Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

help needed by mechanics renault not ford

Search this Thread

Old 21-10-2013, 06:36 PM
tonysierra4x4
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help needed by mechanics renault not ford

hopefully someone on here will be able to help me out with a slight problem. my daughters renault espace 55 reg has failed the mot on handbrake operation on near side only. it is the electronic handbrake and i will admit i have no idea on these. the foot brake works ok as does the off side handbrake. what is the likely cause of this and what do i need to replace such as cables pads or whatever. i would like to try and repair this for her as finances are tight atm for her with a young family to bring up alone. thanks for any assistance in this and it will be appreciated.
thanks all.
Old 21-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Harryh24

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

these have a motor in the middle and a cable which goes to each side, take wheel off and get someone to put hand brake on and off and check to see if it's moving the lever on the caliper or if the cable has snapped
Old 21-10-2013, 09:10 PM
tonysierra4x4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for info. just checked online and cables aren't available seperately. seems the motor and both cables need to be removed and replaced at around Ł500 for parts + vat + labour costs. i just can't believe the whole electronic handbrake assembly needs to be changed for something as simple as a broken cable. absolute daylight robbery. seems to me this is about half the value of the damned piece of french crap. i have informed my daughter i will pay for this as she will not be able to afford it and then she can sell the car and buy a ford, or anything else that isn't a renault. always complained at ford costs but atleast a handbrake cable can be bought seperately.
Old 21-10-2013, 09:23 PM
Harryh24

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

jeez! yeah that is a rip off! have a look and see first what is or isn't broken as could be the caliper siezed or maybe something as simple as cable come off. hopefully there's a cheaper fix!
Old 21-10-2013, 09:33 PM
BRIGSPORT
UNAUTHORISED DEVELOPMENTS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

French = fail!