Fiesta RS1800/RS Turbo This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Fiesta RS Range of cars.

Idle Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 01:35 PM
Griffith500user
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Issues

Yesterday I fiddled with my idle to try and sort out the slightly intermittent high idle.

I followed the procedure of allowing it to fully warm up, disconnecting the idle control valve and adjusting the base idle screw to set idle at 750rpm. It was there or there abouts already but a tweek of the screw made no difference to the revs. So more and more tweeking later It had made no difference at all but I stopped anyway. I plugged the idle control in and left it to idle for 10mins then took it out for a drive. Idle was now low to stalling, and didnt get any better. Later in the day when the engine had cooled off I thought I’d try again. This time it wouldn’t hold an idle to even start it. I tried disconnecting the idle control and winding the screw fully in then in half turn increments until it was fully wound out - no idle.

This morning I have removed the throttle body and cleaned out the idle metering screw and orifice. There was a little bit of crud on it but nothing to mention.

All back together now and I have disconnected the battery as a fresh start, question is should I attempt the first start with or without the idle control plugged in to adjust a base idle (will it even hold an idle if it’s not warmed up?) and what is a good start point for the adjustment screw in terms of no. Of turns out from fully in?

Sorry it’s a big read. It was running so well yesterday morning I wish I’d never fiddled!