp weight sessions as you need rather than cutting the calories to low. You need to keep eating to raise you metabolism and split your meals into 6-7 or even 8 small ones through out the day.

Hope that gives you a few pointers for now, and plenty on here to keep you busy
Old 09-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Muska

thats very much, that will get me on the right track.

Old 09-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Old 10-02-2006, 02:46 PM
FAST AS FORD
PassionFord Regular

Also, your better off having your whey (protein drink) with water after your workout as milk will make it slow release when your body needs it quick. If you have whey before you go to bed then have it with milk as the slow release will be of benefit. Do you have a shake in the morning? If yes, have it with water here also as your body has been fasting all night.
As rsptg said, make sure you have regular meals, every 3 hours or so and base them around a protein source as protein is also very thrermogenic, meaning 20-30% of the calories contained will be used just to digest it!
Have an idea of how many cals you may use in a day then take about 500 off, then you'll have a figure to divide by your meals
example - cals used in a day 2500 - 500 = 2000cals, if your gunna eat 5 meals then they must be around 400cals each or 6 meals 334cals etc...
As long as you have a cal deficit you will loose weight (fat+muscle).
If you eat regular and keep your protein up you will loose fat with little muscle
If you have a cal deficit but eat bad food choices and leave big gaps between meals then you will loose more muscle than fat.
Its impossible to loose weight and not loose muscle, but by eating correctly you can limit the loss (unless your an 100% mesomorph, which very few of us are ).

How much have i written!
Old 11-02-2006, 12:08 AM
Muska

cheers for the advice, again much appreciated!

i think from reading all this i would be better off to keep building muscle for a few months then trying to cut the body fat. as i don't want to lose any muscle right now!
Old 11-02-2006, 05:52 AM
FAST AS FORD
PassionFord Regular

Make sure you get your cals in, to gain size you must be in a cal surplus -
6 x 500-600 cal meals a day should do it
A favourite of mine when bulking is rice cakes with peanut butter, i love 'em!
Old 12-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Danielle
PassionFord Post Whore!!

hey don't worry too much, if your 17% and under your put in the 'athlete' category!!!!!!
Old 13-02-2006, 01:50 AM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was suprised to find mine measured 14.4% at my mates house the other day
Old 13-02-2006, 05:54 AM
FAST AS FORD
PassionFord Regular

Tbh, the monitors aren't the most accurate things to rely on.
The best way to use them is, for example, if its says your 14.4% now and then next time you check your 13.9% then you know you have lost 0.5% of your bodyfat! wether you actually are 13.9 or whatever is neither here nor there as long as you've dropped B/F.
Old 13-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FAST AS FORD yeah i can believe theyre not greatly accurate, but i was less than all my mates haha