Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

1.6 X/Flow Cranks Slow then ok.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 06:56 PM
Geoff26
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.6 X/Flow Cranks Slow then ok.

I've had this problem with my 1.6 x/flow on my Westfield for ages and just can't solve it. When I go to start the engine after a day or two, it turns over really slow and is hard to start. Once it's been driven for a few minutes, it then turns over at a normal speed and starts fine. This happens winter or summer but worse in the winter.

I've checked everything, cleaned all the earth connections and other connections. Checked charging - recently replaced diodes etc in alternator. Replaced battery about two years ago.

I'm assuming if the starter is faulty it will either work or not work, it won't fail gradually? Are there any tests to do on the starter?

On another forum someone suggested the timing might be out and the engine is firing ahead of the starter so stopping it turning the engine. (?) I pulled off all the plug leads to check this but made no difference.

It's done about 80k miles.
Old 21-01-2014, 10:00 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

Do a current draw test using an amp clamp on the starter motor to determine if the starter is drawing to much current.

What compression ratio are you using?