Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

mk1 fiesta blacktop to st170 swap

Search this Thread

Old 30-11-2016, 08:03 AM
matt311
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mk1 fiesta blacktop to st170 swap

I currently have a mk1 fiesta running a 5 speed box and 1.8 blacktop zetec. I am considering swapping it for an st170 as I believe that they are the same size and shape and it should be a straight swap.

I am currently running an rs1800 EFI inlet and megasquirt ECU on the blacktop. Would I be able to swap these onto the st170 engine?
thanks
Matt
Old 30-11-2016, 09:39 AM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

I have a mate running a 170 engine with powerworx supercharger in a mk1 fezza so I know it can be done
Old 30-11-2016, 10:53 AM
big_wasa
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 126 Likes on 123 Posts

The inlet ports are around 10mm higher on the st so it will be a mismatch but it would physically bolt on.

You're Ms won't controle the vvt properly either. You can use the Ms to switch it on/off on a vtec fashion but it doesn't work great on the st. You could delete the vvt and you could buy a stand alone controller.

You could run it on the oem st ecu. All depends on expectations, ability and budget.
Old 30-11-2016, 07:39 PM
matt311
Virgin

Originally Posted by big_wasa
The inlet ports are around 10mm higher on the st so it will be a mismatch but it would physically bolt on.

You're Ms won't controle the vvt properly either. You can use the Ms to switch it on/off on a vtec fashion but it doesn't work great on the st. You could delete the vvt and you could buy a stand alone controller.

You could run it on the oem st ecu. All depends on expectations, ability and budget.
Okay so I would need an st170 manifold to fit the inlet properly, does it take much to delete the vvt? Quite a few people recommend just using the engine without vvt when is running it on throttle bodies so I think I would do that and keep using my Ms ecu
Thanks
Old 01-12-2016, 07:51 AM
matt311
Virgin

Originally Posted by big_wasa

okay so I will need an st170 manifold for throttle bodies.
Does it take much to delete the vvt and use my Ms ecu? I have been told by several people that if im running it on fireblade 42mm throttle bodies in my light car the vvt may not be worth messing about with, tempted to just use the engine without?
Old 02-12-2016, 08:49 PM
matt311
Virgin

okay so I need an st170 specific manifold, probably go on the throttle bodies route.
Ive seen alot of people speak of not using the VVT and just running the engine on a stand alone ECU like my Ms with throttle bodies. Is it much hassle to delete the VVT?
thanks for your help
Matt
Old 04-12-2016, 07:47 PM
big_wasa
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 126 Likes on 123 Posts

Yes lot and lots of people run the vvt from a stand alone such as Ms. But it' doesnt work as intended.

I know of one done on a high end Dta but it's a lot of extra mapping.

There is more power to be had by controlling it properly or deleting it and running the timing to a specific power band.

Power vs money......