Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

is the battery dead?

Search this Thread

Old 24-10-2016, 08:20 PM
craigfocus
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default is the battery dead?

the wifes 2010 ford ka died on her today and when ive getting home i tried to start it and it wouldnt turn over just clicked, now i put the multimetre on the battery and its saying 12.2 volts, then i jumped the car and got it running and put the multimetre on the battery again and its reading 14.4 volts, even when i turned the radio and lights on. drove it around the block and turned it off and it wouldnt start again. would you say the batterys finished? just thought id ask before i get a new battery.
Old 24-10-2016, 08:37 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Multi meters can be miss leading lol. You need a good old drop tester to put a load on it then test how many volts are in it.
And 12.2 volts is a battery in a state of discharge. If I remember right a 6 cell 12 volt battery fully charged is about 12.72 volts.

Last edited by ajamesc; 24-10-2016 at 08:45 PM.
Old 24-10-2016, 08:52 PM
craigfocus
Regular Contributor

cheers for that i thought it was i just wasnt sure, once its started everything works fine and the radio still keeps its preset, it just hasnt got the power to turn over. bite the bullet and get a new battery i think
Old 24-10-2016, 10:12 PM
The Black Count
PassionFord Regular

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Been having some problems with the battery in mine and it also died this morning so finally went to get a replacement, battery's were all they were selling today, loads of them!!
First cold snap and that's it, yours will not last the winter so get a new one now to be safe.

If possible get the alternator checked before buying the new one, you never know, been caught out before.
Old 25-10-2016, 06:45 AM
craigfocus
Regular Contributor

daft thing is I moved it so I could get my bike out of the garage and the missus went to b&q and back then an hour later its dead, never struggled to start when I moved it, its 5 year old now and the batterys the one that came with the car so I guess its run its course, plus shes using mine now and she kerbed my alloys last time