Wheels and Tyres Wheels and Tyres for all Ford's

Galaxy > Transit Connect

Search this Thread

Old 28-07-2015, 12:52 PM
LostInTransit
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Galaxy > Transit Connect

Here's my issue, For nearly 5 months I've been searching for a set of wheels for our 2015 Transit Connect XL SWB 2.5L I4. After 3 failed attempts.. I think I finally found one, in Europe.

The first issue was that, It was hard enough finding the correct bolt pattern: 5-108 (5x4.25) then the right size wheel.. some say 17x8 (which actually measures 18x9) and 9'' is way to wide for our van.. We've tried it on the 775 Rockstars, Didn't fit.

I had to venture into the Europe wheel sites just to find something different and factory made, cause I wanted to stay away from the after market wheel. FordPartsUK.com has the 17x7 Galaxy/S-Max wheel with the correct bolt pattern, The correct Center Bore but there may be an issue with the Offset: 55mm as compared to the current 48mm - 50mm?? (Unsure)

So, does anyone have access to the 17x7 10 spoke Galaxy/S-Max wheel that they can try and test fit them/one on their Transit Connect?
Old 03-08-2015, 03:49 PM
LostInTransit
Virgin

Update:

So I've been in contact with Trevor via FordPartsUK and he seems to think these wheel will fit.. But I've heard that before. again my concern is the 55mm offset. Now another concern just popped up.. The lug size. According to all specs we need M12s.. the wheel above says M14..

This has been an on going battle of ours to find a stock alloy wheel that will fit on the Transit Connect.. Sure Ford offers an alloy wheel.. and we don't like it.. too ordinary. But I wanted to clue anyone reading about something I found out about these online wheel sites. They claim a wheel fit guaranty. But searching sites like CariD they have a long list of wheel options for our minCargo van.. But they don't list what the offset is on these wheels.. Thus one would have to explore the wheels manufacture site.. I found out that several of those wheels which I thought we might be interested in.. turns out the offset on these wheels are in the 73mm range which is way too wide.

So how can CariD sell these wheels with that kind of offset.. one thing they don't tell you is that, they're guarantee includes a "hub-centric" wheel ring which you must purchase also. Yeah sure that wheel looks great, but wouldn't fit on your car/truck etc when you try in mount it.. because CariD didn't inform you that you needed hub centric wheel rings.

My next option was to search for Volvo wheels, same bolt patter, offset is 50mm but again the center bore (65.1mm) & the lug size (M14) are an issue. There I contacted a custom wheel shop.. they can mill me 2 piece set for $780.00 ea. (not an option) Then another company said they would alter their wheel design to fit our transit.. I'm like great.. but there was a catch.. min order of 200 wheels costing nearly 31K..

My wife said it best, drive our stock steel wheels and crappy tires into the ground, and hopefully sometime down the road someone will create that perfect wheel for our van.
Old 13-08-2015, 09:26 PM
LostInTransit
Virgin

Here's the Latest:

Because no American company is willing to help us out or even give us the correct information based on their "paper work", this just tells me no one has actually took the time to fit a set of wheels on the 2014-current Transit Connect.

We may have exciting news in the works.. because no North American wheel manufacture has the balls to help us create a custom wheel, A Spanish rally wheel manufacture thats has been in business and competing for more that 46 years has stepped forward to offer support. BraidUSA (their sister base here in the states) is going to offer us/our van the wheel above and this is great news, affordable, and custom milled to fit our van.

Here's An Image of those wheels:

We're going to be looking for and requesting:

1) 17'x7'' wheel
2) Bolt Pattern: 5-108 (5x4.25)
3) Center Bore: 63.3mm (no wheel ring needed)
4) Offset: 45mm [COLOR="Red"]

Last edited by LostInTransit; 17-08-2015 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Edited Offset
Old 14-08-2015, 05:20 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Go to www.ford transit.org for answers
Old 14-08-2015, 05:34 PM
LostInTransit
Virgin

dojj.. been there done that, don't agree with the format nor those who are there.. Not sure that I was banned, but I'm unable to login back at that site along with three other TransCon sites/forums. (check the pages for my account) same here as there.

However, Paul via BraidUSA seems to have things under control.. knows what he is doing, offering the right and positive comments based on our needs and what the van can handle. I'm looking forward to receiving his template so they can get started on milling those wheels for us.
Old 14-08-2015, 06:29 PM
dojj

The connect will take the stock ford rims, plenty of people have done so before, where you may have issues though I'd in the loading specs, the wheels are meant for cars and not vans, any failures might see you in the shit for that reason
The tyres you use need to be van rated as well, it's been a while but they would need a higher loading than a car tyre

5*108 is now standard but later Volvo and later jaguars share the same pcd if you can't get what you need from ford

Hth
Old 14-08-2015, 06:31 PM
dojj

Also, the mk3 Mondeo uses an 18" rim that is 7.5 wide
Old 14-08-2015, 06:55 PM
LostInTransit
Virgin

I hear where you're coming from and I've done the research as well as the searching, sites like wheel-size.com, rimsntires.com and tacomaworld.org have been a big help. The issue is (pertaining to Volvo S60 wheels) is that the center bore is 65.1mm where as the TransCon's is 63.3, at this point a wheel ring (hub-centric) or a wheel spacer would be needed.
According to our dealership.. if we use anything larger that 63.3 (center bore) this could cause undue stress on the barrings etc and Ford will not cover this. My point here is.. that no one (American or Europe) has stepped up and supported my questions or concerns.

