Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Key Issues - Ford Fiesta 2001

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 08:54 AM
mobily
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Issues - Ford Fiesta 2001

Hey all

I have some serious key issues on my Ford Fiesta.

When I bought the car I was given 3 keys. Two of them are bona fide Ford black keys with a red chip in the top. One of the keys has stopped working completely and the other one will only start the engine and not open the doors/boot.

The 3rd key looks like one that has been cut from a key cutting shop and will open the passenger door and boot but will not start the engine.

I can't unlock or lock the driver door... not sure if this is because all the keys are broken or if the lock itself is dodgy.

Is there a cheap way I can get a key cut that just opens all the doors/boot? I have a key that starts the engine so that is not too much of an issue.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:08 PM
kdavie86
mk4 daft :P

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How worn down are your original ford keys? Common fault on these - best solution is new keys if locks aren't turning like they should. 99% of the time it sorts it.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:13 PM
mobily
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The keys are not that worn. When getting new keys do I need reprogramming or can I just rock up to a Timpson?
Old 10-01-2014, 02:27 PM
kdavie86
mk4 daft :P

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, they need coded. Some Timpsons do key programming now, but avoid.. They charge an absolute fortune I've heard...

Some places online can send you keys cut to copy for about a tenner each incl. postage, all you have to do is send a picture of your key blade and they send a replacement.
Then you can swap the chips over. Be careful if you do this method, they're made of glass. if you break it - it's fooked...

Another option is just to get a local auto locksmith to come out. Fords are about the cheapest and easiest to do in the biz, so you should get a deal.

He'll be able to test the keys and make sure all the chips are okay/working if any the keys you have turn the ignition on, but not start.

And if he's any good he could repair door locks/replace bits inside if it IS the locks that are at fault.
Common on Fiestas, Ka's + Courier vans... little pin inside locks rusts and doesnt drop down when the keys inserted/turned. Done a few of them...