Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Fuel pump wiring

Search this Thread

Old 20-10-2009, 08:46 PM
BRAM
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuel pump wiring

I have a sapphire cosworth 4x4 and was told by msd that i need to re-wire the fuel pump. Are there any kits availible to buy? or what wire should i use? and anyone got any diagrams of how to do it?

Thanks
Steve
Old 20-10-2009, 09:08 PM
johnnysash
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not aware of any kit availible.... the reason for the need to rewire is that you will not have good voltage (ie more than 12volts) at your fuel pump. Over time wires get old and need replacing due to resistance building up in the cable causing the voltage to drop between the point of supply (battery) and the point of load (your pump). best to get some nice thick cable (5 meters will be plenty enough) as it will have less resistance to start with. your local car spares shop should be able to help you.
Old 20-10-2009, 09:12 PM
johnnysash
PassionFord Regular

oh and that did not really answer any of your questions. sorry.

If my memory serves me right the wire you will need to replace is the thick black and red one. get cable as a minimum that is AT LEAST AS THICK as the black and red wire or thicker if you can. replace it from as close to the pump as possible and as close to the point of supply as possible. also make sure you join them properly... dont just twist them together and wrap in selotape (sorry if this sounds silly but I have seen it done!!!) use solder.

best of luck.
Old 20-10-2009, 09:20 PM
stickertone

i've seen rewire kits on e bay for Ł45..... on there from time to time.....
Old 20-10-2009, 09:57 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

dont buy the kits; its only a bit of wire, a blade fuse and relay; should cost no more than Ł20 max

should take no more than 2 hours; the worst part is running the cable under the trim!

diagram

Old 20-10-2009, 11:27 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Run new wire direct to battery as shown, but also the earth direct from battery do NOT bolt onto bodywork, this is asking for trouble.
The earth carries as much load as the live.
tabetha
Old 21-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Captain Cotswold
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello to LHD220Turbo
Sorry to plagiarise and alter your work, but I'm trying to understand what tabs has put.

Originally Posted by tabetha
Run new wire direct to battery as shown, but also the earth direct from battery do NOT bolt onto bodywork, this is asking for trouble.
The earth carries as much load as the live.
tabetha
Like this?
Haha, and then he realises you can't just ad a picture.
Ok then, Tabetha, you're advising that as on LHD220Turbo's above diagram the black line (earth) should leave fuel pump neg terminal - Do not stop/connect at 'chassis earth point' - Do not stop at relay terminal 85 - Proceed with earth direct to battery negative terminal. 1 wire, no breaks, no chassis earth in, Fuel pump neg to battery neg. Yes?
Old 21-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Sonic Boom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

You can buy a ready made loom from Ryan off here they are very good quality, and if you hate wiring like me it makes your task alot easier.
Rich
Old 22-10-2009, 03:40 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The relay can be wired down to chassis earth, as that really doesn't need any amount of current, but yes totally singular line for earth direct from the battery to the pump, if you want to tap off this for the relay earth that is fine, but not needed as sure to be nearby earth point.
I put the relay behind the n/s/r seat upright, as in the metal work behind the seat at top, underside of parcel shelf there is already a 8mm hole there, ideal to secure a relay holder, then when at shows etc, just pop out relay for a bit of extra security.
tabetha
Old 22-10-2009, 07:09 PM
2wd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S13RAM
I have a sapphire cosworth 4x4 and was told by msd that i need to re-wire the fuel pump. Are there any kits availible to buy? or what wire should i use? and anyone got any diagrams of how to do it?

Thanks
Steve
Hi ...It's quite easy as DIY..but you can also get it from these guys..http://www.racetronix.com/