Computers, Consoles and I.T. Post all computer related chat in here for our I.T techies to help with. Please be aware that any discussions related to piracy will be removed and render the member liable to a possible ban. Piracy renders PassionFord Admin liable for prosecution, as well as its members.

**Attention - Old School gamers ** Remember Elite?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 08:48 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts
Default **Attention - Old School gamers ** Remember Elite?

Hi guys,
I somehow missed the loop on this one. As a kid / teenager I remember vividly wasting my life away on one of the first truly involved games ever created to my Mind... Frontier: Elite. That was back in the mid 1980's and it had you trading in goods around teh galaxy. Simple buy cheap, sell high, you could buy it, or destroy other spaceships and scoop up their goods from the debris. groundbreaking in its day.

Remember it?

Well its back...
http://elitedangerous.com/

I pre-ordered last night and got to grips with the training demo they have released. So far so good...

I can see me becoming a victim of a certain user on here who hates adults playing games for hours. LOL
Old 09-12-2014, 09:18 AM
t230
PassionFord Regular

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

age?
im 39 - got 360 n xbox one.. i think gaming increases my co-ordination and rflex skillz

Seriousl pondering a gaming PC purely for this and ARMR 3

I had Elite on the spectrum though
Old 09-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Chopshop85
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Is it full release yet? Or still early access?
Old 09-12-2014, 01:14 PM
oibren85
If in Doubt Flat Out...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Still early access and waiting for it to be released, going to pre order after Christmas. Looks really good and i'm a proper PC gamer. Games like this is why i think PC rule over consoles for gaming, just a shame that you have to spend twice as much as a games console. Never played the original or heard of it but the writer and team have done some previous ones like the X:Com series so you know it will be good.

Did you see the spaceships you can get for paying upfront? Ones like Ł200 or something and looks mega.

This and Assetto Corsa will waste my life i would think.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:19 PM
oibren85
If in Doubt Flat Out...

Plus same keyboard and joystick combo as i do. Do you have any worthwhile apps for the G19? Cant seem to find any worth having really bar Fraps.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:21 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by t230
age?
I'm 43

Originally Posted by Chopshop85
Is it full release yet? Or still early access?
7 days to launch mate.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:24 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by oibren85
Plus same keyboard and joystick combo as i do. Do you have any worthwhile apps for the G19? Cant seem to find any worth having really bar Fraps.
Nothing much worthwhile mate, I use it for hardware monitiring as my PC's overclocked HARD and was used for serious benching in the HW bot league
(I Was still in the top 10 in Europe last time I checked)

However - display technology has moved on... Google "Logitech ARX control" and get the App for your smartphone.
Your already software compatible with those logitech products you own.
The following users liked this post:
oibren85 (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Chopshop85
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Still early access and waiting for it to be released, going to pre order after Christmas. Looks really good and i'm a proper PC gamer. Games like this is why i think PC rule over consoles for gaming, just a shame that you have to spend twice as much as a games console. Never played the original or heard of it but the writer and team have done some previous ones like the X:Com series so you know it will be good.

Did you see the spaceships you can get for paying upfront? Ones like Ł200 or something and looks mega.

This and Assetto Corsa will waste my life i would think.
You spend twice as much on a rig, but half/quater on games.
I can't remember the last time I payed more than Ł26 on launch day for a game.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:35 PM
oibren85
If in Doubt Flat Out...

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Nothing much worthwhile mate, I use it for hardware monitiring as my PC's overclocked HARD and was used for serious benching in the HW bot league
(I Was still in the top 10 in Europe last time I checked)

However - display technology has moved on... Google "Logitech ARX control" and get the App for your smartphone.
Your already software compatible with those logitech products you own.
Cheers will have a look into that, and didnt realise it was only 7 days till launch!

@chopshop (some reason it wont let me quote your message!) I think that inital outlay for a good solid gaming PC can put people off as well as the space sometime required while a PS4 etc. is plug and play to a TV. I would always pick a PC over games console and like stu have the 3 monitors and big rig setup with my dedicated room for it all. I have no issue spending Ł600 on a CPU while some would think thats stupid. Saying that, its a never ending money pit!
Old 09-12-2014, 04:41 PM
oibren85
If in Doubt Flat Out...

Ahh just checked it wasn't Elite i was thinking of! it was Star Citizen out in 2016!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game

Similar concept i think. May look at Elite but its Star Citizen that i was after.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:40 PM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Star Citizen looks great too, considering it's purely funded by the public.

Having played EVE before, I'm hoping this doesn't require you to play for a year before you're anywhere near ready to take up PVP.

I'll certainly be looking into this if I can get my new rig sorted, I can't get it to start!
Old 09-12-2014, 07:35 PM
Chopshop85
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by CrOwSoN15
Star Citizen looks great too, considering it's purely funded by the public.

Having played EVE before, I'm hoping this doesn't require you to play for a year before you're anywhere near ready to take up PVP.

