Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Focus MkII TDCi EGR fault

Old 21-11-2013, 05:25 PM
euclid
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Focus MkII TDCi EGR fault

Focus MkII 1.6 TDCi 2007 reg

EGR fault caused the car to get into limp mode. Tried the intake cleaner with EGR being removed and manually cleaned, but that didn't help. Following ECU reset, the limp mode would come back a few minutes later.

Being absolutely assured that this was caused by an EGR valve fault, I had the entire EGR valve assembly replaced with a brand new one. Since Ford OEM was out of stock decided to buy a new one from TPUK.

Unfortunately, just 1 day after the EGR replacement, limp mode kicked-in again. As per the service station the following codes are active:
- P0490 EGR control permanent
- 042F1 unknown fault code

I am totally in the dark and the service station gave up. Taking the risk to order another EGR valve (Ford OEM) would be a disaster. So far the testing/cleaning/replacement cost more than £500. I also have my doubts whether the EGR valve is to blame.

Any ideas how to do a proper troubleshooting? EGR delete and remapping is an option as well, even though I couldn't find any info on the web that such a thing has been done on the MkII Focus.
Old 21-11-2013, 05:49 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Why start another thread with the exact same questions? Take it back to where it was originally mis-diagnosed, get them to replace your original parts and get your money back, then take the car to a garage that knows what they are doing.
Old 21-11-2013, 06:02 PM
euclid
Virgin

Originally Posted by RichieST
Why start another thread with the exact same questions? Take it back to where it was originally mis-diagnosed, get them to replace your original parts and get your money back, then take the car to a garage that knows what they are doing.
Because RichieST I'm not a lawyer nor a kickboxer. Just an engineer trying to figure out what is wrong with my Focus, since no service station managed to do so. I believe this is the whole idea of having this forum. If you can help out giving your feedback on a technical matter it would be most helpful, otherwise just ignore this thread.
Old 21-11-2013, 06:03 PM
chris cdti
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Exactly!! I dont know why the OP has not taken the car back after they misdiagnosed the issue.
The Vauxhall garage where i worked had to rectify various jobs hey had after they had been misdiagnosed and the original bill refunded.
Old 21-11-2013, 06:13 PM
chris cdti
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You can also speak to Lee at RSR that are based near the Ford Garage in Speke

http://www.riverside-racing.co.uk/
Old 21-11-2013, 10:12 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by euclid
Because RichieST I'm not a lawyer nor a kickboxer. Just an engineer trying to figure out what is wrong with my Focus, since no service station managed to do so. I believe this is the whole idea of having this forum. If you can help out giving your feedback on a technical matter it would be most helpful, otherwise just ignore this thread.

On your original thread I suggested you check for loose or split hoses and any damage to wiring looms. Have you done this yet?
Old 22-11-2013, 04:51 PM
euclid
Virgin

On your original thread I suggested you check for loose or split hoses and any damage to wiring looms. Have you done this yet?
Yes of course hoses and wiring has been checked. Nothing wrong. Unfortunately since I don't have any wiring diagrams I couldn't check for continuity on the wires running from the EGR to the ECU. I don't think they have done this at the service station either...most mechanics are basically replace and see what happens!
Old 22-11-2013, 06:37 PM
euclid
Virgin

Originally Posted by euclid
Yes of course hoses and wiring has been checked. Nothing wrong. Unfortunately since I don't have any wiring diagrams I couldn't check for continuity on the wires running from the EGR to the ECU. I don't think they have done this at the service station either...most mechanics are basically replace and see what happens!
If anyone is interested, wiring diagrams for Focus MkII and MkIII:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums...mk225-and-mk3/

I have a lot of studying to do...