Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Rear Brake Drum MASSIVLY overheating

Search this Thread

Old 24-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Sp3no
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Brake Drum MASSIVLY overheating

I have changed brake shoes on many cars but this is the first time on a Ford focus. The car is the missus 2003 1.6 Auto with Drum Brakes and ABS
The brakes were squeeling a good one hence i decided to change them, all very straight forward nothing out the norm. Undone the hub nut and slid one drum off, had to undo the 4 rear hub nuts on the other to get it off. Now however the squeeling is back with avengance, there is plenty of copper slip on the 6 contact points. BUT i have noticed the drivers rear is obviously binding as it was smoking when we stopped the other day and was a million times hotter than passenger side. Jacked it up and the wheel is free to spin no problems, stripped it down, more copper grease, squeel gone away, next day squeel back and overheating again? WTF is going on, i backed off the adjuster, put on the drum heard it clicking when the pedal was applied and it was adjusting itsself, whats gone wrong?
It should be fine surely, i cant see anything that i have done wrong. Handbrake is fine, wheel spins freely it just binds when it feels like it

Last edited by Sp3no; 24-11-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 24-11-2009, 12:42 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Faves for this are the handbrake cable sticking, or auto adjuster not put back right.
It should still not squeal though, what shoes are you using ?, did you chamfer the leading edge of each shoe ?
Could conceivably be a sticking wheel cylinder as well.
tabetha
Old 24-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Sp3no
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shoes are Ferodo ones from Halfrauds. I did not champher the edge of the shoes, i did not know i was mean to , the wheel cylinders seem to be operating fine as i had to stick a cable tie around them to stop them popping out on their own when i was changing the shoes. I really am at a wits end with it, i will have to check the handbrake but you can hear the shoes are binding when you pull off from a stop with no brake applied they squeel a little initially. The squeel was there before and now i have changed the pads its there again. It must be something else
Old 24-11-2009, 05:01 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most people just put a chamfer on the leading edge of the shoe on the wheel cylinder in a forward direction.
Ferrodo are good kit and certainly shouldn't make a noise, but noise can't occur without vibration, do the shoes look like they have a polished shiny look about them ?
tabetha