Fiesta RS1800/RS Turbo This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Fiesta RS Range of cars.

zetec-se 200+?

Search this Thread

Old 28-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Gorbash123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zetec-se 200+?

looking to get 200+ out of a zetec-se and so far all i've managed is to find more dead ends than answers

first idea was to go for throttle bodies and omex but on closer inspection it appears this will cost massively as in order for the rest of the car to be run i'd need to have a custom loom made and just generally redo pretty much everything, also was informed that the 210bhp tb'd se's are very hard to drive normally as they are extremely peaky and flat a witch's breasticle at lower revs

so onto idea no. 2 supercharging using a eaton M45 from a cooper s (very easy to get hold of due to my job ) so far as far as reseach all i know is that i will need:

supercharger +custom mounting brackets
bespoke crank pulley for the belt drive
bespoke intake manifold (looks like a right git to design and get made up)
larger injectors
low comp pistons
different cams (i'm right in thinking mild is best for forced induction???)
reworked head a possibility but not a necessity?
forged con rods
arp fasteners
some kind of head gasket to suit
Larger throttle body
Intercooler
all pipework
larger fuel rail with rising rate fuel reg?
better fuel pump

then of course the whole management and loom issue

which i am really stuck with so if anyone can point me in the right direction or even give me some advice on what i can do to pull this off (200bhp+ and reliable/everyday driveable) it would be much appreciated

thanks
Lewis
Old 28-06-2006, 08:30 PM
Gorbash123

anyone?
Old 29-06-2006, 12:40 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Speak to Owen Developments as they have worked on 2 turbo zetec-SE based on puma 1.7 lumps.

VAD also did a supercharger conversion on a 1.6 zetec SE a while back.
Old 29-06-2006, 06:17 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Turbo. Been lots of Turbo'd Pumas over the years
Old 29-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Gorbash123

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
Speak to Owen Developments as they have worked on 2 turbo zetec-SE based on puma 1.7 lumps.

VAD also did a supercharger conversion on a 1.6 zetec SE a while back.
VAD no longer do their supercharger or turbo conversions as far as i know

also for the money i don't believe the VAD kit is particularly good using a decompression plate doesn't really instill confidence in me

however will see what owen developments say cheers for that

as for a turbo i was originally interested in this but for that it'd be probably more expense to build as i'd have to find a turbo to suit the engine and then buy it... (the supercharger was an eaton M45 from a cooper s as i already have access to a stock of them from works kit converted cars)

but i will bear that in mind .. also thought it'd be a little different to go for a supercharged 1600 as i think it would suit a front driver a lot more than a turbo (nice spread of power versus sudden spike??)

anyone else have any views or sggestions on this..

thanks
Lewis
Old 29-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Tuning the zetec SE is not cheap to do especially if you want road spec and drivability.

Is it for your Mk6 fez?? If so you would be better off going the duratec route AKA ST150 as all the mounts etc are off the shelf and there is already easy tuning potential to 200+bhp NA and beyond with forced induction.
Old 30-06-2006, 01:20 AM
Gorbash123

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
Tuning the zetec SE is not cheap to do especially if you want road spec and drivability.

Is it for your Mk6 fez?? If so you would be better off going the duratec route AKA ST150 as all the mounts etc are off the shelf and there is already easy tuning potential to 200+bhp NA and beyond with forced induction.
yes it is for the mk6 the 2 litre duratec is another possibility but it's heavier takes up way more room in the bay to the point that i don't see how it would be possible to fit a supercharger or turbo in there without taking massive chunks out of the bulkhead or chassis legs

i do know where your coming from but it just seems like such an overdone route i mean the engine isn't exactly awe inspiring in standard form i test drove 1 and it just felt lazy i mean don't get me wrong it's fast all right but it never really feels like it's giving it's all

basically i want to work out how much it'd set me back to get more from the 1600 and then i'll try and decide if it's worth going that route as the duratec seems to have been adopted very quickly by tuning companies which i suppose is a plus point but theres so little available for the st it's ridiculous

am i mad?
Old 04-07-2006, 09:51 PM
Gorbash123

got beaten by a new shape corsa today so feeling rather annoyed about the lack of power

so if i got the head reworked
larger valves
piper cams + verniers
4-2-1 manifold with sport cat and full miltek system
what sort of power could i reasonably expect to get?

also is an frp inlet a reasonably straightforward swap if i move the TB? is it possible?
Old 04-07-2006, 10:57 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

I've just spent Ł6k on my 1.7 to get it from a 1.7 with exhaust up to 210bhp with throttle bodies, custom head and cams and omex 600 ecu. And thats with a second hand ecu and loom out of another Puma already wired up and with the correct map so no need for dyno time.

FRP inlet is a relatively easy swap but won't make a huge increase in power unless you have cams, exhaust and ecu map to boot.

The mods you suggest should give about 170bhp on a 1.7 with suitable ECU remap
Old 03-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Gorbash123

hmmm well i've now done a fair bit of the work needed first with the miltek 4-2-1 and a 200 cell sports cat system however now have 120bhp and having major issues with the standard management throwing hissy fits (stuttering when cold etc) and overfuelling due to the mil light being on is getting a bit annoying

so far it's a toss up between:

dreamscience remap with the cams and a frp manifold (pumaspeed think it'd be easy to fit but i'm not so sure)

leave it be and buy something faster next year (quotes for a frs are alreayd pretty reasonable imo @ 1380 fully comp)

or bite the bullet and just get the frs engine put in there which at standard power etc is probs going to cost 4k ish region

on a plus the handling of the car is absolutely top notch so besides a brake upgrade that side of things i'm happy can easily handle it

anybody have any advice/ words of wisdom on this?

thanks
Lewis
Old 04-01-2007, 02:44 PM
749steve
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

from what i can see two options spend an arm and a leg tuning and end up with a car thats not nice to drive around town
or wait and buy something fast to start with, and easier to tune
like the frs
so id buy the frs
start saving!