Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Fiesta St Cutting Out

Search this Thread

Old 30-12-2014, 05:56 PM
2413martinb
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiesta St Cutting Out

New to this site, but if buy this car will be here more often so Hi all!

My mate has a fiesta St 04 plate
Tempted to buy the car off hi but it has a running problem where if you stop the car, or even dump the clutch the car will cut out.
It will do it constantly when it is cold b it after driving it about 20/30 miles it wasn't cutting out the revs would just drop really low then go back up to idle.

The car has had quite a lot of engine work, high lift cam, mondeo St inlet manifold ect all done by site tech.

I've brought the car into th garage to take a look at it tonight, I was going to take the idle control valve off and clean it but then after some research realised it doesn't have one.

It doesn't sound like it has an air leak but haven't tried spraying anything around the pipes..

Was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions where to start or if anyone has had this problem before.

Thanks for help in advance
Old 30-12-2014, 07:27 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Has it had any ECU remapping?
Old 30-12-2014, 07:59 PM
chris cdti
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine would play up when the throttle body was a nit dirty as from memory I'm sure the ecu adjusts the position of the throttle body to adjust the idle instead of having am idle speed control.valve.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:01 PM
taz9372
Virgin

I've got the same issue mate just trying to work it out myself. mines a little 1.4 fiesta lx 2002 zetec engine. when im driving theres no problem but the moment I put the clut down or go into neutral then the revs drop and car stalls most of the time. Ive tried cleaning out the throttle body, map sensor and changed the crankcase breather valve and hose but still got the same problem. if I pull the breather valve out from behind the manifold and leave the pipe next to the map sensor connected without the valve it idles and revs fine (a little high obv but as fine) going into garage Monday so will keep ya posted
Old 04-01-2015, 11:42 PM
2413martinb
Virgin

Sorry for late reply. Been heavy new year ha.
Had a look round the car couldn't see an air leak.
Took a look at throttle body but it wasn't really dirty. Didn't clean it though.
Only faults stored was about the lambda sensor and something about abs pump that never came back.
Yeah would be good to hear what garage says.

I just wonder if it has something to do with the mapping gone wrong. It's been like that sidne my mate bought it, God knows why he bought the car while was doing that.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:43 PM
2413martinb
Virgin

And yeah it has remap from sitech
Old 06-01-2015, 10:54 PM
taz9372
Virgin

Originally Posted by taz9372
I've got the same issue mate just trying to work it out myself. mines a little 1.4 fiesta lx 2002 zetec engine. when im driving theres no problem but the moment I put the clut down or go into neutral then the revs drop and car stalls most of the time. Ive tried cleaning out the throttle body, map sensor and changed the crankcase breather valve and hose but still got the same problem. if I pull the breather valve out from behind the manifold and leave the pipe next to the map sensor connected without the valve it idles and revs fine (a little high obv but as fine) going into garage Monday so will keep ya posted

well took it in the garage and 6 hours later I get the phone call, they cant find the problem and no error codes come up on diagnostic, they tell me all they could do is start changing parts which would be costly, so off to try another garage tomorrow
Old 07-01-2015, 07:26 AM
oldford

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Do you remember the number of the fault code about the Oxygen (Lambda) sensor?
Old 08-01-2015, 10:27 AM
taz9372
Virgin

well took it in the garage and 6 hours later I get the phone call, they cant find the problem and no error codes come up on diagnostic, they tell me all they could do is start changing parts which would be costly, so off to try another garage tomorrow

ok so this garage knew what they were doing "RIVERSIDE RACING" had it for a few hours called me up said it was in need of re-programming that done the issue is gone. Although I was getting used to left foot breaking so I could keep the revs up lol, hope this is of some use.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:52 PM
chris cdti

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Lee Moody from RsR is an ex ford tech.....
Old 08-01-2015, 07:02 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I had these exact symptoms, on a different engine admittidly, but a simple clean with carb and choke cleaner of the throttle body whilst manually holding the throttle open was all that was required to sort it. Being drive by wire it may be more tricky to get the throttle to hold wide open whilst you do the clean.
Old 24-03-2015, 11:03 PM
BillyskyeST
Virgin

Hi I now own the car that Martinb was posting about still having the cutting out problem I've changed the throttle body the revs are more steady but still cutting out when cold, it's bringing up codes p1132,p2110, p0141 it has a milltek decat so post cat 02 sensor is flashing p0141, just trying to resolve the issue may mapping issue not sure.
Old 27-03-2015, 12:00 AM
BillyskyeST
Virgin

ok so this garage knew what they were doing "RIVERSIDE RACING" had it for a few hours called me up said it was in need of re-programming that done the issue is gone. Although I was getting used to left foot breaking so I could keep the revs up lol, hope this is of some use.
Hi what kind of reprogramming did u get and was it a dealer? How did u get it sounds identical to my problem but it's on a fiesta st. Thanks
Old 27-03-2015, 11:12 AM
2413martinb
Virgin

Think it's when u said the ecu off to get re programmed. But then it would need to get mapped again. I duno if queeny would be able to save the map for u and put it back on or something.