Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

2009 1.8 TDCi - BCM needs coding???

Old 05-03-2015, 01:38 AM
W4SIM
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 1.8 TDCi - BCM needs coding???

Hello all

This is a problem on my mates Focus that no one so far seems to be able to resolve.

When he initially starts the car up it comes up with the engine management light ON and the traction light ON aswell, at this stage the car is in a kind of a limp mide with no real power coming through. To resolve this he has to switch the car back off for a couple of seconds and then restart it again, at which point the engine management light goes off and the power comes back on, although the traction light is always on.

Took it to a couple of local garages with no joy, then took it to 3 seperate dealers and despite a couple of fault codes even they couldnt figure it out!!!!

As a last straw i took it to a mate of mine who deals mainly in Mercedes tuning but i thought he might be able to figure something out. About an hour later he told me the car has been remapped at some point and during this time they may have started the car too soon and its lost it BCM code. (Body Control Module code).

Apparently the only way to put the code back on is with a Ford machine, not one of these Snap-On machines etc etc.

Had a look at the sheet which Ford gave with the fault codes on it and sure it enough one of the fault codes is "BCM lost coding". Instead Ford looked at the traction light fault and told him there was a problem with his wheels, the wheels were on his car before this problem started.

Anyways, just wondering if anyone else can put the code back on the BCM apart from the dealers as they dont really know what to do, and how to do it. My mate who diagnosed the problem has said it only takes 10-15 mins but you have to tell Ford what to otherwise the technicians are a bit lost on this, which seems to be about right.

Thanks