Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Sierra saph 2.0 dohc to cosworth yb questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 11:46 AM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sierra saph 2.0 dohc to cosworth yb questions

Hello good ford people. I have a few questions to ask.

I have a sierra cosworth replica that i love to bits. Ive removed her from dsily drive duties now ans doing some much loved tlc. During that time ive discovered that the engine needs a fair bit of money spent and i dont really want to waste the money on it as i planned to do a convertion later on, so i thought id do it now.

Firstly i know its never going to be a real cossie but i dont care. I will never sell this car so i want to do it and i have traders insurance thŕt know my plans for this car and dont mind atal.

My questions are.

Do i need to change the interior loom to enable cossie engine loom to just plug in? Or can i just plug in the cossie loom to the original loom?

Im a mechanic with my own fully equipped workshop so im more that good enough for major wiring mods but i want to find out the simplest way around getting a simple averagly powered yb running in it

Thank you jon
Old 04-05-2014, 12:35 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

when you remove the battery you will find there is a loom that goes around there or under there and into the car

somewhere along that section of loom will be either 2 or 3 8 pin multiplugs that carry all the connections to the car

it will be a start at least
Old 04-05-2014, 01:30 PM
boy-racer-1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

There's only 4 wires on a Cosworth loom that are on the same plug that need to connect to what you have in the car

12v live

12v ignition

Water temp

Tachometer

The 12v is simple enough

The ignition can't go to a wire taken off of something like your stereo aaa when the car is cranking stereo 12v wires and other items inside the car like that are earthed and you'll be podding in the wind for a long time if you don't know this, so find the correct 12v ignition wire

The starter wiring can stay the same as can your alternator, old engine loom can be cut and taped off or just left as I've done with mine

Keep your earth wire from bell housing you'll need that

Your Cosworth engine loom should have 2 relays make sure they are working or you'll run into trouble and a new fuel pump loom is more then ideal

And last piece of advice I'll give you with regards to wiring I'd don't fit wasted spark as you'll be pissing in the wind for months wondering why it doesn't work

You'll have a lot of trouble finding a second hand loom these days that actually works so your best off contacting Ahmed who can make you a brand new one that'll be reliable and he labels it all that much easier to fit
Old 04-05-2014, 05:44 PM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

Thanks for the advise guys. Thats a great help. Do you know roughly how much he would charge for a bog standard new loom?

Also would my prop fit or do i need a cossie one? Ive recently bought a completly refurbed lsd rear end with 4x4 rear brakes but i havent collected it yet so i cant see if it fits
Old 04-05-2014, 05:51 PM
boy-racer-1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by jon_ross
Thanks for the advise guys. Thats a great help. Do you know roughly how much he would charge for a bog standard new loom?

Also would my prop fit or do i need a cossie one? Ive recently bought a completly refurbed lsd rear end with 4x4 rear brakes but i havent collected it yet so i cant see if it fits
Mine was Ł470 with some custom bits, you would have to contact him to find out
Old 04-05-2014, 06:26 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

You will need a prop for the t5 box but the diff ends ate the same
Old 04-05-2014, 09:16 PM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

Ah ok that'll be for sale aswell then. Are the mt75 boxes worth much?

I think ill try and sorce a loom and just repair it if needed as is idea will cost enough anyway lol
Old 04-05-2014, 09:20 PM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by boy-racer-1
There's only 4 wires on a Cosworth loom that are on the same plug that need to connect to what you have in the car

12v live

12v ignition

Water temp

Tachometer

The 12v is simple enough

The ignition can't go to a wire taken off of something like your stereo aaa when the car is cranking stereo 12v wires and other items inside the car like that are earthed and you'll be podding in the wind for a long time if you don't know this, so find the correct 12v ignition wire

The starter wiring can stay the same as can your alternator, old engine loom can be cut and taped off or just left as I've done with mine

Keep your earth wire from bell housing you'll need that

Your Cosworth engine loom should have 2 relays make sure they are working or you'll run into trouble and a new fuel pump loom is more then ideal

And last piece of advice I'll give you with regards to wiring I'd don't fit wasted spark as you'll be pissing in the wind for months wondering why it doesn't work

You'll have a lot of trouble finding a second hand loom these days that actually works so your best off contacting Ahmed who can make you a brand new one that'll be reliable and he labels it all that much easier to fit
For got to mention. Why wouldnt wasted spark system work??