Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

BMW help (poss ripped of by garage)

Old 12-11-2013, 01:16 AM
rst230bhp
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW help (poss ripped of by garage)

Firstly I apologise for the long post but I am really stuck and really need help from people in the know

Vehicle is 03 BMW 318ci (N42 engine code)
My head gasket failed. Mayo on oil cap/dipstick, hoses pressurising, misfire at low revs, no hot air from heaters, white smoke

Car was given to local garage to repair at a cost of £545 including head skim

Garage 1 collected car and week and half later they called and advised car is fixed and they dropped it back. When I got home from work I took the car for a spin and temperature started to rise. I phoned the garage who collected the car and changed the thermostat charged me £150 and dropped car back but they could not get the car heaters to blow hot air and advised water pump could be faulty but not sure and it will cost £270 to replace. I asked them to return car as I had had enough of them and decided to take car to another garage to check.

Garage 2 confirmed water pump impellor had cracked and replaced at a cost of £145 tested and all okay.

I took the car for a drive and it drove spot on, reached my destination (30mins away) switched car off and restarted and car is misfiring at low revs, emission light flashing and no heat from heaters again and lots of white smoke. AA came out and advised could be an airlock or head gasket. He then tells me the coolant has lots of copper flakes in it and it looks like someone has poured in K seal or some kind of temporary head gasket sealant. This now leads me to think garage 1 has not touched the head gasket and has just poured this sealant in and charged me £545

I will be contacting garage 1 to ask them to explain the copper flakes but I really don’t know where i stand and have no more money to spend on the car.

Please help, any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:40 AM
Acidburn

yup sounds like k seal as I got stitched up by a northampton garage for the same thing.
head gasget was gone, no heat, misfire etc.

I'd be contacting them and trading standards.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:30 AM
Old ford
Regular Contributor

Get a written report done on what needs doing then compare it with what was allegedly done by the first garage then write to them with the proof and give them 7 days to reply, if there is no reply take them to the small claims court it's easy all done on line for about £80 which is added to the costs you are claiming. Make sure you send any letters to the garage by recorded delivery so you have proof of delivery and who signed for it.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:05 PM
rst230bhp

Thanks for the replies and it seems like trading standards seems the way forward

Originally Posted by Acidburn
yup sounds like k seal as I got stitched up by a northampton garage for the same thing.
head gasget was gone, no heat, misfire etc.

I'd be contacting them and trading standards.
Did you contact trading standards and what was the out come?

Old Ford - Some great advice there thanks i will be contancting trading standards tomorrow for advice

Thanks again
Old 13-11-2013, 12:22 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Send your post by registered delivery (special delivery) .
Recorded mail is not always recorded and also runs with regular mail within the system.
To make 100% sure they have signed or refused the evidence always use registered.
Old 13-11-2013, 06:25 PM
L1AM_RS
Regular Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The thing is your only going to be really sure if you whip the head off yourself and check the condition of the gasket which it a pain in the arse.

Have you had the car from new? If so, someone else could of used it as a temporary bodge in the past.

Its a tricky situation to be in with no spare cash.
Old 13-11-2013, 06:39 PM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Has it had any work done previously before the repairs by any of the garages

Overheating could of bin water pump right at the start
No heating could of bin a blocked heater matrix(copper fillings?)
Mayonnaise could be oil cooler?

These bmws are a bugger to bleed sometimes if you don't know how to

Just make sure you get all you info and facts spot on before you go down the complaint route

Also check under the rocker cover and look out for signs off the (black death) solidified oil cause by the cam feed blocking up (bad/lack of oil)