At first it was the wheels width, then it moved to the bolt pattern (roadkillcustoms.com) helped me figure out what bolt pattern we have.. Then there is the bolt pattern's depth.. Center bore etc the list kept growing and nothing was fitting as it should be. Last it was the Offset.

One point I selected 2 different Volvo wheels, but one has a larger center bore, while the other has a weird offset. If you see a tread here, you're not alone.. Nothing was meant to fit on the TransCon other than 3 wheels ford offers for it. 5 months of searching almost down the drain.. until BraidUSA stepped in after wheelpros, 4wheelonline & 1010tire all failed to offer clear cut and precise advice often they were caught double talking because too many became involved.

As I said above.. I think I'm in good hands now.. it's just a matter of time before BraidUSA has an official answer to all our questions and concerns about what wheel and tire is best suited for our van. Mind you I wanted something rugged/custom not something already run of the mill.. true the BraidUSA wheels have been proven on the track and off road during rally racing.. and BraidUSA is actually open to the idea of having their wheels on our van, Paul via BraidUSA even drives the larger Transit Van with the BraidUSA wheels.

Last edited by LostInTransit; 14-08-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 24-09-2015, 12:10 AM
LostInTransit
Virgin

Here's The Latest:

Turns out that the BraidUSA wheels are not DOT approved.. thus we'll have to continue searching elsewhere.. Our two possible leads are the Volvo S60 Etc wheels or the Ford Focus ST wheels.. But as a stand by.. our old factory wheels may just get powder coated.. I'm not in agreement with powder coating them Magnesium blue.. So again I've been searching for solid steel wheels without all the holes and having them powder coated a tan color..

We keep swinging back and forth based on what wheel we find and like.. the Van is either going to have a stance look to it.. Or we'll continue with our first concept thought of an overlander and after I found some topical maps of the mountains.. we might do better with the overland concept than the stancer.

Last edited by LostInTransit; 24-09-2015 at 12:17 AM.
Old 24-09-2015, 05:40 PM
LostInTransit
Virgin

Update:

New Wheels Hopes On The Horizon?..

We're at our wits end when I had a brain storm and though about getting a set of steel wheels off another car/truck etc. Searching sites like stockwheel.com and using the info from wheel-size, tacomaworld and many others.. I found that the 2000 Ford Taurus has 16x6.5 alloy wheels with a center bore of 63.4 and an offset of 39mm.

The offset is what concerns me.. but after entering this data into the calculations system via wheel-size.com.. I found that it clears everything yet the wheel/tire will stick out approx 9mm farther. Which in this case can be a good thing.. Reasoning.. is that our van (all Transit Connect) are top heavy (prone to side tip over) with the offset of 39mm.. this will give the van a better stance (surefooted) yeah us.

Although I don't like the wheel's design and I wish that it was in a 17'' size.. It comes in two color options: Painted Silver & Painted Argent w/ machined face. After all it is a find and we'll see if it fits. Once and for all we'll finally have something on the van other than these crappy steel wheels and plastic hub caps..

Other than the color of the wheel.. could this be the future of our Van?. Now the question is.. do we get them powder coated Magnesium Blue as we had intended.. or something different..
Old 24-09-2015, 09:00 PM
dojj

can you not simply get a second hand set of mondeo rims to see if they will fit for clearance issues etc?

in the uk i've seen a set, with tyres, in 7.5x18 going for as little as £150
Old 25-09-2015, 06:06 PM
LostInTransit
Virgin

Great suggestion dojj and one we've considered via FordPartsUK.com. However there is a flaw in your suggestion.. The second hand Mondeo wheels are only made in UK.. I live in the US.. which again means that the UK style/type wheel is not DOT Approved.. or I would have way more selections to choose from.. wheels and tires matter of fact.. Speaking of tires.. We're aiming for "All weather" tires and again.. these are only being made in UK.. yet USA is slowing introducing these tires but still list them as all season.. It's beginning to look as if the van is taking on a stance/overlander (combination of the two worlds) Just playing it by ear and hope for the best.

Add a darkened area above the sliding doors/rear quarter panel & small darkened area above the grille.. (Flat Black/Stealth/Charcoal/Carbon Fiber)