Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

HELP ford focus mk1 disc conversion from drums help

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 11:14 AM
jason3249
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HELP ford focus mk1 disc conversion from drums help

Hi all I'm new to this forum I'm Jay and I live in worthing...

Iv got a Ford focus mk1 it's on a 01 plate but it's running drums..

Iv brought this but didnt no what i was getting my self in to

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1609707824...d=449299212474

He's saying it's all there to convert from drums to discs..

But just abit worried on the brake lines will I have to change them or does the brake hoses from the kit fit on my brake lines...

Iv been looking all over the net but cant find any thing to do with the brake lines do them brake hoses just fit on to my brake lines or do i need to get new brake lines from a rear disk car hope not ..

So it goes to the caliper but where does the other end go

I remove the hard metal line what all of it or does it come out in peices or does a peice undo from the back then i can fit the new hoses from the kit to where iv took the metal peice out..

So i will be left with 3 quarters of a brake line till i fit the new hoses.

I mite Sound dum but cant work it out i just dont get where the brake hose from the kit goes i no one end goes in to the caliper but what about the other end..

Thanks all...

Last edited by jason3249; 10-02-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:25 PM
jason3249

Any info/help out there......

Last edited by jason3249; 10-02-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:53 AM
jason3249

I take it no one knows gr8 forum poooo lol
Old 11-02-2013, 11:15 AM
2wdsaph ben
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try reposting in the ford focus bit mate. Doubt many people look in this section. Once you take the wheels and drums off sure it will become obvious. I'm in middle of doin my brakes, didn't have a clue at 1st but it all soon makes sense
Old 11-02-2013, 01:06 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

You are referring to the 'flexi hoses', this connects onto the solid brake line, you best off fitting 'braided hoses' if you can though.

You will also need a different handbrake cable (haven't looked at above link) so it may have one.

Martin
Old 15-02-2013, 08:10 PM
minder
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you aint got ABS which i don't think you will have (as your car got drums on the rear)when you fit the rear brakes and you go to stop you will find your self facing the wrong way round as they will lock up on you so you need to fit a bisers valve for all the brakes to work together
Old 03-07-2014, 07:10 AM
Apriliaboi
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey

Alright mate this ay goin to be a easy job I can help you but first think do I need disc and why cause you ain't on a. Track every day I understand if it's just for looks but it's no easy Job
Be for you start you goin to need 30mm Few pers of mole grips 15 17 19 I'm sure that's all u need and a breaker bar Start with jackin the car up some Axels you can trust no 5 pound shit Start m buy takin the nuts out the boot for the shocks both sides now get under the car and disconnect the brake lines use the grips to stop it leakin now take the two bolts out the top of the beam and get a mate to help u get it out is heavy now reapet with ur disc ones now you will need to go to the car breakers and get some new brake pipes for the disc as the drum ones won't go I tryed and you need the hand brake cable aswell and when you get it run it all on if you need further info email me on. Aprilia-boi@hotmail.com but it is a headache and it took me 3 hours to fit 2days of gettin parts will say get what you need befor you start the pipes will be ok off the 2l estate. And the hand brake from breakers or if you want new Ur lookin 68 I did go with new parts breaks save lives lol
Old 03-07-2014, 09:23 PM
Colin_P
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Quite an easy job.

As for the hoses, remove the drum versions and fit longer disc caliper versions. Not worth using second hand ones as they are about £10 for a pair.

Removing the shocks is a good idea for access for the four rear hub bolts.

The hardest parts of the job are pissing about with the heat shields to fit the handbrake cable and of course bleeding the system.

When I did this.....