Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

24V Sierra conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 09:45 PM
Robmatheson
Oxygen Thief

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 24V Sierra conversion questions

Hi aye, I've got a couple of questions regarding putting a 24v into my sierra xr4i. I've searched around the web and a lot of answers suggest going to ford power. I've gone there and a lot of the posts and threads on there are full of dead links and broken image tags, not to mention the forum is almost a ghost town and I'm not finding clear answers to what I'm looking for, so I'll ask here as a few folk have recently and are currently building 24v sierras.

Fyi The 24v engine/loom I have has come from a previously converted xr4x4 which i broke.

Q1. For running no power steering how are people mounting their alternators ? Using the original bracket it shared with the pas pump or using an adjustable tensioner of sorts?

Q2 Vectra injectors. I've seen that they're a common addition on most 24vs. What benefits do they give? Are they a worthwhile upgrade?

Q3 Im going to get grief for this... I'm going to run the standard type 9 box on my 24v. What clutch are type 9 24v people using and what is the spigot bearing needed for the flywheel?

Q4 I'll be putting the rwd steel sump and pickup pipe of the xr4i on the 24v. I see that there's an oil return pipe going from each head down into each side of the sump. The rwd xr4i sump doesn't have connections for these, how are people getting around this? Will I need to source a 24v sump?

Q5 My 24v engine has an oil filter cooler fitted. Can this be removed or is it better to keep it?

Q6 Is a 2.8 sump gasket the same as a 24v's?

Q7 When refitting rocker covers what's the recommended sealant to use? (If any!)

Q8 Wiring. What's the crack with wiring the 24v loom into my xr4i? Like I said, my 24v engine and loom came from a converted xr4x4 which was neatly wired in with 2 big plastic block connectors connecting the 24v loom into the Sierra loom. I've got the loom laid out on the garage floor and want to know which wires do what, are needed for my car and go where.

That's all I can think of right now, I'll no doubt think of more later.

Last edited by Robmatheson; 05-11-2016 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:16 AM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

Wish I could help more but the only answer I have is you need a spigot bearing for a v6 xr 4x4 but if your engine has been mated to a manual box this will be fitted.
I'd use the standard clutch,the 1 I built years ago had a standard clutch and it coped no bother.
Wiring was a pain but if it's the earlier non pats loom it's easier to wire in.
Dojj or fitz at top boss performance will be the people I'd ask.
The following users liked this post:
Robmatheson (06-11-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 12:37 PM
Robmatheson
Oxygen Thief

Originally Posted by 155lee
Wish I could help more but the only answer I have is you need a spigot bearing for a v6 xr 4x4 but if your engine has been mated to a manual box this will be fitted.
I'd use the standard clutch,the 1 I built years ago had a standard clutch and it coped no bother.
Wiring was a pain but if it's the earlier non pats loom it's easier to wire in.
Dojj or fitz at top boss performance will be the people I'd ask.
Cheers Lee, standard clutch it is. Not to sound daft but where is the spigot bearing located exactly?
Old 06-11-2016, 12:57 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

In the very inside of the part of the crank the flywheel bolts to.
The very end of the main shaft of the gearbox locates in the spigot bearing.
Look through the center of the clutch and you should see it.
Robmatheson (06-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 12:30 PM
Marc sierra
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 157 Likes on 143 Posts

Q1. For running no power steering how are people mounting their alternators ? Using the original bracket it shared with the pas pump or using an adjustable tensioner of sorts?

- Don't know, I run powersteering on mine and I couldn't think of any reason to not run power steering.

Q2 Vectra injectors. I've seen that they're a common addition on most 24vs. What benefits do they give? Are they a worthwhile upgrade?

- The Vectra injectors have slightly higher flow and better spray pattern compared to the standard injectors. On normal cruise the ECU will correct via the HEGO sensors, but full throttle it should give a little more fuel. Don't know if it actually makes a difference though.

Q3 Im going to get grief for this... I'm going to run the standard type 9 box on my 24v. What clutch are type 9 24v people using and what is the spigot bearing needed for the flywheel?

- I believe the friction plates and clutch covers are actually the same for the T9 and MT75, only the release bearing is different IIRC. I think the spigot bearing is also the same. I run a standard Ford clutch kit for a 2.9 12v which works fine and is very light in operation.

Q4 I'll be putting the rwd steel sump and pickup pipe of the xr4i on the 24v. I see that there's an oil return pipe going from each head down into each side of the sump. The rwd xr4i sump doesn't have connections for these, how are people getting around this? Will I need to source a 24v sump?

- On the 4x4 sumps people weld the pipes on the sump, but when you're going rwd I would just use a 24v sump with oil pick up pipe.

Q5 My 24v engine has an oil filter cooler fitted. Can this be removed or is it better to keep it?

- Better to keep. It keeps the oil cooler and speeds up warming the oil when the engine is cold.

Q6 Is a 2.8 sump gasket the same as a 24v's?

- Don't know.

Q7 When refitting rocker covers what's the recommended sealant to use? (If any!)

- The cam covers have rubber gaskets fitted. Replacement gaskets have never been available from Ford for the BOA, only for the BOB which don't fit the BOA. But BOA gaskets have been made aftermarket, you can attach them to the covers with sealant. But don't use sealant between the gaskets and the heads, the gaskets should seal OK. Just check if the small metal pipes around the cam cover bolts are not too long (i.e. gasket too thin, which was the case with my gaskets).

Q8 Wiring. What's the crack with wiring the 24v loom into my xr4i? Like I said, my 24v engine and loom came from a converted xr4x4 which was neatly wired in with 2 big plastic block connectors connecting the 24v loom into the Sierra loom. I've got the loom laid out on the garage floor and want to know which wires do what, are needed for my car and go where.

Difficult to say how it currently is on your loom. The first mk2 Sierra's had 2 plugs behind the dash, my 1991 Sapph has 3 plugs behind the battery. I have done the wiring for my BOA myself. A few wires are for the clocks. If I remember correctly:
- oil pressure (green/brown),
- coolant temperature (white/brown)
- revs (green)
- alternator light (blue)
- brake switch (red/black)
- switched 12V (black)
I assume there will be more wires, as on mine there are also wires for powering the fuel pump relay.
Robmatheson (14-11-2016)
Old 14-11-2016, 06:26 PM
Robmatheson
Oxygen Thief

Thanks for the detailed reply Marc, it's much appreciated. Not running powersteering as my car has a manual rack.

Wiring is where I'm stumped now. Surely someone has a guide with the amount of 24v conversions on here ?
Old 07-12-2016, 08:18 PM
Robmatheson
Oxygen Thief

Does anyone know if bob sumps are the same as boa sumps, ie do they have the 2 oil returns from the heads? Cheers
Old 16-12-2016, 07:36 AM
Marc sierra
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 157 Likes on 143 Posts

I think they should be the same. It needs the drain pipes, otherwise the oil cannot drain back to the sump.
Old 17-12-2016, 12:06 AM
tjRS500

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sent u a pm