Fiesta RS1800/RS Turbo This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Fiesta RS Range of cars.

Poor starting. No spark at plugs.

Old 20-09-2016, 06:46 AM
TheBiscuit
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor starting. No spark at plugs.

Hello everyone. I'm hoping there's someone out there who can help me with the poor starting problem with my Fiesta RS Turbo engine.
What happens is whenever I go to start the engine, whether it's hot or cold doesn't seem to matter, around nine times out of ten I have to turn it on the starter for around 2 to 3 seconds before it fires.
I have run a test with a strobe light on all the plug leads and it's obvious that during those initial seconds there is no spark at the plugs. All the time the starter is turning over the injectors are fuelling the engine and flooding it.
Once the plugs begin to spark the engine fires up and takes some time to settle down to a decent tick over due to the over rich condition.
Once the engine has started it runs well and is in very good order and is totally standard.
I have gone down the obvious route of changing the EDIs and the coil pack but it has made no difference.
I have read up on the workings of the EDIS and wondered if there is something up with the signals between it and the ECU causing the problem. I thought the EDIS has a default setting if it didn't get any signal from the ECU as a limp home measure so thought that would at least mean there is a spark at the plugs at all times, but maybe not?
I'm getting concerned about bore wash and premature wear of the engine as its getting through so much fuel during starting so would very much appreciate any advice.
Thanks for your time.