Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

ST170 Multiple faults. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 01:55 AM
timpo1981
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ST170 Multiple faults. Please help

Hey guys

About 3 years ago I sold my 2005 ST170 to my neice, at the time the car was faultless and I'd had no trouble with it whatsoever whilst I owned it. I have just bought it back off her and have a few problems with it. firstly the MIL light is on and my neice tells me that it has been on for a while. The codes (P0135 & P0141) both relate to the O2 sensors internal heaters. Now my neice tells me that when the light first came on she had it scanned and the mechanic told her that it was the O2 sensors and he replaced them both and reset the light. However the light came back on more or less straight away so she took it back to the mechanic who scanned it again. He told her that it was the same codes as before so it must be a faulty ECU as the sensors were both new. As she was so skint at the time and couldn't afford an ECU and was also getting really poor MPG, she decided to park it up and SORN'd it. (This was last October)

I have just bought it back off of her as she is really skint and needs the money, and for some reason I felt responsible as I sold her the car. Anyway I have been scanning the forums regarding the O2 sensors and came across various posts which mention a fuse that tends to blow which can trigger the codes, so I checked the fuse and sure enough it was blown. I replaced the fuse and reset the mil light with my Bluefin scanner, and as soon as I started the car it blew again, and 2 more times after. Each time the mil light came straight back on with the same codes. Given the fact that both sensors were replaced recently and that this fuse keeps blowing I am guessing there has to be a fault in the wiring. The only problem is I have no idea which wiring to check or where the fault is likely to be. Obviously the first place to check is the O2 sensors connectors, however if these turn out to be ok what then? I would REALLY appreciate some help with this, as I dont have much money spare to spend on this. I am also clueless when it come electronics and have no idea how to use a multimeter.

The 2nd problem is a coolant leak from the thermostat housing, so I removed it to check and the rubber gasket/seal had perished quite badly and the plastic ring it sits in had cracked in 2 places. I have searched online for a new thermostat housing but can't seem to find one. So it looks like a dealer jobby unless anyone knows of where I might get one.

Also there is a weird problem with the guages in the cluster. When I turn the ignition off, the temp and petrol guages go down as normal, but immediately jump up to half way and sit there constantly. even with no key in the ignition. Any ideas?

Lastly there is a weird noise coming from the steering. It sounds like a kind of grumbling noise when turning the wheel. Again any ideas?

As I mentioned earlier I would really appreciate help with these issues, as I don't have much money and would like to fix as many of these as possible myself to save on mechanics fees.
Many thanks in advance!!
Old 05-02-2013, 05:31 PM
pcbp97
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cant help with the first problem, but the thermostat housing is the same as any 1.8 or 2.0 blacktop engine ,and the grating noise is most likely a cv joint or the bearing on the drivers side driveshaft.The gauge problem maybe a dodgy earth. HTH
Old 07-02-2013, 10:38 PM
timpo1981
Virgin

Originally Posted by pcbp97
Cant help with the first problem, but the thermostat housing is the same as any 1.8 or 2.0 blacktop engine ,and the grating noise is most likely a cv joint or the bearing on the drivers side driveshaft.The gauge problem maybe a dodgy earth. HTH
Hi pcbp97,

thanks for that info. I did however manage to find one on Ebay, which is now on the car. So that is the leak sorted.

Still... if there is anyone else that could help with the other issues I would be grateful. I took the car out for a spin earlier today and there is a very noticeable lack of power. I'm guessing it's to do with the Lambda issue, but I am loathe to change them, as they were changed recently.

I also noticed another problem which is the car seems to wonder all over the road at speed. It feels like it wont drive in a straight line and you have to keep adjusting the steering to keep her straight. Also if you hit a dip or bump in the road the steering wheel trys to jump out of your hands. Anyone any idea what this might be? Could it need tracking?

Cheers
Timpo
Old 09-02-2013, 12:29 AM
timpo1981
Virgin

Can anyone help me out here please?
Old 13-02-2013, 12:51 PM
ian_zs

may need tracking but may also be in need of some wishbone bushes. sounds like something is on the move under there if your hitting bumps and its being deflecting in a different direction.

if thats the case wishbones are an easy change from any part suppliers. with regular tools and a balljoint separator. Also make sure if you do change wishbones you get a new pinch bolt for the hub.
Old 26-02-2013, 02:03 PM
timpo1981
Virgin

Firstly, thanks for all above replies. Much appreciated. I had the suspension checked and everything was ok. So, I had the tracking done and the handling has improved but is still a bit squiffy. I am putting this down to an odd tyre, as I can't figure out what else it could be.

I also decided to jack the car up and check the Lambda sensors and wiring to see if I could figure out what was causing the codes. Well I did. It turns out my Nieces mechanic lied to her about replacing the Lambdas. The Pre cat Lambda looks like it has taken an hefty whack and is all bent out of shape. From what I could see it looks like it would be impossible to get it out without dropping a cat. However I'm not sure I would be able to get a new one in as it also looks like the exhaust system has tacken a whack and has been pushed/bent backwards, so ther isn't enough space to get one back in. It also looks like someone has had a go at getting the sensor out by whacking it with an hammer and screwdriver!!!

Anyway not sure what I can do about this so any advice would as ever be appreciated.
Old 26-02-2013, 02:19 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

I did the sensors on my old st170, was pretty straight forward. I would disconnect that one, hit it back straight then put a lambda removal tool on it and it should come straight out.
Old 26-02-2013, 02:38 PM
timpo1981
Virgin

Originally Posted by RichieST
I did the sensors on my old st170, was pretty straight forward. I would disconnect that one, hit it back straight then put a lambda removal tool on it and it should come straight out.
Cheers for the reply.

But in all honesty, not so sure it would be as easy ad that. For a start I doubt it would straighten up as there isn't enough room under there. As I said everything looks like its been pushed back. Even if I did get it out I doubt a new one would fit straight in its place. It just doesn't look like there would be enough space for it. Or am I missing something?