Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Help Reqd - 2005 Focus - Banging noise under accelleration....

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 08:04 AM
stuntmonkee
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help Reqd - 2005 Focus - Banging noise under accelleration....

Hello all. Got a problem with my daily driver (55 plate Focus Sport 1.8 TDCI, 120k miles) I was hoping someone might have experienced before.

If I accelerate (even slightly) on a rough surface, hit a defect in the road while gathering speed or while braking over slightly rough/bumpy surface (most of the UK’s road at the moment) the car will shake the steering wheel and bang very loudly & violently from the front. It feels like the front of the car is about to fall off. If you then bake off the accelerator or brakes it will cease. It’s been like it about 6 months and if I remember it started getting worse gradually, not a sudden failure as such.

It had new wheel bearings on the front both sides last month which made no difference either way (not that I was expecting them too). I didn’t notice anything especially untoward while changing the bearings (all drop links intact etc) while doing the bearings but admit I only had a half hearted examination (it was freezing cold that day).

I’ve got to fit new discs & pads next weekend and it would be good to have an idea of where to concentrate my investigations – in my mind I’ll start by examining the bottom arms?

Any advice gratefully received, cheers
Old 10-01-2014, 08:24 AM
Rob Virgo
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Top mounts or arb mounts ??