Concours d'élégance. The section dedicated to those who like things pristione and shiny. Buftys in other words.

Detailing Advice for new car

Old 05-07-2008, 12:06 PM
AGAR-COSWORTH
Redumbdancy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Detailing Advice for new car

Hi all,

Next Saturday i will be taking delivery of a mint GTI Anniversary in Tornado Red - the car is generally very clean and i would like to detail it once i get it. I have detailed my current car (Moonstone Silver) but would like some more advice of what products and methods to use, so bear with me please:

Wheels - Can someone recommend me a good de-greaser/cleaner to rid the wheels of any brake dust/road grime? I was also thinking about claying the wheels before applying my PoorBoys Wheel Sealant. What clay and lube is best to use for alloys?

Interior - The interior is mainly scratch free but is now 5 years old and could do with a freshen up. I would like to treat all the plastics and door seals but don't want them to appear "shiney" and cheap. I'm after a natural look coating/protector for the plastics. Are there any good brushes i can use to get into the hard to reach areas? I currently have Durgloss 201 spray for my leather gearknob and steering wheel - is this good enough? Ive heard people recommend liquid leather before. Again i want the leather to look factory fresh and not shiney. The current interior carpet mats could do with a shampoo, which is best to use for this and what method do i use? Finally for the interior, in the boot there is a spillage of oil/muck, what can i use to clean this?

Engine Bay - I would like to degrease the engine, then treat the plastics and protect them against further coverings of dirt. Is "Muc off" ok to use to clean the bay?

Exterior - In general the exterior paint is in good condition with little swirling, but i would still like to improve on it, and make the paint shine very deeply. For my current car (silver) i still have:

Prima Amigo
Duragloss 111 Clear Coat Polish
Poor Boys SSR2
Poor Boys Spray and Wipe

I would like to re-use these whereever possible, however is there anything different i should be using for the red paint?

There are a few deep scratches in the paint where the driver's door shut is - how should i treat these?

Any recommendations of where to buy my products from are also welcome.

Thanks,

Agar
Old 05-07-2008, 01:12 PM
jock05
Regular Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wheels: Try Megs Wheel Brightener (can be diluted down) for clay use Bilt Hamber auto clay bar (you can use water as lube)
Interior: Try Gliptone for the leather. As for the soiling use Megs All Purpose cleaner
Engine: Megs Degreaser - this can be diluted down and is the best I've tried.
Exterior. You have a good selection already. I would suggest Clearkote Red Moose Glaze followed by Collinite 476 wax or Dodo Juice.

To purchase: detailed obsession, polished bliss, serious performance, motorgeek, performance motorcare, clean you car, clean and shiny to name but a few!
Old 05-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Gav Diamond
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wheels: I would say use something like Autosmart Smart wheels and Autosmart Tardis, you can use any mild clay to be fair but i would not use it on the paint after you have done wheels.

Interior plastics: i use Poorboys Naterial look dressing but its each to there own really

Engine bay: again is personal choice, i'd try the muc off if you have it already, if not maybe megs super degreser.
To treat with after i have seen good results from 303 Aerospace protectant, have got some but yet to try.

Exterior: Try what you have as there is no point spending just for the sake of it, but as said above i would give the Clearkote red moose glaze then the 476 a go as its a long lasting sealant/wax

I generally perchase my stuff from cleanyourcar.co.uk and polishedbliss.co.uk

Hope this helps
Old 05-07-2008, 06:39 PM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Email www.detailedobsession.co.uk
Old 22-10-2018, 11:46 AM
Rsmat
300+

Received 583 Likes on 516 Posts

Do them week in week out ..rubber the plastic and use C4 mate .
Old 19-12-2018, 10:00 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

10 Years on I bet he is using the polish car wash now