Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Ford diagnostic tool

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 07:58 PM
scillydel
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford diagnostic tool

Hi there folks, what's the best most up to date diagnostic tool that is compatible to a 2015 Ford transit mark 8? So many on the market.....
Old 11-07-2016, 08:48 PM
Doubledilbert
Virgin

I have been really pleased with a programme called Forscan from www.forscan.org. This is a free, Ford specific, programme that runs on a windows laptop with no download questions, email requests, sign-ups, etc. Helpful forum and the programmers keep adding new vehicles.
I use it with a generic ELM327 chip USB adaptor OBD2 (OBDII) but the type with a switch so it can read both types of bus (HS CAN bus and MS CAN bus). MS CAN bus is not supported by the stock ELM327. Search on ebay for something like "modified" "Elm327" "forscan" "USB". Typically £12-£18 delivered or collect from an Argos. You can add a switch yourself to a no switched version.
I don't know if the wireless type do both types of data bus as I have not tried this type.

Last edited by Doubledilbert; 11-07-2016 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:19 PM
Doubledilbert
Virgin

I have been very please with a programme called Forscan from www.forscan.org. This is a free, Ford specific, ODB2 (ODBII) diagnostics tools which runs on a Windows laptop and talks to a USB adapter. It does not require any email submissions, questions, etc. Has a helpful form and seems to get regular updates.
I use a generic ELM327 ODBII adapter but make sure you get the modified type with a switch as there are two types of bus (HS CAN bus and MS CAN bus). MS CAN bus is not supported by the stock ELM327.
There
Old 11-07-2016, 09:39 PM
Doubledilbert
Virgin

I have been very pleased with a programme called Forscan from www.forscan.org. This is a free, Ford (and related Mazda) specific USB OBD2 (OBDII) diagnostics programme that runs on a windows laptop. There is a helpful forum and the programmers (Russian but write brilliant English) seem to have regular updates and new models. I think it can undertake PATS programming.

I use it with a generic ELM327 USB adapter that is modified with a switch to allow the two different types of info bus (HS CAN bus and MS CAN bus) to be read. MS CAN bus is not supported by the stock ELM327. The modified type are for sale on eBay for £12 to £18 including delivery or collection from Argos. Search on "ELM327" "modified" "USB" "forscan". I would suggest somebody with UK stock.

There is a iphone (£4) and android (£?) lite version available that I guess work with the wireless type ELM327 modules and have a more limited functionality. I have not tried a wireless module.