Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec Automatic - Speedo Issue

Search this Thread

Old 21-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Smithlaaa
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec Automatic - Speedo Issue

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec Automatic (2002 / Petrol)

I have been experiencing this issue with my Focus for the last few months and it's now driving me insane, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Firstly, the car drives well without any real noticeable issues at all when driving but the speedo needle only seems to increase / decrease in blocks of around 10 MPH so I never really know the true speed that I'm doing! I have noticed though that when putting car into park gear (automatic) the engine power seems to drop considerably for a second and then everything is back to normal, it's almost as if it's about to stall but it never has stalled and I don't experience any power issues when actually driving the car.

I've done a little bit of my own research into the issue and I seem to be drawn towards possible vehicle speed sensor as I've read numerous posts with the same symptoms but a lot also have worse symptoms such as complete power loss, odometer reading loss etc. When requesting a quote for vehicle speed sensor, I received a quote for the following part number located here - http://www.autopartoo.com/oem/ford/4826701.html

Any help or pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Craig
Old 23-08-2013, 08:09 PM
cabriolet
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah speed sensor best of luck fella bastard to change tend to break off it will get worse then you will get limp mode intermittantly
Old 23-08-2013, 08:43 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

Are the automatics the same speed sensor as manual?
Old 24-08-2013, 07:54 AM
Smithlaaa
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers for the in put both, much appreciated.

My understanding is that speed sensor for manual and automatic were very different, the part recommended to me above is referred to as a crankshaft sensor but when searching for manual transmission the parts I get back look different, also much cheaper than the automatic.

Gonna get some advice from Ford mechanic but in the meantime but if anyone has experienced this issue or can point me in right direction then great.

Cheers lads