I'll certainly be looking into this if I can get my new rig sorted, I can't get it to start!
Its the funded by the public bit that i'm worried about. They seem to be waaaay to ambitious for the money/team they have. However, sometimes it can work like CD project RED with the Witcher.

Whats going on with the new rig?
Old 10-12-2014, 11:26 AM
oibren85
If in Doubt Flat Out...

Its the funded by the public bit that i'm worried about. They seem to be waaaay to ambitious for the money/team they have. However, sometimes it can work like CD project RED with the Witcher.
I think this one will go like Assetto where there is enough people interested in something like this that the funding will just keep coming in as it goes through the stages. I was one of the first to grab AC and it only had 3 cars and some tracks and it just kept getting add ons and up dates and now is a proper game and still being added to. Star Citizen seems to have some good backers and already quadrupled what it wanted so should have a good basis to start from.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:05 AM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Whats going on with the new rig?
Well I had it boot up on the box with the graphics card, cpu and ram, but I used the standard issue cpu cooler whereas I'll be using a sealed Corsair water unit.
Now its all in the case it won't boot up at all, the power button on the mobo is illuminated but she won't go!
Old 11-12-2014, 07:56 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Take her out and check the case didn't have a mobo riser in the wrong place and its shorted a couple of tracks out. Been there, done that.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:33 AM
Mad_Mat
New Owner

Received 93 Likes on 90 Posts

Just had a look at some Elite Dangerous footage on youtube. Visually looks very impressive. I think you would have to put some hours into it to get the most from it.
I cant be bothered for the whole pc malarky and dont want to spend out on a high spec pc so hopefully they port it onto the PS4. Seems xbox and ps4 controllers are popular with it and I would think the PS4 has the power to deliver the visuals.
Old 20-12-2014, 10:18 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Awesome video here showing some in flight dogfighting.
It's not a "quick fix" game by any means and needs a lot of time to get into it and start to feel comfortable, but it is without a shadow of a doubt technically awesome. Works great with my Track IR5 head tracker too which makes the three screen eyefinity even better than ever. So far... Love it, but it's a bit frustrating at times.

Last edited by Stu @ M Developments; 20-12-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 20-12-2014, 12:42 PM
t230
PassionFord Regular

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i originally 'backed' this through kickstarter....still missed out on beta and gamme tho....
Old 20-12-2014, 01:53 PM
oibren85
If in Doubt Flat Out...

Thats quality Stu, makes me wanna buy it so will do after Christmas. Had a look on the head tracker thing too, looks interesting. Really want the Drift but this could be a compromise while i wait for them to bring out a 4k version of it. Is it sensitive? How do you look up above you and still see the screens if that makes sense?

Will look to get one of these as well (so basically blatantly copy you!)
Old 21-12-2014, 05:26 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Thats quality Stu, makes me wanna buy it so will do after Christmas. Had a look on the head tracker thing too, looks interesting. Really want the Drift but this could be a compromise while i wait for them to bring out a 4k version of it. Is it sensitive? How do you look up above you and still see the screens if that makes sense? Will look to get one of these as well (so basically blatantly copy you!)
I like the trackIR, it's. A nice piece of kit. Bear with it, it's very configurable and works well if you spend the time to get it right. It's a matter of playing with the sensitivity settings and dead zone. I have up down set more sensitive to last right so I don't have to look up far to make it go up.

Plenty of stuff on YouTube for examples and they just released a profile for elite so it's almost perfect out of the box.

One tip I would add, the pro clip isn't worth the extra money for me unless you have bright light sources behind your head. The normal clips fine, just fit it to an old baseball cap and your away and no woes on your head. Worth saving the cash there in my opinion.

Copy all you like mate, the more users it has, the more game support it gets.

If your local to Blackpool, your welcome to come and try it out with a brew. It's not for everyone, but I like it.
Old 21-12-2014, 09:53 AM
oibren85
If in Doubt Flat Out...

I like the trackIR, it's. A nice piece of kit. Bear with it, it's very configurable and works well if you spend the time to get it right. It's a matter of playing with the sensitivity settings and dead zone. I have up down set more sensitive to last right so I don't have to look up far to make it go up.

Plenty of stuff on YouTube for examples and they just released a profile for elite so it's almost perfect out of the box.

One tip I would add, the pro clip isn't worth the extra money for me unless you have bright light sources behind your head. The normal clips fine, just fit it to an old baseball cap and your away and no woes on your head. Worth saving the cash there in my opinion.

Copy all you like mate, the more users it has, the more game support it gets.

If your local to Blackpool, your welcome to come and try it out with a brew. It's not for everyone, but I like it.
Cheers for the offer, unfortunately i'm all the way down in Cambridgeshire so bit far to come for a brew! Would've loved to though to check it out. Thanks for the advice on the clip, did see that but as I dont wear a headset was thinking of ways to use it, but I play in the dark so best of with the other then. Watched some videos online so it looks like a good bit of kit and will get this and the game after Christmas when its all quietened down a little. Going to purchase two GPX's as well and will be must first Radeon purchase after Nvidia for so long as my MB only supports crossfire and not SLi. Depending on funds, may just purchase new MB and use current in a HTPC and then just get a second Nvidia card.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:57 PM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

How are you getting on with this mate? As soon as I get interweb sorted in the room I'll be looking at this, I was going to get back into EVE but the exploration side of things on this is tipping it although the lack of huge ships is a little disappointing, are there any new ships coming in the future?

