Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

lads what info have you guys got about the ford 2.0i I4 twincam 8v???

Search this Thread

Old 17-12-2012, 02:11 PM
zetecnovice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lads what info have you guys got about the ford 2.0i I4 twincam 8v???

lads what info have you guys got about the ford 2.0i I4 twincam 8v???

i know its not a ford engine renowned for setting the world on fire with its fantasticness but...........its what i have!

i'm after any info you have or any links to info on these engines, whats good/bad with them, what tuning parts if any ican get? is there any parts interchangabuility with other fords?

mine has only done 39500miles from new with really good service history, the little i know is that its worth haveing the timing chain tensioer changed at the 1st side of chain rattle!!!
apart from that its from what info i can gather a pretty mundane motor!

i'm going to do the usual mods like a k&n airfilter in a cold air fed box, maybe stainless exhaust 2.5" or maybe 2.75" diameter, not sure what would best for performance????

i'd appreciated any info at all, i heard there was a turbo conversion but i'm not 100% on that? if anyone knows anything about them or is there any possabuility i could turbo what i have cheaply???? without ruining the engine!!

cheers guys/gals
Old 17-12-2012, 02:45 PM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

You would be best off logging onto the Ford Sierra Owners Club at www.forum.fordsierraclub.co.uk for the information on the I4 DOHC engine.

I could go into lots of details, but would probably bore most people on here to death in the process.
Old 17-12-2012, 03:08 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

as a matter of course i would be changing the timing chain, oil pump chain, guides and plunger

very easy and straightforward if you are handy with some spanners and can get the front crank bolt undone

but other than that, as ian has said, plenty of "different" things to be done with them
Old 17-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Cardie
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive heard they are a brilliant crusing engine, heavy flywheel? Good for sitting at 70 on a motorway for hours.
Old 17-12-2012, 04:08 PM
zetecnovice

ian let folk be bored, i know i wont be, lol

my engine runs pretty well, i drove it from london on satarday at 60mph & it seems ok, seems to give the same mpg as my 2.5di recovery transit on a long run so thats ok

i tend to drive at 60 most on the time on motorways as you dont get anywhere a great deal faster these days

my aim with modding the engine a bit is to make it feel a bit more perky, proboly could do with plugging into a code reader to see if it has any dodgy sensors etc etc

i want to de-cat it, so i'll make a pipe for that, when MOT time comes i can pop the cat back on

mine is the slightly newer 115hp version
Old 17-12-2012, 04:16 PM
tonysierra4x4
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

i would be interested in wether anything can be done to make these seem a little more responsive as i have one in a sierra.
Old 17-12-2012, 04:40 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

my absolute record was doing 130 miles (empty motorway) on just a tad over 8 litres
73 mpg

it's worth fitting the 3.62 diff as well if you are motorway but stick to the 3.92 if you want town stuff

the general mods are k+n filter kit plus manifold for starters

for more the easiest mod is the 2.3 swap, with some hassle you can keep the 8v head but you'll need after market manegment

170 brake is easy enough

get the lump from the scorpio as it's rwd or you can use the galaxy lump if you tap the holes for the rwd fitment
Old 17-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

As said, you should have a look through the FSOC website, this topic has been covered A LOT, but:

They are one of my favourite ford engines to date, if you strip one down and compare it to a zetec you will be amazed. I can only describe it as being UGG! The cam lobes alone are probably bigger than a whole A-series! I'm not saying that bigger is better.... but we all know it is

There is actually a lot you can do for/with them, however there aren't many 'off the shelf' tuning kits available.

As dojj says replace the timing tensioner, however at 39000 miles my opinion is the chain will be fine, most change the timing chain at 100,000 miles, this is almost always due to tensioner breakup/fail. Mine broke a tensioner, the securing bolt fell into the sump and smashed a big end bearing cap. The only reason the engine stopped was because the CPS toothed wheel got damaged at the same time. A quick scrape of the bearing cap, welded the cps tooth back on and the engine was good as gold.

