Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

engine malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 22-04-2012, 08:36 PM
herald150
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine malfunction

Hi, can anyone help please?
I have changed the pollen filter in a March 2009 2.0 Focus diesel. To do it I disconnected and removed the fuse box under the glove box. The car runs but the "engine malfunction" message is on and the indicators don't work. An OBD II code reader is showing "no trouble codes". Can anyone tell me what the problem is please?
Old 22-04-2012, 08:54 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

Sounds like one of the connectors isn't in properly on the fuse box if that's all you have disturbed.
Old 22-04-2012, 09:06 PM
herald150
Virgin

Default Engine malfunction

Thanks Gary, you maybe right but they look OK. I'm rather nervous of car electronics ............maybe I'll take it all out and start again ............. maybe I'll have a different problem then ........ ho hum
Old 22-04-2012, 09:41 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

Easy to say after the event, but you don't need to remove the fusebox completely to fit the pollen filter.

I would check each connector, remove and install them. Good luck!
Old 25-04-2012, 07:27 PM
herald150
Virgin

Default engine malfunction

Fixed it. I needed a chappie with a fully fledged fault code reader. All caused by a fault code on the cruise control which he cleared then hey presto – no message and working indicators . I didn’t realise modern cars have essentially two places where fault codes lodge. A generic one covering things such as emissions which are accessible through an OBD reader so MOT stations and the like can fix faults to get cars through MOTs. And a second manufacturer one that holds codes accessible only by more expensive readers: presumably in an effort to get people to take their cars to the main dealer to be fixed.

Next year maybe I'll work around the fuse box

Anyhow thanks for your help.