Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Sierra Steering arms compatability

Search this Thread

Old 13-01-2017, 09:53 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts
Default Sierra Steering arms compatability

Does anyone know if any of the rest of the ford range will have shorter steering arms that can be fitted to the Sierra power steering rack?

My 205 is a narrower chassis than the Cossie and therefore the track arms out of the rack are pushing the track out to wide even when wound right in, before I try and cut a longer thread and remove some of the end metal I wondered if any of the other range of models or range of other cars will fit and have a narrower track to begin with?

Thanks in advance
Old 16-01-2017, 11:00 AM
Marc sierra
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 157 Likes on 143 Posts

I would assume that the steering arms have the same length as the TCAs, because if they are a different length you will get bumpsteer. But you're using the standard 4x4 subframe, right? In that case how can the track be smaller? Or are the billet TCAs shorter than standard TCAs?
Old 16-01-2017, 11:13 AM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

4x4 are around 10 mm linger than 2wd,unsure about the rest.
Old 16-01-2017, 11:48 AM
Marc sierra
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 157 Likes on 143 Posts

Only XR4x4 track rod ends are about 10 mm longer than the others, they are in fact the same as Granada mk3 TREs. Cosworth 4x4 are the same as all other Sierra TREs.
Old 16-01-2017, 02:11 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

Ggr list 4x4 cos and 2wd cos tres and the lengths,there is 10mm difference between them,4x4 being longer.
Old 16-01-2017, 03:13 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Thanks all.

I think an XR4x4 might have been used for a lot of the bits on my car as a few things I have replaced such as rear hubs and all the brakes have been XR4x4.

I believe the adjustable TCA's locate in a different place and being that they are totally adjustable then they will need the bump steer checking.

I expect that now I have the billet steering arms and the new spherical track rod ends the difference was being exacerbated. I noticed that the MK ball joints are longer than the ford ones. I think that some of my problems may have been Cos 4x4 steering rack used with XR hubs perhaps and the TCA's not liking the XR hubs.

I am having chassis consultant who was referred by Stuart Day (Fulla) to come over and go through the car completely for the geo so we will check the bump steer / ackerman and cornerweights etc...but he wants me to get the 6 degree beam in there first and get the ride height to where I want it and then try some softer springs before he does the setup.

He was going to come before but he said he would be costing me a lot of money for him to do the tracking and faff around which would be a waste so I need to sort those things first.

Appreciate all your help and may well order some of the shorter ones.

I have brought the camber down from the 3 neg that we got stuck at as ran out of room on the tracking and it is now close to 1.5 neg (just waiting for my camber / castor gauge to arrive - ordered a laser tracking gauge too)

The tracking is now back to pretty much neutral so need to add in 2 degrees but already the car drives so much better. I ran it round a big (private obviously) roundabout where the drifters meet at night and it felt very good, I could steer it on the throttle and brakes and the break-away felt smooth. The front end is very direct.

I still need to fiddle with the bladed ARB but will need to fit the extensions that MK is making me first.