Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

2002 Fiesta Endura-e J4J over revving and TPS dtc code

Search this Thread

Old 15-12-2013, 07:38 PM
Bobby_dw
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Fiesta Endura-e J4J over revving and TPS dtc code

Hi All,

I have a 2002 Fiesta Endura-E J4J, it started a cpl of years back with "cruise control" and idling erratically at 1500 rpm. A step on the clutch or coming to a full stop would return the idle back to 1000. Every now and then the ECU would throw the TPS code, and it used to disappear after a throttle body thorough clean.

Lately the TPS code is on all the time, the erratic revving appears once in awhile, mostly when its cold outside.

I changed the TPS, ICV, checked the Power steering pressure switch connector and it looks to be in good cond. On that note, when idling if i move the steering wheel, the idle will drop by 200 rpm almost.

I feared water ingress on the ECU at some point but these problems went on through the entire summer, so im guessing that's not it.

Overnight battery disconnects only seem to make the erratic idling worse and the tps code will come back on at the second start-up.

Any ideas? Could a faulty power steering sensor be causing all this fuss?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Many thanks.
Old 15-12-2013, 07:44 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

There used to be a modified wiring loom for the TPS on Endura-E engines.

In Europe this was for Endura-E engines up to 2001 build date, covered by TSB 95/2000

Finis code for replacement TPS loom was 1 150 138

Do you have a cable throttle, or electronic throttle body?

Could need that, or does your car have a VSS on the gearbox?

Try disconnecting that to see if the problems is cured.

May need replacement VSS.

Last edited by GVK.; 15-12-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 30-04-2014, 11:10 AM
Bobby_dw
Virgin

Thanks for the reply GVK.

I found that all vacuum hoses were deteriorated and I replaced them. That did it for the high idling, although it still idles erratically sometime. If I disconnect the battery and the computer is reset, it starts idling erratically again (although not as prominent as before) but it settles down after some driving.

Also, on deceleration it is always very jerky (most prominent in 2nd gear), this always seems to be related with the airflow and throttle.

Another issue that could be related, when accelerating with fully open throttle, a prominent tremble is felt at lower revs. Changing the spark cables slightly improved that.

The car has a cable throttle.

I will give the VSS a shot.
Old 21-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Bobby_dw
Virgin

I checked the VSS, no change and the code is still on.

In the mean time i straightened the head, changed the head gasket and overhauled the valves. In the process it was discovered that the intake manifold was cracked and water was leaking from there. That was fixed also. No other vacuum hoses were found damaged.

But the code is still on.

When i connected the VSS back on, the engine was cold. I turned it on for 30 secs until the code came on, then off and went in the engine bay to connect the vss back on. When i was in there i heard a hissing noise coming from the water tank area. I opened the water tank and of course there was no pressure.

The hissing noise went on for about 20 secs, definately from around the water tank.

I had noticed it before, but always when i was parking the car after a drive, so i assumed it was water pressure (and the car was losing water at a rapid pace), this is why i had the head checked.

However now it appears the hissing noise had never anything to do with the water.

Can any one make any sense of this?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all.