Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Lack of torque steer

Search this Thread

Old 29-09-2013, 10:21 PM
SThree
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lack of torque steer

Hi all, I have a Focus ST3. The turbo gauge inside seems to be boosting just as it always has.
But I'm loosing power. It used to torque steer for fun but doesn't anymore. but you can also feel it. Well from my point of view knowing what the car should be doing.
It still has a working turbo, you can feel it. but the power that it should have isn't their

Changed the filters, I took that fuse out which the "internet" says resets the driving style back to factory settings.

They are no fault codes on the car either. and I never get any ecu lights or anything out of the normal.

I don't want to ask but, could I be looking at a bad turbo here?
or do you know something else I could try?
Thanks for the help!
Old 30-09-2013, 01:58 AM
rsmark86
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SThree
Hi all, I have a Focus ST3. The turbo gauge inside seems to be boosting just as it always has.
But I'm loosing power. It used to torque steer for fun but doesn't anymore. but you can also feel it. Well from my point of view knowing what the car should be doing.
It still has a working turbo, you can feel it. but the power that it should have isn't their

Changed the filters, I took that fuse out which the "internet" says resets the driving style back to factory settings.

They are no fault codes on the car either. and I never get any ecu lights or anything out of the normal.

I don't want to ask but, could I be looking at a bad turbo here?
or do you know something else I could try?
Thanks for the help!
boost leak?

also have you modified the car in anyway?, lowered, torque link, any upgrades?

on the mk2 frs if you lowered them and fitted an uprated torque link it used too reduce the axle tramp alot?

most likely its you getting used too the car so any movements or struggling for grip is second nature to you now so feels normal, go somewhere "safe" and launch it while not holding on to the steering wheel and see if it jumps all over the place (it should or pull heavy to the side on boost)

Last edited by rsmark86; 30-09-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Old 30-09-2013, 08:20 AM
Red_bull
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Boost leak it might be that its overfuelling then but you should be able to see it smoking then when power is reduced

Ignotion might be retarding you because of something?

Bad turbo can be checked. Hose of and check play in the shaft. No smoke? No damage on the turbo wheels? No running from the wheels onto the house?

It might be your turbo performing less. Going onto a different place of your compressormap causing more heat build instead of compression. Still pressure is the same but it has more heat, so in the end less engine power
Old 30-09-2013, 06:46 PM
SThree
Virgin

It hasn't been modified. every bit of it is standard. It's only done about 35k too.

It also not that I'm getting used to it, although I know what you mean. it is losing power, and I'm sure it's getting worst. the known torque steer on these cars, is the best thing I could think of to describe what I'm meaning.

There is no smoke at all really, From what I can see while driving anyway.
I've got a day off this week, I'll take the hose off the turbo and see if their is any play.

Thanks guys, I'll let you know
Old 30-09-2013, 07:27 PM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Clutch slipping? Boost pipe collapsing?