Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

transit connect issues.

Search this Thread

Old 24-02-2014, 03:16 PM
KaTurbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transit connect issues.

bit of a long winded one but any help would be much appreciated!

ive just picked up a 2004 transit connect, 1.8tdci.

story goes;
it was running fine until the head gasket went, head off and new gasket fitted but the boy that did the work had somewhere made an arse of the timing and after running for only a few minutes it flung the belt through the casing, snapped a cam and bent 6 valves. identical head was sourced, skimmed, pressure tested and refitted with another new gasket and timing belt kit but then it wouldn't start.

he was told the fuel pump would be the issue but instead of trying to find on bought a known running engine (complete with pump) and fitted that.. but it still wont start.

this is where ive picked it up.
its getting a cam/crank signal (scoped using a snapon verus), seemingly the correct fuel pressure, and for a while there were no fault codes. It doesn't seem to be getting a pulse to the injectors.

It did at one point come up with an IAT fault (after running self test, but I had the intercooler off) and codes P0251 and P1211, although after clearing these they haven't come back up.

mechanically everything is 100%, timing spot on, cam/crank in sync, ive had a clear pipe on the fuel lines and theres no air bubbles, fuel sample looks fine. I have reprogrammed the injectors back in and as far as I know the pump doesn't need to be coded on the tdci's.

ive read a few posts online about the same problem in focus' and its been the ECU, is this the main ECU or is there a separate one for the pump?

any other suggestions on where to be looking?

cheers.
Old 24-02-2014, 04:14 PM
KaTurbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got another wee look at it today, and found some strange readings on the live data (ive had to go in through generic obd as it doesn't show a lot when you actually go into the make/model)

with KOEO
map sensor reading is a negative number (volts) around -0.5
maf 0
fuel rail pressure (psi) 115.9
ambient air temp is 120C
control module voltage is 52v

when cranking;
fuel pressure 4500-5200 psi
MAP(inHg) 1806
MAF 0

still getting codes;
P0251 Injection pump fuel metering control'A' range/performance (cam/rotor/injector)
and P1211.

ive never been one for electrical issues, this just about has me beat