Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Tdci 1.8 turbo flutter from cold

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Alexmuk
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tdci 1.8 turbo flutter from cold

Hi guys,

From cold I noticed my 1.8tdci makes a pidgeon noise, like a flutter when changing gears for around 5 mins from cold start, it's only slight, I notice it with the radio off.

Is this a normal attribute ? The car has had regular oil changes, and is actually semi clean since I have had two oil changes within about 500 miles just to be sure.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:20 AM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

My '08 plate 1.8TDCi Focus does this as well mate, so assume it must be a characteristic of the engines - I did wonder this myself so good shout asking !
Old 08-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Alexmuk
Virgin

Thanks for the reply, what's your mileage btw. Either it's normal or our turbos are gonna fail! I got 52k on mine.

Since my ownership, I let it run for 30 seconds on cold startup and I also let it cool down when i come to a stop for about a minute, something I know the previous owner (my stepmum) didn't do, hope doing this and regular oil changes will be enough to keep it in good condition also.

After extensive googling, I noticed some people mentioning software updates to help with this, mine was updated last week so I can rule that out.

Does anyone mechanically minded have an explanation of WHY are cars do this ? Im one of those "but whyyyyy" people lol
Old 13-05-2013, 06:56 AM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

40k on mine mate.

I always let mine idle from cold for about 2 minutes before moving off, you should do that with any engine as 70% of wear occurs in the first two minutes after start up. Let the engine get oil all around so everything is lubed before putting it under any load.
Old 13-05-2013, 07:05 AM
Alexmuk
Virgin

And yours still does it when setting off initially ? Must be normal then I guess, the ambient temperature isn't particularly cold either.