Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

S2 Rs Cab boost issue! HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Mad4RSTurbos
I chose my username @ 22!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2 Rs Cab boost issue! HELP PLEASE

Hi guys,
Bought a nice clean 89 cab that is fitted with an S2 rs engine box ect...
I have had many Rs in the past but never a cab with an engine fitted at a later date!!
Problem I have is it runs fine very smooth and quiet. (drive from burnley - Northampton) it has guages fitted ect.. Shows approx 10psi in 3rd but I hear the boost and see it but it does not seem to take up the power make loads of noise and goes no where. Well has no punch at all. I'm thinking maybe a fueling issue so drove at a steady 60mph all the way back.

I'm going to get involved with it tomorrow and Monday. Looks like Amal valve is gone, clutch die not slip, no smoke or over boosting cut out pops, does not sound like a leak on boost ie i/cooler ect. Deffo does not compres the pipework all samcos and seem to be fine. idles a little high at 1500 ish. That about all I can say at the mo

I'll have a good look as I said tomorrow but a few pointers would be helpful!!!! Then picture to be added!!!

Thanks a lot guys cheers in advance!! Chris
Old 09-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Mad4RSTurbos

I phone predictive text is lame I can actually spell and I also can read! Haha look forward to your help guys thanks
Old 09-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Piston Broke
PassionFord Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

clutch slipping on full boost mate, the reading is showing you the turbo power is there etc, im running 278.9 on my RS but after 170 i think it was had to uprate the clutch !
Old 09-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Mad4RSTurbos

I did think that to begin with. But it seems to have a little more go in it after 100 miles when warm on motorway but id have thought clutch wise it would get worse if anything because of heat. It was not worse in any gear it was constant throughout drive. It's does not have the tell tale signs or sounds ect though mate otherwise I agree that would be my first idea it seems to be more of a "bogging down" issue. I'll no doubt replace clutch shortly anyway but I'm sure its along the lines of poss metering unit or possible pipe faults? Thanks though !!!!
Old 09-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Mad4RSTurbos

The revs don't rise after 3k ish as they should it's a very slow drawn out affair!!! I should of mentioned that previously. With any clutch slip I have had it spins up to high revs quite fast after turbo spools up and you just don't go anywhere and there's always that rank clutch burn smell too!!
Old 09-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Piston Broke
PassionFord Regular

yer i would say if you drive in a slower speed does it go up the revs fine etc, there doesnt need to be a smell mate, its not that its worn it just carnt cope with the boost, if there is a rev range shut of that could be due to the ECU shutting the fueling down due to it been over the '7psi' range as the ECU might not be chipped but my cash is on the clutch
Old 09-02-2013, 06:24 PM
Mad4RSTurbos

Yeah even at slow speeds it struggles to go smoothly up the range past 3 k ish and to give the boost although it is most definitely there. Up to 3 is spot on and also with no load free revving is fine. Last time i had a similar issue on another car it was to do with the way someone had removed the amal valve and re routed the pipework with a shit type of bleed valve. No bleed valves or controllers on this tho Agreed with the clutch mate for sure I really thought it was and I will change it but I'm sure it's gotta be something else. Would the wastegate valve cause anything similar if it broke or burnt away??
Old 09-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Mad4RSTurbos

Actually to add mate, I did once or twice get a better response from a boost kick but very low but most def felt it more only in second. I didn't do it much u see in case it was super over fueling or lean ect and until I have had a set up. Feels like I have about 80bhp at the mo!
Old 09-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Piston Broke
PassionFord Regular

Its hard to say without looking fella to be honest
Old 09-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Mad4RSTurbos

Yeah your damn right at least you obviously have knowledge mate there's so many people who just guess and make people look and change things that they didn't need to in the first place lol!! Same as me I can't wait to get on it tomorrow ! I did actually just see another thread after a guy hit rev limiter in 2nd he knocked out the fueling and needed a reset tune! Sounds so similar to my symptoms to!!! Maybe it got a killing one day and messed up the metering head!! And now the guy sold it to me. To be fair I understood the faults before I swapped it for my crap Impreza lol! I'll post up my findings ASAP cheers for help and advice mate!
Old 09-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Piston Broke
PassionFord Regular

By the way if it turns out there is a fault with the metering head i know how to fix/rebuild them so dont buy a crap second hand one i will talk you through it, i own a garage fella and have worked on all sorts of fords for to long so i guess all the headache might help you guys and save some of theses cars from been sold for parts etc ! dont get stressed tho mate they always get sorted in the long run !
Old 09-02-2013, 10:27 PM
Mad4RSTurbos

Ahhh that's good to know I wasn't sure if to spank out £250 on a new Bosch unit in the future as I saw a brand new one for sale packaged up. After a repair/rebuild is it much of an issue to sort out regarding setting up wise? I have never touched any of my previous metering units and adjustment screws but many of my friends are constantly messing about with them!! I run a garage also mate in Northampton. No way on this earth I'll be getting rid for parts it was featured in a mag in "91" as one of the first turbo technics 3i cabby conversions ever done if not the first! Have all the documents and paperwork to prove too. I'll have pics up soon!!.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:34 PM
Piston Broke
PassionFord Regular

yer get them up fella, the metering unit is so easy to test and rebuild its unreal i dont know where the fear came from about them lol if anything if yours isnt the clutch ect im thinking ECU wise like the amel or the ECU itself mate, there is ways to test it but you might as well go to a turners fella and have a set up done
Old 09-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Mad4RSTurbos

I shall have them up tomorrow eve mate keep an eye open. It would prob benefit from a rebuild / clean out at a guess anyway as I doubt it's ever been done!! I really think the amel valve / ecu too it's just like it's being blocked somehow! I have no idea yet of the state of the old amel pipes yet or where they have been put. I did however find the in car boost gauge pipe was squished flat and need replacing. So I took that off. On the inlet right side the pipe connect to a d valve and the t piece that went into the car is now open to atmosphere instead of into the car boost gauge. Thought that may also have a factor!

Last edited by Mad4RSTurbos; 09-02-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:57 PM
Mad4RSTurbos

Oh and yes jamsports just 4 mins from my house I'll be in there end of nxt week!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:13 PM
Piston Broke
PassionFord Regular

that will be half the problem fella they carnt have any vac leeks !
Old 10-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Mad4RSTurbos

Originally Posted by Piston Broke
that will be half the problem fella they carnt have any vac leeks !
Yes mate i thought as much with that escaping to atmosphere that cant be good vacuum wise i shall fit all new pipework tomorrow to all vacs and guages, and also check the ecu vac pipe behind the heater as my last on managed to squish itself together by working its way behind the heater and trapping itself shut.
Old 15-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Mad4RSTurbos

Right trouble sorted!! I work right next door to RGS Motorsport so they had my car the last two days to fix my boost fault. This is the reason and repair. Off the right of the inlet manifold the vac pipe that comes back towards the bulkhead to the ignition timing ecu was causing fault losing pressure. So after repair and a rolling dyno set up fault was identified as that unit (ignition timing ecu) it drop out the timing when under load. So block off the vac pipe to bypass the ecu and car runs a solid 157.6 Bhp at 0.6lbs boost which was nice. Obviously I require a new unit and have re connected this pipe so no boost again!!! But now I am unsure where to get one???? Ideas please!!! Also just bought a new cam and front mount which the tuning tech has recommended piper t2 kit and expects no less than 205bhp. He was very happy with the engines performance and said it was one on the sweetest he has heard for years. This guy also has the most amazing S1 rst which I saw today fully rebuilt nut and bolt wise AMAZING!!! I'm well chuffed but need to get a new unit someone help me out please???