Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

ABS Light. MOT looming.

Old 21-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Mitch01roo
ZVH sold =(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Light. MOT looming.

Bought my Fiesta RST with 2.1 zvh 2 weeks ago. My ABS light has come on so I went under car to have a look and both belts are missing. I need to get it through the MOT this week. Are the belts easy to replace or can I just join the 2 wires that go to the belt tension sensors so the light will function as normal?

Thanks again guys.
Old 21-11-2009, 10:49 PM
gary fraser
PassionFord Regular

take the bulb out of the dash mate thats what i did, had the abs done away with now was s**t anyway
Old 22-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Mitch01roo
ZVH sold =(

Thanks for the reply Gary. i may have to do that!
Old 22-11-2009, 11:58 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another option is not to use a wanker to mot the car like gary obviously does, where fitted the abs light has to function as per ford intended, you could remove it, but ANY part left on the car would result in a fail, it has to be 100% of the system removed.
If I knew Gary's mot man I would report him, rules are there for a reason, it's not like a slightly broken plate or a dicky exhaust hole, brakes are a bit more important.
In essence if the MOT is done correctly taking the bulb out will be a instant fail, it doesn't have to have abs, but if fitted it must work perfectly.
tabetha
Old 22-11-2009, 12:46 PM
shalon
PassionFord Regular

wire it up to ure oil pressure switch so it goes out with the engine running like the oil light
Old 23-11-2009, 04:46 PM
mk4gartrac
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Tabs is right as usual i had the good idea of taking bulb out on mine and it failed.Ive now removed it all as was crap anyways.Now have big brakes and a bias box.And any mot tester missing sumit like that should be reported as someone could get hurt or killed as brakes are the most important part of the car.
Old 23-11-2009, 06:13 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mk4gartrac
Tabs is right as usual i had the good idea of taking bulb out on mine and it failed.Ive now removed it all as was crap anyways.Now have big brakes and a bias box.And any mot tester missing sumit like that should be reported as someone could get hurt or killed as brakes are the most important part of the car.
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who feels strongly about this, I'd rather have a fail, than a pass when it shouldn't.
The mot test is seriously easy/slack anyway compared with some other countries.
The last garage I reported was done by trading standards also, they sold a galaxy mpv with two completely jammed rear calipers to a woman with 4 or 5 kids, all young kids as well, found out it was a special deal, as a neighbour worked there.
When tested on rollers there was ZERO action from the rear brakes, plus numerous other failure points.
tabetha