Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Air conditioning blew up

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 03:09 PM
gillmather
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air conditioning blew up

Hi I have an E reg ford focus estate and for a while there has been a rattling noise like a piece of plastic or leaf is stuck in the airconditioning when I swithed it on. The garage say they cant hear anything and it seems fine but yesterday there was a loud bang and the airconditioning fan stopped working - you can still hear the motor but the air isnt coming out of the vents.
I looked on line and it seems there can be a problem with the wire shorting and causing the fuse to blow so I took it to my local garage but they just said it was probably the fan and it would cost more to fix than the car is worth.
I need to know can I demist the windows or are they on the same vent supply system and has anyone got a pic of the airconditioner and the wires so I can have a a look myself longer than the 10 seconds the garage took to look at it.or even better does anyone know of a garage that isnt scared to look at air conditioning and is reasonably priced - kind regards Gill
Old 10-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Sonic Boom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

An E reg Ford Focus???
The fan unit looks like cylindrical tube with blades and can break off from the shaft of the motor this wouldn't be a very expesive fix i'd imagine or course getting to it might be very time consuming hence a huge labour charge.
Hard to tell without looking at it to be fair.
Rich
Old 11-07-2013, 07:37 PM
slammedorion
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 236 Likes on 210 Posts

Heater resistors probably blown due to the fan motor seizing up...
Which is due to your scuttle panel not fitting securely across your windscreen...
You'll want a new seal, 2nd hand motor off eBay etc, and a new resistor, there less than £30 from ford.
Just drop the glove box out and you'll see all...