Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

1.6 TDCI 07 intermittent 'engine system fault'

Old 19-03-2015, 09:16 AM
StephK2015
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 1.6 TDCI 07 intermittent 'engine system fault'

Hi all, newbie here.
Apologies in advance for the long post!

A few weeks back I pulled away abit too quickly from a junction and my engine light came on - this has never happened.
Got it home fine and checked the codes with a reader and got 2 codes relating to DPF. (Cars done 85K)
Since then car has nearly always gone into limp mode with message 'engine system fault'
Took it to a local garage who plugged it in and got soot accumulation code & a couple of others relating to DPF.
I was advised to remove or replace the DPF so I had it removed & remapped however on driving it away from the garage who carried out the work the message came up again.
I took it back, they plugged it in & it's now showing a powertrain fault which they tell me is glow plug related?
I'm so lost at the mo with everything.
Nearly every mechanic I've spoken to has said they feel the remap may be the issue, another bitched about where I'd taken it and said I'll end up selling the car (both comments not helpful) & others have said they doubt it's the glow plugs.......
On driving it it drives fine from cold for a few miles then the red light & message appears. If I turn it off then on again it drives fine, sometimes the message not coming on again, other times it comes on when the engines up to temp??
I assumed once the glow plugs are no longer being used it wouldn't affect the car once up to temp?
Sorry for my incredibly long post! I'm pretty well known to waffle......
Car is booked in Monday to have the glow plugs replaced however a friend of mine wants to plug it in to his kit Sat to check the codes for himself.
Does anyone have any advice relating to this?
I've had no other issues with the car since I've had it - Nov 2013.
When the message appears I get no other lights come on. Just the red light to the right of the message window?

Thanks to anyone who can offer any help with this.

Steph.
Old 19-03-2015, 09:29 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

The car does use it's glowplugs more than just on initial fireup. They will come on when combustion temperatures are low when idling or driving at low rpm, this is to get a better burn of diesel, to lower emissions etc.

If the glow plug issue came up immediately after being remapped, I would say you have a mapping issue. Who did the DPF removal / remap? Somewhere reputable?
Old 19-03-2015, 09:33 AM
StephK2015
Virgin

Thanks RichieST.
It was a company in Ipswich. I spoke to a few mobile removers who quoted close to £700. Where I took it charged me £250 and assured me the DPF was removed (filter) and the car remapped. They mentioned the powertrain fault wouldn't of shown whilst removing the DPF as they weren't looking for other faults?........
Old 19-03-2015, 09:40 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

£250 for a full dpf removal, fitting of replacement exhaust and remapping the ECU seems bloody cheap. Sounds like they may have uploaded a generic map and not one specifically tailored to your car.
Old 19-03-2015, 09:41 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Oh and you are aware that it will now fail an MOT, now the DPF has been removed?
Old 19-03-2015, 11:04 AM
StephK2015
Virgin

Surely not as the DPF outter is still there. They've only removed the inner part?