Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

cosworth fuel pump problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 03:41 PM
boy-racer-1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cosworth fuel pump problem

got a slight problem with the fuel pump which i think is ecu related, im hoping someone on here knows the answer or has had the same problem before?

when turning the key once theres no prime, turn again no prime, then on cranking the fuel pump runs, then when started it runs continuously

i put a light on the fuel pump feed wire from the ecu and it doesnt light up on 1st or second turn of the key so theres no feed from the ecu to tell the fuel pump to prime, is this a nackered ecu or a sensor possibly causing a problem?

cheers nick
Old 10-08-2014, 05:15 PM
Piston Broke
PassionFord Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi mate been a while since i rewired one of these, the fuel pump im sure gets its feed from the dizzy for the pump onces its turning over/running, the prime like you say comes from the ECU from a trigger wire, you need to see if you have the trigger wire at fault from the ECU (chase it from the relay) or a fault with the relay itself mate hope that helps you.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:19 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

It won't illuminate seen as there is no supply!

Pin 28 is the ground for the relay, input from the CPS is required for the pump to prime, in addition, the duration of the prime can vary with temperature.

It has nothing to do with the phase sensor, this as the name suggests gives information on the 'phasing' of cylinders, used for SFI.

I am guessing it has not always done this?

Martin
Old 11-08-2014, 06:36 PM
boy-racer-1

its a new build mate, so first time its all been wired in and having problems, new fuel pump loom, standard ecu, new ahmed bayjoo engine loom, all sensors new except map sensor and yet im having problems, wiring is a massive headache for me!!! dont understand it atall
Old 11-08-2014, 06:47 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Most people do not realise that the fuel pump relay switches the earth connection, not the live.
Old 13-08-2014, 06:47 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by martysmartie
It won't illuminate seen as there is no supply!

Pin 28 is the ground for the relay, input from the CPS is required for the pump to prime, in addition, the duration of the prime can vary with temperature.

It has nothing to do with the phase sensor, this as the name suggests gives information on the 'phasing' of cylinders, used for SFI.

I am guessing it has not always done this?

Martin
I thought the CPS would only affect a pump once cranking. On ignition it should still prime?
Old 16-08-2014, 08:00 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Check the fuel pressure as we had this on my mates saph cos a few months back and he said the fuel pump won't prime but the thing was it had primed and was up to pressure and holding it so it wouldn't prime anymore. When he cranked the engine over then the pump started running. Turned out the be the immobiliser playing up :-(
Old 16-08-2014, 08:37 AM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

Just done mine on Friday......

Pin 87 off the fuel pump relay feeds the pump. Run a cable direct to the pump from here if you don't have continuity.

Double check the fuel pump cut off switch as I was on 2 hours re checking all wiring as my pump wouldn't prime and the switch was up

Saph is in the spare wheel bowl and I think the 3dr is in the kick panel
Old 21-08-2014, 05:13 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by opposite lock
I thought the CPS would only affect a pump once cranking. On ignition it should still prime?
No, it needs CPS input to prime, period.

Originally Posted by gcfcos
Check the fuel pressure as we had this on my mates saph cos a few months back and he said the fuel pump won't prime but the thing was it had primed and was up to pressure and holding it so it wouldn't prime anymore. When he cranked the engine over then the pump started running. Turned out the be the immobiliser playing up :-(
It will prime regardless of the pressure.

Originally Posted by saphcosmike
Just done mine on Friday......

Pin 87 off the fuel pump relay feeds the pump. Run a cable direct to the pump from here if you don't have continuity.

Double check the fuel pump cut off switch as I was on 2 hours re checking all wiring as my pump wouldn't prime and the switch was up

Saph is in the spare wheel bowl and I think the 3dr is in the kick panel
3DR does not have a cut out, 2WD is in the wheel well and 4x4 is behind the kick trim

Martin
Old 22-08-2014, 07:53 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

No, it needs CPS input to prime, period. It will prime regardless of the pressure. 3DR does not have a cut out, 2WD is in the wheel well and 4x4 is behind the kick trim Martin
Everyone I've worked on and owned once it gets to a certain pressure the pump just sort of clicks as it's up to pressure enough to start it. Just had this on my mates saph that wouldn't start and he thought it was the fuel pump but wasn't as it had already primed and wouldn't run anymore untill it started.
Old 23-08-2014, 09:41 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Everyone I've worked on and owned once it gets to a certain pressure the pump just sort of clicks as it's up to pressure enough to start it. Just had this on my mates saph that wouldn't start and he thought it was the fuel pump but wasn't as it had already primed and wouldn't run anymore untill it started.
The ECU has no conception of the FP, so what you are saying is impossible!

The duration of the prime can vary with temperature, none the less it will always prime.

