Fiesta RS1800/RS Turbo This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Fiesta RS Range of cars.

Just Brought my 2nd FRST

Search this Thread

Old 30-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Taphouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Brought my 2nd FRST

Hi all.

I have just brought my 2nd frst, and it been 8 years since the first one. I've got a list of things to sort out around the car, but I am unsure what to do in the engine department. My old one was set-up by power engineering, and delivered the power exactly as I want from the new one.

Old spec as I remember:

piper cam and vernier, can't rememeber which cam exactly.
-31 actuator
Superchip possibly 165?
Air filter
Scorpion Exhaust

Now the current spec one, seems to have a better spec (spec is taken from the advert):-

t3 Turbo upgrade
Radtec front mount intercooler
Cosworth Air filter
Stage 3 Area 6 cylinder head with cvh34 camshaft and vernier pulley??
165 chip.
Scorpion exhaust system

It runs and holds 15psi which seems a little high in my option, and still has standard injectors. It also seems to have no power down low, and has so much lag its a joke. It all feels a little wrong, and I know it been a long time since owning my first frst but that seemed like it just want to get up and go. I don't want big power, just a reliable engine with a bit of punch.

I guess my questions are; In the short term should I be looking to turn the boost down a bit, say back to 10/12psi, and will that help with trying to get it feeling a bit more punchy? Secondly longer term, should I be looking to go back to a T2 to reduce the lag run less psi, and possibly look at having a different cam, drop the bhp but have it more punch but less top end.

All help would be appreciated for a guy trying to find his feet back in the world of RS ownership!

Cheers Andy
Old 31-08-2012, 10:48 AM
stevenr
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Where did you bring it from?
Old 13-09-2012, 10:51 PM
GTR_STU
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm no expert but as a Frst owner myself now I've been doing plenty of reading and talking to people. And from what your car is currently set up for I am not surprised by the lag you are getting as nearly everyone will agree that the t2 is a little pocket rocket but runs out of steam earlier than the t3.

So if you are just after the original instant get up and go this would be the first thing I would change.

And I promise that you will find a lot of people out there willing to do a straight swap t2 kit for t3 as some people prefer the higher bhp numbers possible from running the t3 set up.

I can't see why you would have to change the cam back though as the current boost is not too high.