Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

4x4 cosworth fuel pumpproblem

Search this Thread

Old 25-10-2009, 12:52 PM
darrenr1969
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 cosworth fuel pumpproblem

Hello , I,ve got a standard fuel pump on my 1990 saff 4x4 cosworth and the fuel pump banjo itself has rusted and is leaking badly.
On e-bay they are selling them for a bosch 044 pump , and my question is is that the pump that i have fitted,and does anyone know wherelse I can get one from,many thanks,Darren.
Old 25-10-2009, 08:57 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No the std pump ends in 941, but nothing stopping you replacing with 044, especially if upgrading power.
The banjo needs decent copper/aluminum washers either side, these are around 50p each from ford as bought some a few weeks back.
These do NOT need to tightened up silly tight as people do, the "U" shaped fuel pipe from the pump to filter is NLA, but easy to get braided one made up.
Have you rewired the fuel pump and fan circuit, as this is a must do on cossie's of any power.
tabetha
Old 25-10-2009, 09:35 PM
darrenr1969
Regular Contributor

I don,t really want to replace the pump, just the rusted banjo and was wanting to know where to find a standard replacement.(banjo and copper washers only).
Iam curious to know why I need to change the fan and fuel pump wiring though,
cheers,Darren.
Old 26-10-2009, 04:20 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

The problem is with wanting to change just the banjo, the pipes are heated onto the banjo's so that is a problem, unless you use OP and some clips, getting braided loop made is better.
The reason for the fan and pump upgrade is the age of the wiring, it builds up resistance as it ages, and so after 20 odd years+ will show a lot less under load at the pump, the consequences of this can be melted pistons after running lean.
It's a very simple job to do, well worth while even on a standard car, you can even buy pre made looms from ebay etc.
The problem with the fan loom/circuit is it was a pile of crap to start with, and not nearly man enough for the job, hence why most melt the fusebox and burn out, stopping fans and causing overheating/engine damage.
Again very easy to do this as well.
If you purely want the banjo's only some one like Pirtek or Parkers will do these for a few quid, or any local pipe making place.
tabetha
Old 26-10-2009, 04:20 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

The problem is with wanting to change just the banjo, the pipes are heated onto the banjo's so that is a problem, unless you use OP and some clips, getting braided loop made is better.
The reason for the fan and pump upgrade is the age of the wiring, it builds up resistance as it ages, and so after 20 odd years+ will show a lot less under load at the pump, the consequences of this can be melted pistons after running lean.
It's a very simple job to do, well worth while even on a standard car, you can even buy pre made looms from ebay etc.
The problem with the fan loom/circuit is it was a pile of crap to start with, and not nearly man enough for the job, hence why most melt the fusebox and burn out, stopping fans and causing overheating/engine damage.
Again very easy to do this as well.
If you purely want the banjo's only some one like Pirtek or Parkers will do these for a few quid, or any local pipe making place.
tabetha
Old 26-10-2009, 06:37 PM
darrenr1969
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the info Tabetha..I,ve never had such a money pit of a car...Its a good job I could never part with it.
Old 27-10-2009, 06:29 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

No probs matey, hope it's sorted soon, they can be money pits, but at least it stops you spending so much down the pub!!
tabetha