Martin
Old 09-09-2014, 12:10 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The ECU has no conception of the FP, so what you are saying is impossible! The duration of the prime can vary with temperature, none the less it will always prime. Martin
I didn't say anything about the ECu? If the fuel systems up to pressure it isn't gonna pressurise it any more is it? Yes the fuel pump still "clicks" but obviously it is up to pressure so won't do a prolonged prime which is what people are listening out for. I'm not gonna play word games u know what I mean by saying it clicks it is trying to prime but only a split second, people listen out for a prolonged buzzing which they won't get if it's up to starting pressure. That's the confusion

Last edited by gcfcos; 09-09-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:20 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I didn't say anything about the ECu? If the fuel systems up to pressure it isn't gonna pressurise it any more is it? Yes the fuel pump still "clicks" but obviously it is up to pressure so won't do a prolonged prime which is what people are listening out for.
You didn't and neither did I, you said if it's "up to pressure it won't prime", which is incorrect, as the pressure is irrelevant, like I said.

Martin
Old 09-09-2014, 12:21 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The ECU has no conception of the FP, so what you are saying is impossible! The duration of the prime can vary with temperature, none the less it will always prime. Martin
There we are ECU in your quote. I can play word games too!
Old 09-09-2014, 12:23 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

To be fair everyone knows what I meant, people listen out for a prolonged buzzing prime I meant
Old 09-09-2014, 08:31 PM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

3DR does not have a cut out, 2WD is in the wheel well and 4x4 is behind the kick trim

Martin
Mines 4x4 and in wheel bowl

Did someone mention ECU ?

As above ecu has nothing to do with fuel pump......
Old 09-09-2014, 10:19 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by saphcosmike
Mines 4x4 and in wheel bowl

Did someone mention ECU ?

As above ecu has nothing to do with fuel pump......
Yours is an early 4x4 (YBJ)?

The ECU does actuate the fuel pump.

WRONG, which is what I was referring to, the pressure makes NO difference to the prime duration, (I think I have mentioned this ) so no nobody understood, as it's duff information!

There we are ECU in your quote. I can play word games too!
Yes as I was (trying) to educate you on your bad post, but you clearly don't understand!

Martin
Old 10-09-2014, 12:45 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yours is an early 4x4 (YBJ)? The ECU does actuate the fuel pump. WRONG, which is what I was referring to, the pressure makes NO difference to the prime duration, (I think I have mentioned this ) so no nobody understood, as it's duff information! Yes as I was (trying) to educate you on your bad post, but you clearly don't understand! Martin
I'm not very good at writing etc and just trying to help people, I know what I meant and obviously didn't write it properly so sorry to the guy who owns the car don't listen to me I don't write things down well to what I actually mean. I just meant people I've come accross expect when the fuel pump primes for there to be a prolonged buzzing like the old xr3is did, cossies I've found tend to just make a little 'click' or 'thud' noise when they prime and people don't hear it. That's what I've come accross with a few of my customers and mates anyway. Just trying to help, thanks.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:15 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'm not very good at writing etc and just trying to help people, I know what I meant and obviously didn't write it properly so sorry to the guy who owns the car don't listen to me I don't write things down well to what I actually mean. I just meant people I've come accross expect when the fuel pump primes for there to be a prolonged buzzing like the old xr3is did, cossies I've found tend to just make a little 'click' or 'thud' noise when they prime and people don't hear it. That's what I've come accross with a few of my customers and mates anyway. Just trying to help, thanks.
I appreciate that and it wasn't a criticism (as you seemed to have took it) I was merely correcting your post, the very reason we are here is because we are enthusiasts and eager to learn, as well as share our own knowledge.

FYI, in the case of the Cosworth (and probably others), the pump duration can vary with engine temperature, this is logical because a cold engine is going to need a longer duration, that one that is at running temperature

Martin
Old 10-09-2014, 05:30 PM
boy-racer-1

Thanks for all the replies, sorry I haven't replied to the thread sooner, hopefully this weekend I'll find this gremlin, I plan on taking the fuel pump loom out as it's a new one from ebay and doing some checks to see if relays etc are working, and then checking if the wire that connects to the ecu fuel pump feed on the fuel pump loom is running a permanent live or negative as I think it may be wired incorrectly, failing that I can only see it being an ecu fault, as the engine loom was newly made by Ahmed bayjoo and all labelled and I've double checked and that's all connected up and working fine as the Amal valve clicks as should
Old 10-09-2014, 11:30 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by boy-racer-1
Thanks for all the replies, sorry I haven't replied to the thread sooner, hopefully this weekend I'll find this gremlin, I plan on taking the fuel pump loom out as it's a new one from ebay and doing some checks to see if relays etc are working, and then checking if the wire that connects to the ecu fuel pump feed on the fuel pump loom is running a permanent live or negative as I think it may be wired incorrectly, failing that I can only see it being an ecu fault, as the engine loom was newly made by Ahmed bayjoo and all labelled and I've double checked and that's all connected up and working fine as the Amal valve clicks as should
The ECU is working correctly, by the fact the Amal works (pin 28, switches the ground, if the polarity was wrong, it would cause a short or possible damage)!

Martin