Tuning wise:

Before you spend lots of money one intakes and exhausts, I would look at the 2.0 16v head found on the Scorpio. This combined with RS2000 camshafts and a sensible exhaust manifold should yield 150bhp perhaps a little more with out catalyst and a free flowing exhaust/inlet.

Next up comes the 2.3 conversion. Using a Scorpio bottom end, with the above head and cams minus the balance shafts is good for 180bhp and lots of torque, perhaps 200 bhp with some hotter cams (available from piper). I would also be looking at changing the ecu to an after market type. **EDIT** you may need to use the 2.3l head to correct compression ratio....

OR find a turbo technicians turbo conversion, bolted straight onto a standard 8v engine these make 200bhp.

There is a chap around with a 2.3 turbo drift car making really really good power.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sleepyc...hy/5265038722/

I don't know anything about the car but would love to know more!

Rob,

Last edited by Rob_DOHC; 17-12-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 17-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Found out some more info

http://www.powermaxengineering.com/p...20finished.htm

Thats what a well build I4 CAN do.... (430 bhp @ 1.7bar)

Rob,
Old 17-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by dojj
my absolute record was doing 130 miles (empty motorway) on just a tad over 8 litres
73 mpg

it's worth fitting the 3.62 diff as well if you are motorway but stick to the 3.92 if you want town stuff

the general mods are k+n filter kit plus manifold for starters

for more the easiest mod is the 2.3 swap, with some hassle you can keep the 8v head but you'll need after market manegment

170 brake is easy enough

get the lump from the scorpio as it's rwd or you can use the galaxy lump if you tap the holes for the rwd fitment
My first twincam (carb) also did amazing mpg if you drove it like a pensioner, I did 110 miles on 10litres, which is just about 50mpg.

Rob,
Old 17-12-2012, 05:35 PM
zetecnovice

where would a decent exhaust manifold be available? i've always found this to be a great thing to do on any engine!!!!

chrikey with some self fettling (sounds wrong but yet so right lol) there is more potencial than i thought!

torque & mpg is what i need more than out & out power!!! i know these are both things you associate with diesel motors but i've buggered about with vw diesels & i got fed-up with diesel being ingraned in my hands, its a smelly old & fuel, getting back on a petrol as they are far cleaner & less smelly to work with

i dont use the vehicle too much to be honest, its just daily driver but as its low mileage & been looked after i'd like to get that bit of umph out of it

mine is the silvertop 115hp model, 2.0i

a nice oldschool laggy turbo setup would be nice, somthing that could be setup so "off" boost up to say 4000rpm 4500rpm it would be good mpg so town tootling with the oldman slippers on is cheap on the pocket Ł, but once on boost it would be a bit MENTAL that would be my ideal!

if i could get one those turbo kits that would probobly be enough umph for my needs
Old 17-12-2012, 05:44 PM
marky g
Regular Contributor

I no of a complete turbo technics kit for sale for the i4
But it's Ł1000
Old 17-12-2012, 06:02 PM
zetecnovice

chrikey, i'll have to stick with mcost modding what i have, my vehicle has only cost me Ł1000 including insurance tax n test, rust free also

that kind of money i'd almost get a cosworth setup
Old 17-12-2012, 06:02 PM
cossiejay
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by zetecnovice
ian let folk be bored, i know i wont be, lol

my engine runs pretty well, i drove it from london on satarday at 60mph & it seems ok, seems to give the same mpg as my 2.5di recovery transit on a long run so thats ok

i tend to drive at 60 most on the time on motorways as you dont get anywhere a great deal faster these days

my aim with modding the engine a bit is to make it feel a bit more perky, proboly could do with plugging into a code reader to see if it has any dodgy sensors etc etc

i want to de-cat it, so i'll make a pipe for that, when MOT time comes i can pop the cat back on

mine is the slightly newer 115hp version
believe me doing 85 on the motorway gets you there quicker unless you get stuck behind someone doing 60 of couse
Old 17-12-2012, 06:18 PM
marky g
Regular Contributor

Ye it is high priced. Although there is belived to be only 3 of the kits left now how true this is I don't no
So I suppose he will get it if some body has set there hart on one

I have one my self. And it goes very well to be fair.