What flight stick setup are you using? Quite fancy one for myself but don't want to be splashing out on something like a Warthog!
Old 02-01-2015, 04:46 PM
oibren85
If in Doubt Flat Out...

Hes got the same as me, the Saitek X52 Pro Flight control. Its good and not bad price at Ł150
Old 02-01-2015, 04:59 PM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Plenty of buttons and switches?
Old 05-01-2015, 09:10 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

How are you getting on with this mate? As soon as I get interweb sorted in the room I'll be looking at this, I was going to get back into EVE but the exploration side of things on this is tipping it although the lack of huge ships is a little disappointing, are there any new ships coming in the future?

What flight stick setup are you using? Quite fancy one for myself but don't want to be splashing out on something like a Warthog!
Not bad - getting a little bored with it now to be honest but only because we need some more upgrades. The devs have promised to add another 10-15 ships soon and more game content, should spice things up a bit.

A few days ago I realised you can swop out your cargo hold for a bigger one though so have found myself a rares route worth exploiting so now have about a million credits to spend next time I play.

I cant imagine trying to play this without the Saitek to be honest... the game really needs you to be able to turn and yaw at the same time.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:11 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Plenty of buttons and switches?
More than enough!
http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/x52pro.html
Old 07-01-2015, 08:49 AM
arch
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Stu,
Is setting up the three monitors really as easy as it seems? I'm a flight sim PC type, and I keep looking at going the three screen route. I'm using a GTX770, so not state of the art but it should cope.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:02 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by arch
Stu,
Is setting up the three monitors really as easy as it seems? I'm a flight sim PC type, and I keep looking at going the three screen route. I'm using a GTX770, so not state of the art but it should cope.
Ive never tried it with Nvidia but its simple with AMD. Just plug them all in and setup an eyefinity resolution and your away.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:15 AM
arch

Cheers, I shall think on.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:07 PM
oibren85
If in Doubt Flat Out...

Ive never tried it with Nvidia but its simple with AMD. Just plug them all in and setup an eyefinity resolution and your away.

Super simple with Nvidia and hasnt been a hassle setting them up with bezel managment tool. Mine are faultless and only running a small GTX660ti at present. Its really worth the investment if your a gamer.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:11 PM
arch

Super simple with Nvidia and hasnt been a hassle setting them up with bezel managment tool. Mine are faultless and only running a small GTX660ti at present. Its really worth the investment if your a gamer.
I've been reading up some more on a triple set up. It's all over my head at the minute. In simple terms, I buy three monitors, and then something about display ports? Also, on another forum someone reckons you need one of these
http://www.overclock.net/t/1437364/m...dp-3x-hdmi-etc

Thoughts?
Old 12-01-2015, 10:32 AM
oibren85
If in Doubt Flat Out...

Originally Posted by arch
I've been reading up some more on a triple set up. It's all over my head at the minute. In simple terms, I buy three monitors, and then something about display ports? Also, on another forum someone reckons you need one of these
http://www.overclock.net/t/1437364/m...dp-3x-hdmi-etc

Thoughts?
I have on my Asus GTX660ti 3 ports, 2 DVI and 1 HDMI. Three monitors plug into each of these ports and change a couple settings in control panel and you have them all up and running. I dont have any issues with needing adapters or additional equipment. Just settings on Nvidia control panel and they work fine.

I used to use a Matrox Triplehead2go for my 3 monitor setup when i had my old Sli cards (cant remember the cards but it was about 3years ago and they where uber fast then) but its not needed now on a card that was half the price. I cant decide whether to go with ATi for my next dual cards setup as thats what my motherboard supports or wait a year and save to upgrade the whole PC and make it something a little special and then use this PC as my HTPC in my lounge.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:25 PM
arch

All seems rather easy to set up. Although I do like this

Philips BDM4065UC/00 UHD 40-Inch Monitor (16:9, 3840 x 2160): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories Philips BDM4065UC/00 UHD 40-Inch Monitor (16:9, 3840 x 2160): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:29 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

What you need to remember, is that even with a 6ft wide monitor, you will never have the Eyefinity experience as Eyefinity, is actually a different output to each screen, not just a "Larger" screen.

Better info by watching and interacting with this page.
http://www.sapphiretech.com/Eyefinit...ity_video.html
Old 12-01-2015, 05:10 PM
arch

Seems very immersive Stu, ta.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:21 PM
oibren85
If in Doubt Flat Out...

Nvidia is the same i think Stu, Doesnt stretch the screen over the 3 its actually expands the visual screen so you actually see more of the game rather then stretched over the 3.