Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

heated rear window ariel amplifier mk4 xr3i

Search this Thread

Old 22-11-2009, 01:43 PM
skypeller
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default heated rear window ariel amplifier mk4 xr3i

ever since ive had the car the heated rear window and fm band on the radio have not worked at all, i have today taken the panels off the inside of the bootlid and had my electrical tester handy and dont seem to be getting any power from either of the wires entering each end of the amplifier unit. some one had disconected the rear window on the driverside connection (the window is fine because i have tested the resistance and fm still does not work nor the HRW)

which is supposed to be the positive wire enteriing the amp and which is the positive leaving the amp? thanks.. maybe broken wire sumwhere but cant find any, tried new relay and fuse is fine...switch iluminates etc.
the rear wiper and washer works fine.

theres a beesting ariel fitted at somepoint and im not sure which ariel is being used currently would this make any difference to the hrw?

thanks for any help
Old 22-11-2009, 02:00 PM
skypeller

thought it might be worth mentioning the driver side rear speaker doesnt work either due to wiring issue
Old 22-11-2009, 03:13 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The reception is normally very good through the HRW, if the amp is working ok.
Which aerial is the aerial lead connected to, this will determine where the stereo is searching for a signal.
It might be easier to find the earth at the aerial, as there are only two wires the other must therefore be the live, disconnect the wires and see if one is going down to earth.
What colour are the two wires you have ?, be aware that VERY often the wires break inside the insulation where they go through the grommet/tube into the body from the tailgate, of course being broken inside the insulation you can't see it, but probing along the wire till you find a hot(live) spot will show you where the break is, trace both the amp wire colours to the rear of the stereo, this should also help in identifying the live.
tabetha
Old 22-11-2009, 03:28 PM
skypeller

wires are black and other is red and white assuming obviously black is earth but something does quite add up with the tester must be a broken wire do you know where they run once inside the roof through that grommet from the bootlid?

also where do the speaker wires run for rear? its fed down into the inner wing sumhow and dont know where it goes then im thinking thats damaged aswel
Old 22-11-2009, 05:48 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Black is LIVE, never ever earth, not on a european ford anyway, is on certain others though!!
On european fords BLACK is a SWITCHED live, ie after the switch, presumably this would be from your stereo, the other may also be a live if earthed through the body of the amp, presumably the hrw wire goes through the unit also ?
tabetha
Old 22-11-2009, 09:17 PM
skypeller

yes there is two wires going into the unit...one i assume is earthed to the boot lid and another (red and white) ...and on the other side of the amp is the two black wires connecting to the heated rear window i cant detect voltage anywhere with hrw switched on and with fm selected to search on the radio
with engine running (incase it made a diff to hrw operation)
Old 23-11-2009, 11:18 AM
skypeller

after a lot of faffing around in the rain it turned out to be the HRW switch playing up and breaking the circuit for both the amp and the HRW so now i have Fm and hrw working

only thing now is the drivers rear speaker is dead...wiring it fine all the way from the speaker to the ford equalizer/amp unit ....must be internal fault with the unit or sumwhere between the unit and the radio ??? hmmm