Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

focus tdci KKDA timing issue

Old 28-08-2014, 03:18 PM
B16 Will
its all about the 5 pot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default focus tdci KKDA timing issue

Hey guys

got a mates 2009 Focus 1.8 tdci here, main timing belt has stripped.
Never knew these run a wet belt !! Thought they were a chain engine.
Anyway, im having trouble resetting the timing.
I know the crank has a locking tool, and the cam has cut out in the end, but do i need to set up the injector pump?
The injectors are obviously electronice but i can see marks/cut outs on the pulley itself but nowhere to time to.

Any help greatly apreciated !!
Old 28-08-2014, 04:30 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

Yeh, later ones have the wet belt set up, first time I have heard of one failing.

TDCI pumps don't need to be timed.

But you should crack off the cam pulley bolt 5 turns and pull the cam gear off the cam so it spins on the cam, so when you tension the belt it gets the tension in the right place.

Need a holding tool to lock the cam pulley, dont undo the bolt with the locking bar in the cam or you can snap it.

Last edited by GVK.; 28-08-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 28-08-2014, 04:43 PM
B16 Will
its all about the 5 pot

Thanks a million mate that's all I need.
I've heard of others doing that, scrapping the lot.
I spoke to ford when ordering the parts, they could only tell me that it's not an interval replaced item ( yet it's stripped !! ) and they seem confident it's a non interference engine. Still, I'll get it timed up & check the compression.
Thanks again mate.
Old 28-08-2014, 05:02 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

No probs. Well in the old days of the 1.8d with 2 'dry belts', if the belt snapped/idler failed, the camshaft was usually in 3 bits and in some cases the cam bearing caps snapped, broken valve guides etc!! Scrap head!

As said, not seen one of the later wet belts set up with any problems. Yet!
Old 28-08-2014, 06:05 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

ive seen two of these wet belts stripped on connects
Old 28-08-2014, 06:27 PM
MMC
Virgin

The genuine ford timing belt kits come with fitting instructions,crankshaft requires a special pin that locates in the front of the block just above the air con pump,quite fiddly to get at,a 10mm stud/plug needs to be removed,then the pin threaded into the block and the crankshaft rotated clockwise until it hits the pin,this is TDC,bottom pulley is free running and has no key-way,camshaft timing needs the cam cover to be removed and a tool locates the shaft at the end of the shaft.
But beware have seen the teeth sheer off quite a few of these wet belts and every time its 8 bent valves,and 4 badly damaged pistons,the valve takes a big chunk off the combustion chamber in the piston
Old 28-08-2014, 06:31 PM
chris cdti
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So it still times up like the old endura d engine.
I didn't know that they swapped the chain to a wet belt.
Old 28-08-2014, 06:54 PM
JOHNDQ
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chris cdti
So it still times up like the old endura d engine.
I didn't know that they swapped the chain to a wet belt.
Yep same crank pin and the rubbish web it goes up against as the first ones only trouble is if you want to use the pin now you need to take few bits off to get to it thats why no one uses it when just doing the cam belt any more
Old 28-08-2014, 07:42 PM
B16 Will
its all about the 5 pot

I remember the old 1.8d that smashed the cams, upright valves pushed the load straight onto the cam!!
I hope this won't want the head off !! I'm more annoyed that there's no info on autodata or little online re the wet belt. The belt itself has NO interval yet it's a belt. It's in terrible order, hence stripping the teeth.

Oh, and don't get me started on free wheeling pulleys !! Why can't manufactures fit key ways ?? I tried to buy an 'any car' timing tool set from snap on...£1500 + vat !! I'll have 2 sets please...
Old 28-08-2014, 08:15 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ah so these are starting to have issues.. not suprised!

I look forward to seeing them.. not!!
Old 28-08-2014, 09:50 PM
paulmex
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MMC
The genuine ford timing belt kits come with fitting instructions,crankshaft requires a special pin that locates in the front of the block just above the air con pump,quite fiddly to get at,a 10mm stud/plug needs to be removed,then the pin threaded into the block and the crankshaft rotated clockwise until it hits the pin,this is TDC,bottom pulley is free running and has no key-way,camshaft timing needs the cam cover to be removed and a tool locates the shaft at the end of the shaft.
But beware have seen the teeth sheer off quite a few of these wet belts and every time its 8 bent valves,and 4 badly damaged pistons,the valve takes a big chunk off the combustion chamber in the piston
Just done one in a galaxy and like you say 8 valves bent and the pistons were so badly damaged we had to rebuild the whole motor
A local vauxhall dealer had done the cam belt but didn't know about the other wet belt , it only had 110k on it when it let go so should have been ok till 125k change ?
Old 28-08-2014, 10:26 PM
MMC
Virgin

Originally Posted by paulmex
Just done one in a galaxy and like you say 8 valves bent and the pistons were so badly damaged we had to rebuild the whole motor
A local vauxhall dealer had done the cam belt but didn't know about the other wet belt , it only had 110k on it when it let go so should have been ok till 125k change ?
Bet that has happened to a lot of people,the chain worked perfect,why change it to a crappy wet belt,have changed these 20-30,000 miles before they were due and they still looked like they were going to fall apart,cracked and perished looking,really bad design IMO,the damage they do is pretty bad,fella from ford that delivers our parts said they've been know to also bend rods but never personally seen it
They can also be changed back to chain set up using ford parts
Old 28-08-2014, 10:52 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

the two i have done never made it to 100k! and they both bent valves
Old 29-08-2014, 06:45 AM
B16 Will
its all about the 5 pot

Err this one has 60k. 59 reg
Old 14-09-2014, 07:08 PM
B16 Will
its all about the 5 pot

Just to thank those who offered advise.
6 bent valves and 2 heavily damaged pistons. All rebuilt and running loverly.
I remember having a connect with a cracked piston now, and what a task it is just to get at the crank !! Cheers guys
Old 01-02-2016, 09:53 AM
notallbad1
Virgin

Originally Posted by paulmex
How do you get the crank case off?