Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Ka battery reading zero on multimeter

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 04:55 PM
fjord
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ka battery reading zero on multimeter

Hi all. Relatively newly purchased 2003 Ford Ka - was driving fine last week, has sat in the car park for three weeks, and this evening it refused to turn on. No whine, no ticking, no struggling to start - nothing. No interior lights either.

I tested the battery with my multimeter, and I was pretty shocked to see literally nothing being read. I tested the multimeter with a 1.5v AA battery, and that read perfectly. Battery health indicator is red on the Ka battery, so obviously it needs replacing.

The mystery is what could have done this? Could a ghost discharge literally drain every last drop of power? I'm assuming if it's an alternator problem there would be some charge left, as it would stop turning the engine on before it goes below 12v.

The weather is cold round these parts right now, but I've never seen anything like this when it comes to a dead battery.

Any help appreciated!

Cheers
Old 03-12-2016, 04:57 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

Probably a dead cell on the battery, unless something on the vehicle has drained it so low.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:04 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

I've never seen a battery at 0v, that's pretty good going! I have heard the radios can go faulty and cause a drain.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:54 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Any battery over 5 yrs old is likely to fail, especially in the cold.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:28 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Left the Merc in the garage for two weeks. Yesterday the Battery completely dead, charged it for one hours no better. Then charged it overnight & away she went. The cold will kill old Batteries if you leave them.