You could look at it another way. My friend has spent Ł1100 on his engine and mine sales past him. And he has no woosh noise as NA
Old 17-12-2012, 06:27 PM
zetecnovice

Originally Posted by cossiejay
believe me doing 85 on the motorway gets you there quicker unless you get stuck behind someone doing 60 of couse
yeah but its costing you in fuel & why through more tax at the goverment pocket, i can here the coffers now k-ching k-ching k-ching!!!

in todays traffic you never make time with speed on todays motorways, i drive for my living, day in day out, the 1st 20miles getting out of london the outside lane is often slower than the inside truck lane! mostly due to all the WANNABE STIGS!!!
so you know where i'm at!!!! inside lane at 60 with the tunes banging out & a cuppa tea in my hand, spot on!!!

myslef & a work mate did this comparison on more than one occasion, me at 60 in my van, him going like the stig in true white van man fashion
birmingham to sandy gate services exceter m5, i arrived 9 minutes after my workmate, a few times i could see him ahead of me getting caught in traffic then bollocking off like a nutta

on the flipside i have made it from birmingham to scotland in 4.5 hours fully loaded with 1.5 ton in the back of the van, pro-plus in my eyes & redbull in my tummy & no numberplates on the van at night on the odd occasion & i still have a clean license

would'nt do it nowadays to many fucktards in the outside lane in audis & bmws "wannabe racers" its just to busy day or night
Old 17-12-2012, 07:41 PM
zetecnovice

rob dohc : Tuning wise:

Before you spend lots of money one intakes and exhausts, I would look at the 2.0 16v head found on the Scorpio. This combined with RS2000 camshafts and a sensible exhaust manifold should yield 150bhp perhaps a little more with out catalyst and a free flowing exhaust/inlet.

is this a straight swap or would i need the ecu from the scorpio?
Old 17-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You will need the ecu from a mk5 rs2000 with wiring loom, if you use the rs2000 cams. Or the scorpio ecu if you use just the 16v head.

Rob
Old 04-01-2013, 11:24 PM
leedsrhinos126
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any developments on this?
Im in the same boat, wanting a little more power from the old 2.0i. I'ts been a great engine to me so far, well only had it 4 months and done 4k (cossie replica). I've got a cone filter and when i got the car it had a straight through Powerflow stainless exhaust and it did shift but was way too loud so had a silencer fitted in the middle but the engine felt restricted and was down on power so removed that in place for a straight through silencer which is now perfect.
Also i put Ł50 worth of fuel in each time, which was 38litres with yesterdays prices and each time this only returns 137mile which i worked out at 16 MPG.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:02 AM
zetecnovice

should be better on fuel than that bud, somat must be amiss if it aint a right foot opightissue ;P teehee

mine does about 100miles for less than Ł30 @ 60/65ishmph steady will do more no probs, my engine is in a transit petrol! ,semi hightop, making my own de-cat pipe at the moment, also cause the exhaust on my van go's all the way from the front to the back, i'm going to shorten it, 1 to get rid og the weight & 2 so its a single silancer exiting just behind the drivers side front wheel arch

i want to fit a k&n cone filter too, i was told by a ford dealers mechanic, when you make any changes to the exhuast/air filter, he said to disconnect the battery for an hour

when you re-connect the ecu on the old 2.0i will re-calculate to run the motor at its optimum settings for the small changes that have been made to exhaust/air filter

he also said to get rid on the egr system on my van engine, not sure if the sierra engine has the egr setup! he thid this will make a noticable differance to throttle responce, & should feel smoother on long drives

also a good thing is sell some shit ya dont need & get an ashley tubular manifold on it

as i say, any change you make to air intake/exhahust, disconnect the ecu for an hour

make sure ya have ya radio code if its the ford radio :P
Old 05-01-2013, 06:18 AM
kateean2

You will need the ecu from a mk5 rs2000 with wiring loom, if you use the rs2000 cams.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:57 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by tonysierra4x4
i would be interested in wether anything can be done to make these seem a little more responsive as i have one in a sierra.
Fit a scorpio 2.3 16v version